Incredible indie games that don’t get enough attention as they should

A Random Guy

Sep 13, 2015
I’ve been wanting to make a thread like this for a while now but never really found anything worth sharing that was rather unheard of until a couple weeks ago while browsing around Steam I came across a game called Return of the Obra Dinn. I nearly scrolled right on past until I noticed it was developed by Lucas Pope, the same developer of Papers, Please, one of my favorite PC games in recent memory. And this is without a doubt the best puzzle game I’ve ever played.

The game is styled around old Macintosh computer games and somehow still looks incredible. The story takes place in the 1800s and is about a ship called the Obra Dinn that has been found in British waters after five years of being missing. You play as an insurance adjuster who is tasked to find out what happened to the crew and passengers that were aboard the ship. The way you do this is with the help of a stopwatch called Memento Mortem which lets you hear the last moments of a person’s death like a radio drama and allows you to explore the frozen moment of someone’s death to figure out who died, how they died, who was there, and where it happened.

Before you consider buying this game, I feel like I need to tell you several things first. Firstly, this whole game is really just one big logic puzzle and relies a shit ton on deductive reasoning so if that doesn’t sound appealing do not buy this game. Another thing you need to know is that sometimes you’re just gonna have to take a guess as to who someone is. For example, on the ship there are four Asian crew members that look exactly alike and I could not for the life of me differentiate the four, after checking around online Lucas Pope said there was a way to find out who was who but it was the hardest puzzle in the game, and believe me it’s much easier to throw names around and see what will stick. The last thing I want to say to anyone interested, and this is the most important, is to take your time and savor it. After beating it, it has almost no replay value so take your sweet time with it and don’t feel you need to rush it.

(tl;dr: Return of the Obra Dinn is phenomenal, 10/10)

Sorry for the rant but that’s what this thread is all about I guess. What are some indie games you love that most people probably haven’t heard of?

Last edited:

Grizzabella

Aug 8, 2019
Is the gameplay similar to games like Shadowgate,Dejavu and The Uninvited?

Cause I love those games and want to play more like them.

A Random Guy

Sep 13, 2015
Is the gameplay similar to games like Shadowgate,Dejavu and The Uninvited?

Cause I love those games and want to play more like them.
Return of the Obra Dinn isn’t a point and click game, it’s played in first person. However, it does use the same monochromatic dithering style like those games. Here’s a demo for it, try it out and see if it piques your interest
https://dukope.com/

Zavos

May 7, 2016
Project:Gorgon

The lead devs are a husband wife team, one a Ashoron’s Call dev, the other a Everquest dev. It’s very much a callback to the bygone golden age of MMOs.

There’s a demo on Steam.

B.M. Kaijusaur

Jul 29, 2019
I've got one for you: Primordia. If you like post apocalyptic point'n'clicks all about Robots trying to survive the wastes then you cant go wrong. The games phenomenal in my opinion, I even bought the game twice.

Reactions: Reptillicus

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
CrossCode is a single player rpg styled after an mmo and currently one of my faves. The demo is a bit short (it used to be longer) but still worth checking out.

HeroicSpirit

Aug 22, 2019
header.jpg

I found a new indie game on steam called Later Alligator. It’s pretty adorable, although it’s point and click and there doesn’t seem to be a way to save progress, as far as I can tell. However, the animation style is fluid and it varies things up with mini-games.

3u050uu0xtn31.png

It has this character who’s Alligator Majima.