Generic Ship Enemies and Player Fleets (Abandoned)

Calico Cat

Apr 28, 2017
This Idea has been abandoned and will no longer be modified. I understand why it shouldn't be added to the game for balance reasons and will no longer input new components or modifications
I apologize for ultimately wasting people's time with this.

For my first Idea,
why not have the enemy ships the players encounters be partly populated by generic ships that have slightly randomized loadouts, such as different weapons that fill the same role on the ship. Also the player can encounter multiple hostile ships and would have to choose a target when attacking in the ship. They could show up more often if the player has a larger fleet, so the player isn't going to steamroll the single enemies they find with four ships (Mentioned later)

Onto the second Idea, Why not have it possible to command a fleet of ships, instead of only one. This will provide some motivation to purchase multiple ships, other then just one ship to go with until you find an upgrade, and allow players to deal with the aforementioned hostile fleets more easily. Also, it could allow you to manage who is on which ship, and see who can do what on the ship, such as piloting (allowing the ship to be a part of a fleet), turret gunning (operating turrets), repairs (restoring ship's armor in combat), or tech (utilizing active ship modules). You'll only be allowed to have four ships (Including your own) active in a fleet. Also the ship you're on has full capabilities minus turrets. Also certain Crew members can offer extra bonuses such as negotiation with certain factions, Adding new options in space events, or even affecting the entire fleet's travel time.

As for who can do what I'm going to make a list now:
  • Example : Normal Abilities (Bonus Effects + Qualifiers)
  • Amber: None
  • Anno: Turrets, Tech (Allows you to trade in certain Space Events/ Gives you a better deal)
  • Bess/Ben: Tech (If part of crew) (Extra effect depends on Crew role taken, Such as 10% less crew/ship costs if accountant)
  • Celise: None
  • Kase: Tech
  • Mitzi: None
  • Nova: None
  • Olympia: Piloting, Turrets, Repairs, and Tech (Can't be removed from the sidewinder)
  • Paige: Piloting, Turrets, Tech (None if eyesight is not restored) (Speeds up fleet travel time by 25% + Pirate negotiation)
  • Pippa: None
  • Pexiga: None
  • Penny: Turrets, Tech (Negotiation with U.G.C Ships, allowing new options when encountering them)
  • Ramis: Turrets
  • Reaha: Turrets
  • Sera: Turrets (Same effect as Anno)
  • Sheeka: Turrets, Tech, Repairs (Allows you to fix up things encountered in space)
  • Seigewulfe: Turrets, Tech
  • Varmint: None
  • Yammi: None (Increases crew's Preformance in all tasks by 15%)

If I got any of the crew members capabilities wrong, or new crew members are added, Please tell me so I can fix the issue

Third Idea: Added after-words upon the realization that some recruit-able characters might not be desired by everyone, How about Randomly generated Crew members that can be hired for a fee. How you go about obtaining these characters is quite simple, on Tavros station there will be a a board showcasing people looking for work, as well as displaying their proficencies. Similar to Unique crew members, they also have roles they can fill on the ship, however which roles they can fill will be dependent on what the character generated with, and these skills add to their cost for hiring, price additions are as follows:

Piloting - 10,000 Credits
Turrets - 1,000 Credits
Tech - 1,000 Credits
Repairs - 3,000 Credits

The actually generation would be their race, gender, name, skills, and variations of physical components, such as eye color, hair , fur/skin color, height, etc. They don't really need to be extremely genetically modified, to save the headaches that might cause.

Last edited:

runingman69

Nov 24, 2018
canuck land.
Onto the second Idea, Why not have it possible to command a fleet of ships, instead of only one. This will provide some motivation to purchase multiple ships, other then just one ship to go with until you find an upgrade, and allow players to deal with the aforementioned hostile fleets more easily. Also, it could allow you to manage who is on which ship, and see who can do what on the ship, such as piloting (allowing the ship to be a part of a fleet), turret gunning (operating turrets), repairs (restoring ship's armor in combat), or tech (utilizing active ship modules). You'll only be allowed to have four ships (Including your own) active in a fleet. Also the ship you're on has full capabilities minus turrets.
I'm sorry to say, the fleet idea will not really work. There are rare moments that several hostiles will appear mainly in quests. (Rat raiders are a very rare exception.) Or a follower will help you with a fight in base combat. Ship combat already adds a good chunk of extra variables. Also Steele really doesn't need a fleet. Sure it could be helpful, but the ships you can get around level 8 can mop the floor with most single pirates. I would also like to add we are getting heavier ships like cruisers.

As for who can do what I'm going to make a list now
Fen and crew already have a list of things your current crew can do. Also when did Sera get so savey with turrets and tech? She was a in retail, sue she could give a piloting boost but there have been no indications that she's a good pilot. (The one scene where she steals the ship for a joy ride, is the only real example.) Overall, I feel like a fleet is unnecessary.

Calico Cat

Apr 28, 2017
The enemy fleet Idea was made to counter your first point, Essentially I intended the player to want to get a fleet in order to deal with groups of enemy ships that can show up, many of which would be on par with your own ship based off of where you are going and can access. Such as players who can access uveto may be running into Aegis tier ships with loadouts designed to deal with your ship in a number of ways, such as shield breaker ships with multiple emp weapons but no kenetic weapons, or ships designed to tear your armor to shreds with out shields but struggle to actually break shields, or even ships designed to disrupt your ships systems, making it harder to fight off other enemies. Having a fleet will allow the player to coordinate and counter the enemy's strategies. I understand though that it is a demanding idea that likely won't get added due to the work load Fen and his crew already have, but I wanted to flesh out the Idea anyway.
Also when I made a list of what crew could do, I did so to showcase what they could do on your other ships, since you aren't on board to direct the crew on what to do, someone who is capable of utilizing ship tech would likely be required for the ship to be able to make use of such technology.
On the point about sera, I understand your point and will fix it. I will also add a new thing to the idea so players can get the crew capabilities they want without having to recruit characters they don't want.

Evil

Jul 18, 2017
The thing is, not every member of your crew is that useful in combat. While it makes sense for the likes of Reaha or Ramis to operate the batteries, that's strictly due to their backgrounds in the military. How can you justify someone like Mitzi trying to operate a turret when she can barely think without a dick in her - all she cares about is getting fucked. Kase is another case of someone who isn't fit for combat - of course he isn't, his job is logistics.

Your crew have their own uses on the ship, they don't need to be shoehorned into a combat role to give you more bonuses.

Calico Cat

Apr 28, 2017
According to the wiki, Mitzi and Kase can actually operate a turret in ship combat. However I see your point And will fix it, Mitzi Won't be able to operate anything and Kase will be Tech only, since it can apply to non aggressive actions as well. Not only that, I might add Special actions only possible if certain unique crew members are apart of your crew, which can influence combat and ship events, to better reflect Crew members aiding you on your travels.

Koshka

Oct 2, 2015
Before making any grandiose plans about that "fleets and mass space combat" you really should discuss your idea with Fenoxo first. Especially since, as I understand, you have no intention of doing the coding of all those changes to the existing system.
And if honestly, personally I don't like the idea of turning the existing "space jockey adventure" into some sort of "galaxy conquest" with mass space battles. It would only make gameplay unnecessarily overcomplicated and would definitely f*ck up the balance.

Calico Cat

Apr 28, 2017
I guess your right, I'm just going to drop the Ideas since it might just put more work on Fenoxo, with little pay off, as well as to the dissatisfaction to many other players. I can see how it might over complicate space combat for many people and turn it into a slog for them. I also can see how such an Idea can screw balance over fairly easily, so that is another detractor to the Ideas. I'm sorry for wasting the time of those who needed to tell me how these ideas were bad in the first place.