With Flash going away in 2020 what will happen with TiTS and CoC?

Flourish

Jun 18, 2017
So I'm a huge fan of both Trials in Tainted Space and Corruption of Champions, so I'm curious what will happen once 2020 comes and we lose flash? Will the standalone player still work or no, also what will be used to play the games?

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
Most browsers have already phased out flash (a year or 2 ago I think), and Fenoxo has already addressed this. TiTs has another play method already available. CoC2 isn't flash so isn't affected. CoC will require you play it though an external player, or an unupdated browser.

Reactions: Kaida

Flourish

Jun 18, 2017
Most browsers have already phased out flash (a year or 2 ago I think), and Fenoxo has already addressed this. TiTs has another play method already available. CoC2 isn't flash so isn't affected. CoC will require you play it though an external player, or an unupdated browser.
Okay then, will Stand Alone Flash Player still be usable then for it or will that not be able to work as well?

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
The stand alone flash player is what I was referring to when I mentioned an external player, so yes, it'll work for CoC1 and TiTS. (unless microsoft does something silly like rendering flash completely unusable on windows 10--but hey, what are the chances of that)

I'll mention that save locations will be different though, so use SAVE AS/LOAD AS to get your saves over. Pretty sure normal saves go to a temporary folder anyway, so shouldn't be exclusively relied on. I lost a month of TiTS play when my browser emptied the folder, for example.

Flourish

Jun 18, 2017
The stand alone flash player is what I was referring to when I mentioned an external player, so yes, it'll work for CoC1 and TiTS. (unless microsoft does something silly like rendering flash completely unusable on windows 10--but hey, what are the chances of that)

I'll mention that save locations will be different though, so use SAVE AS/LOAD AS to get your saves over. Pretty sure normal saves go to a temporary folder anyway, so shouldn't be exclusively relied on. I lost a month of TiTS play when my browser emptied the folder, for example.
That's good to know that it'll still work. I was using a stand alone flash player for TiTS and CoC anyway, since Save as/Load as don't work with CoC for some reason with me, so I needed to make use of it instead. Although will my saves still work on my stand alone flash player or will I need to still use that?

MESeele

Aug 26, 2015
I just looked up what is supposed to be happening in 2020. That Flash is being killed or dying now are just buzz words. Adobe is just gonna stop updating and pushing Flash out. That means no increased functionality (which hasn't really changed in half a decade), and no more security updates (which doesn't matter to you who is using an offline standalone player). That does mean it will fade away as people stop using it. But it's not like they're rendering the files or program unusable. All in all, not a big deal. It won't affect people who want to continue playing flash games, and it shouldn't affect continued work on those flash games (as far as I know).

Truth is, Flash has been outdated for years now. The sites reporting on Adobe hammering the final nail in like it matters just comes off as a slow news day.

TLDR ver: You said you're already using the standalone player. In 2020 you won't be able to update the player, but that doesn't matter. The save locations for basic SAVE/LOAD won't change either.

I would suggest backing up your saves though. Not because of this, it's just a good habit to get into. Save Locations

Kaida

Nov 1, 2018
Yeah Newgrounds ran into similar problems due to flash dying out. It's a pretty easy fix, luckily enough for us.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
It's not a pity.
It's not even something to be sad about.
It's a program that has become obsolete and has been replaced/phased out on browsers the last couple of years anyway.
Adobe know this and there isn't really much point in supporting it anymore, especially considering that it's ending use next year, which gives developers and users more than enough time to find a replacement.
Its not the end of the world, just the beginning of something else.