"Beautiful Sword"-esque weapon

BlackRangerXIII

Aug 27, 2015
I have a small question: Will there be something akin to the Beautiful Sword from CoC 1 on CoC 2? I really love the sword

(PS: Hopefully posted on the right place and i'm just asking if there's anyone writing about it or something like it)

TheShepard256

So far, the closest would be weapons that cannot be equipped by those who have too much or not enough corruption (the aforementioned Sanctified Gladius requires no more than 25, the Girthy Rod requires at least 20).
Since CoC2 doesn't really use equipment tiers/levels, balancing purposes and game design philosophy would probably require any sword like this to be less "gets more powerful at high/low corruption" and more "has different but equally powerful stats at different levels of corruption".

RedIce2112

Jul 22, 2019
So far, the closest would be weapons that cannot be equipped by those who have too much or not enough corruption (the aforementioned Sanctified Gladius requires no more than 25, the Girthy Rod requires at least 20).
Since CoC2 doesn't really use equipment tiers/levels, balancing purposes and game design philosophy would probably require any sword like this to be less "gets more powerful at high/low corruption" and more "has different but equally powerful stats at different levels of corruption".
Perhaps a spell that attacks HP at low corruption and a spell that attacks resolve at high corruption

Tristan Black

Feb 18, 2016
I'd rather not encourage people to aim for perfect purity or perfect corruption. While I can understand game systems that work off such things, it tends to encourage a black-and-white perspective and philosophy, because that gives you the best results by this specific metric.

Like real life, I'd prefer the corruption angle to simply be more of a grey zone, and mostly affect how you come off to and approach others. A mere background mechanic, with only the crazies aiming for the far edges.

Paradox01

Feb 8, 2020
USA
Perhaps a spell that attacks HP at low corruption and a spell that attacks resolve at high corruption

I'd rather not encourage people to aim for perfect purity or perfect corruption. While I can understand game systems that work off such things, it tends to encourage a black-and-white perspective and philosophy, because that gives you the best results by this specific metric.

What about a weapon with a sliding scale of additional "damage" with large gradients? Corruption 1-50 gives +1 damage to X stat in increments of 10 (so 12 Corruption would give +2 dam), while Corruption 51-100 resets bonuses back to +1 vs a different stat?

Did that make any sense at all? o_O

EDIT: Actually, it'd make more sense to go from +5 down to +1 for 0-50 Corruption, then +1 to +5 for 51-100. Or, even better, for every 20 pts of corruption the "dam vs" changes/flip flops. 0-20 gives +5 vs X and +1 vs Y, all the way to 81-100 gives +1 vs X and +5 to Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: QualityCuntrol

Shura

Apr 15, 2018
Admittedly, while I loved the beautiful sword, the corruption gate drove me nuts. If not for the fact the Warhammer is a way better weapon to me because of the stun despite slightly lower stats, I would have been salty.

But yeah, Sanctified Gladius is the closest you'll get to it in this game. I personally love the more grey take on corruption in this game so I'd prefer no major stat advantage to corruption levels either way.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
It makes sense that its grey now, because the infestation from Mareth has only just begun. Wait a few years and corruption could become far more pronounced.

Eastin

Aug 3, 2016
It makes sense that its grey now, because the infestation from Mareth has only just begun. Wait a few years and corruption could become far more pronounced.
Which is kinda sad. Black and white stories have a lot less branching potential