Dominant Breeding

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
What would happen if a Kitsune had a kid with a Minotaur or a Harpy? All three of them are dominant breeders.

Also are the kids the PC has with Briene straight up Minotaurs? Or are they like the New Texans?

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
If i had to guess it's because it'd be weird if the champion started siring/birthing kitsune all around the frost marches. They wouldn't be subjected to kitsune culture and it would be cause for a whole other deal of problems that i'm pretty sure the kitsune and probably Keros, would not enjoy having to deal with. that's what i came up with anyway, don't know what the creator's or creators' thought process was.

Mad Dog

Jun 1, 2018
If i had to guess it's because it'd be weird if the champion started siring/birthing kitsune all around the frost marches. They wouldn't be subjected to kitsune culture and it would be cause for a whole other deal of problems that i'm pretty sure the kitsune and probably Keros, would not enjoy having to deal with. that's what i came up with anyway, don't know what the creator's or creators' thought process was.
Makes sense.

Shizenhakai

Jul 9, 2016
The result of two dominant races breeding would be purely one race.
I. e. If a Minotaur impregnates a Kitsune, the resulting children would either be full minos or full Kitsunes.
Maybe 2 Minotaur children and one Kitsune child.

Seems I was wrong..
Got the idea from, I think, another game.

Last edited:

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
My point still stands no? If they're a kitsune, they can still have kids with Brienne, even though both of them are dominant races. That's what i was thinking when i posted, at least.

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
The PC's offspring are always what the other race is as a result of the same thing that lets you TF by just eating shit raw. As Savin put it, they are literally the opposite of a dominant breeder

Alypia

Apr 22, 2016
I think that Hashat's kids with the PC are the only exception to the dominant breeding rule. But Hashat baby-making sex is race-locked to elf PCs, so there's no need to write all the dizzying variations for the PC's potential contribution to their kids' genes. The kids will always be mare-elf hybrids. It's a practical reason rather than a lore one.

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
The PC's offspring are always what the other race is as a result of the same thing that lets you TF by just eating shit raw. As Savin put it, they are literally the opposite of a dominant breeder
Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to contradict him, i understand what you two mean.

I thought that kitsune transformation overruled all of that though.

Balaknightfang

Resident Coke Addict
Aug 5, 2018
I think that Hashat's kids with the PC are the only exception to the dominant breeding rule. But Hashat baby-making sex is race-locked to elf PCs, so there's no need to write all the dizzying variations for the PC's potential contribution to their kids' genes. The kids will always be mare-elf hybrids. It's a practical reason rather than a lore one.
Hashat is a half-marefolk. Your children are the same as she is.

Reactions: Alypia

Violyn

Jan 3, 2017
that's a good way to put it haha

My guessing from what Balak said is that, since the champion becomes so susceptive to changes and mutations, you could say that the champions genes that are used in conception also change to "behave" (i think that's one way to put it) similarly to how the other mate's genes work, making the zygote have only cells of a single race, making it so the champion can only reproduce beings of other races, thus not being a dominant breeder.

Exrav

Apr 17, 2020
that's a good way to put it haha

My guessing from what Balak said is that, since the champion becomes so susceptive to changes and mutations, you could say that the champions genes that are used in conception also change to "behave" (i think that's one way to put it) similarly to how the other mate's genes work, making the zygote have only cells of a single race, making it so the champion can only reproduce beings of other races, thus not being a dominant breeder.
I believe it's a case of the Champ's genes being so mutable, that another race's genes just devour them.

Reactions: Violyn

TheShepard256

Wait, you weren't joking with that question before...?
Nope. To me at least, the way it was worded left some room for interpretation; it could mean:
  • That dominant-breeding races simply can't naturally have kids with each other, leaving the possibility that there's an unnatural way for them to have kids with each other that hasn't been discovered yet.
  • That under the current state of knowledge in Savarra, there's no way for such hybrids to be made. Like the above, there may be some unnatural way of doing it, it's just that Savarra's current magical knowledge is insufficient to produce such an unnatural way.
  • That only divine intervention can produce such hybrids. As such, their existence depends entirely on the gods bringing them into existence.
  • That not even divine intervention could produce such hybrids, and they are thus literally impossible.
Related to this is that we don't know exactly what makes dominant-breeder hybrids impossible; if we did, that would narrow down the list of possible interpretations. I have a few ideas on what could be going on (none of which are mutually exclusive to each other, so there may be more than one of them going on at the same time), and what they'd mean for the possibility of such hybrids:
  • Dominant-breeding races are genetically or biochemically incompatible with each other. If this is true, then like with half-leithans in TiTS, this can be bypassed with sufficiently advanced biological manipulation tech.
  • There's some sort of magic in the gametes of dominant-breeding races that causes them to always breed true (which I think is extremely likely since genetics alone could never explain dominant/true breeding). When members of two dominant-breeding races try to conceive a child, those magics from each would-be parent's gametes interfere with each other in such a way that prevents them from forming a viable embryo. If some means of suppressing that magic were to be discovered or invented (and there's no guarantee that it could), then that suppression could be used to bypass this interference.
  • The gods, or some subset of them, actively monitor all potential pregnancies, and terminate any ones that would violate a prohibition on dominant-breeder hybrids. Short of stripping the gods of this power, this would be impossible to bypass.