Should Companions Fight On?

Dolarnor

Jul 1, 2016
Sorry if I missed a thread on this, but didn't see one with a keyword search on "companion".

I had a couple of fights where the opponents had only one left standing and he/she was almost dead (3-6 health) while my companions were in perfect health and strong willpower...but because the opponents had focus fired the PC the battle was lost.

Somehow after seeing Cait in the opening sequence or Bint vs the wolves I don't see either of them just surrendering when the PC gets taken out of the combat.

Maybe when the PC is down they should fight on to the end of the battle one way or another?

This would overall make the game significantly easier but that could be adjusted for with stronger opponents. It might also open up the possibility for a number of other scenes where Bint or Cait has the lead on what to do with the opponents, etc.

Thoughts?

Violent_Peace

Sep 16, 2015
Tbh it sounds like a good idea to have companions who are still standing to keep fighting till they get their ass kicked, abandon you and run away, or finish the fight and win.

Doesn't really make any sense that you'd lose the entire fight because the enemy focused on you.

If the same can be done where you take down the boss of the group and they all just drop around him after seeing him fall then it would be kinda fair, but I don't think that's gonna happen unless it's like a big boss.

Violent_Peace

Sep 16, 2015
Sounds like you guys don't want to give an easy win or a last chance win to people.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
Not being able to control companion actions -and- losing if the main character goes down is always a frustrating combination.

That could definitely be improved upon. A companion taking a fatal blow for you once, for instance. In general the battle system feels too chaotic right now; so many things happen in one turn AND it's a mad damage race and you have only the slightest control over the whole cascade.

Dolarnor

Jul 1, 2016
That's the player's own fault for not having good threat management. Who enemies choose to attack isn't random.

I'll have to play with it more. I've played through most of the currently available content though and didn't really notice. I have also done the same battle multiple times without even considering agro being anything other than random and had radically different actions from the same opponents including the possibility of either the player or Cait being focused for lust attacks and they're not even the same gender.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I have also done the same battle multiple times without even considering agro being anything other than random and had radically different actions from the same opponents including the possibility of either the player or Cait being focused for lust attacks and they're not even the same gender.

That's Threat working. Threat buildup is based on your damage/healing output; the more you output, the more heavily enemies focus on you. Enemies don't care about your sex for lust attacks, they care about your Threat.

Reactions: Balaknightfang

Shadairith

Nov 18, 2018
That's Threat working. Threat buildup is based on your damage/healing output; the more you output, the more heavily enemies focus on you. Enemies don't care about your sex for lust attacks, they care about your Threat.

I know that the game is in development, and it is going along amazingly!! (Joined the actual forums a few months ago and have been enjoying seeing the progression of the game(s)) I didn't know about this until I read this post and was wondering why there were times why Brint would take the damage or I would take the damage, so if you guys could implement some kinda explanation early on - unless you already have, I have skipped the tutorial for a bit now because I already played it 4-5 times now - it could help out quite a bit.

Stemwinder

Jun 15, 2018
That's for sure. I'd assumed the targeting was mostly RNG, too.

Throwing a few tutorial explanations on things like that into the first couple of battles would be a good idea.

Reactions: ShySquare

Dolarnor

Jul 1, 2016
Threat aside though, it just really doesn't feel right to have Bint and Cait give up just because the player is out of the battle.

kinkshamer

Feb 8, 2016
The only way this would be reasonable is to make the mechanics more akin to earlier Final Fantasy games, where your companions stay out of commission until you resurrect/heal them whenever they hit 0 health.

Big Papa Coyote

Nov 7, 2015
I think understanding the whole threat thing would help. I get the red dot means I'm about to be attacked, but I don't know which enemy is about to attack me, or how many, and there's not a lot of health items if any in the game yet, and if Cait ain't healing you that turn hoo boy. Basically it feels like useless information right now - yeah my character is about to get attacked, what am I supposed to do about it? At least that's been my take away, can't really figure out how to strategize it so it helps.