Astronaut from the Past. Good/Plausible Idea?

Nov 17, 2018
So I've been an avid spectator of this site quite a bit (you did this Fen) and I recently decided to write something up for the game. I'm about halfway through writing it and don't want to continue if this will go nowhere.

To preface this I'll say that, no, this is not the first time I've written things such as this. I just haven't actually written with the [pc.bodypart] system and all that jazz. What I'm currently writing is a NPC whom is an astronaut from ancient Terra sent to Pluto in a cryopod that went off course. The cryopod and that stuff is scientifically accurate so that's out of the way, but what I'm asking is if anyone would actually be interested in seeing this come to fruition.

The character's name is Elizabeth Drukar and because of the cryogenics thing, her legs have muscular atrophied to the point where she's unable to walk. On Terra she was a hardworking woman whom wanted to be an astronaut her whole life. In this future, she's now understandably somewhat scared of her surroundings (GIANT SEX CRAZED BEES) so you have to help her figure this shit out.

So, yeah. Is it possible/plausible and would anyone be interested in this?

Last edited:

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
I like the character concept. But what is Steele going to do for said person?

...I mean besides howling alongside her at an uncaring universe with impotent rage?

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
Why would the legs be atrophied if she was on the cryopod? If the cryopod is supposed to work like the usual (variant a: Basically stops all body and cellular processes. i.e: Futurama cryopods. Variant b: slows down everything by a lot but time still passes. i.e: Stargate crypods) either none of her muscle would be atrophied or all would be atrophied.

Reactions: Jongeedubs
Nov 17, 2018
Why would the legs be atrophied if she was on the cryopod? If the cryopod is supposed to work like the usual (variant a: Basically stops all body and cellular processes. i.e: Futurama cryopods. Variant b: slows down everything by a lot but time still passes. i.e: Stargate crypods) either none of her muscle would be atrophied or all would be atrophied.
So with cryogenics, your body ceases nearly all function within itself. Muscles therefore would not, you know, do anything so naturally they would break down. A theory has been proposed to use small electrical shocks within the pod so that your muscles regularly have to do something. I've incorporated that, but within the amount of time that it would have been from going offcourse from Pluto to moving a stargate away to Myrellion, the system would go in to emergency setting leaving only the bare essentials. P.S. Is nuclear fission in T.I.T.S.?

Nov 17, 2018
Side Note: Reasoning for legs only is that legs are the most used muscle so naturally they are the strongest. Being the strongest would cause the body, in this circumstance, to have those break down first so as to save energy.

Reactions: ChromaTaphore
Nov 17, 2018
I like the character concept. But what is Steele going to do for said person?

...I mean besides howling alongside her at an uncaring universe with impotent rage?
Sorry for late reply! The PC will help her adjust to this new world, because when you wake up on a world filled with people sized ants, you're naturally going to be freaked the hell out even if you were looking for intelligent life.

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
So with cryogenics, your body ceases nearly all function within itself. Muscles therefore would not, you know, do anything so naturally they would break down. A theory has been proposed to use small electrical shocks within the pod so that your muscles regularly have to do something. I've incorporated that, but within the amount of time that it would have been from going offcourse from Pluto to moving a stargate away to Myrellion, the system would go in to emergency setting leaving only the bare essentials. P.S. Is nuclear fission in T.I.T.S.?

That's not how the body works. If you're immobilized, there is an unbalance between protein degradation and protein synthesis (with a lot of cellular processes happening, including cellular aging, division, etc), so, as a natural function of the muscles, they gradually decrease in mass, as the body notices they are no longer needed and resources are allocated elsewhere (basically the cells notice there is no longer a demand for proteins as the muscles are not active and shut down the protein synthesis but not the protein degradation process). The whole process of atrophy requires the body to work properly and it takes a long, long time. If cryonics ceases all functions, then it also ceases to break down the muscle. If not, then she also ages, so she would be really really old.

Nov 17, 2018
That's not how the body works. If you're immobilized, there is an unbalance between protein degradation and protein synthesis (with a lot of cellular processes happening, including cellular aging, division, etc), so, as a natural function of the muscles, they gradually decrease in mass, as the body notices they are no longer needed and resources are allocated elsewhere (basically the cells notice there is no longer a demand for proteins as the muscles are not active and shut down the protein synthesis but not the protein degradation process). The whole process of atrophy requires the body to work properly and it takes a long, long time. If cryonics ceases all functions, then it also ceases to break down the muscle. If not, then she also ages, so she would be really really old.
You know what. I'm just gonna take my hat and go. You've clearly beat me in my scientific knowledge. I should've expected that from someone literally named "Thebiologist". If you can give me any tips as to how I can make this still work, as it's an integral part of her character, it would be very much so appreciated.

Nov 17, 2018
I imagine that I could have it work with something like Osteomalacia then, which is a disease caused by a deficiency of vitamin D in the body.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Sorry for late reply! The PC will help her adjust to this new world, because when you wake up on a world filled with people sized ants, you're naturally going to be freaked the hell out even if you were looking for intelligent life.
You keep mentioning ants and bees. Where does she land? Where do they find her? Mhenga? Myrellion? Why is Steele helping an ancient astronaut-cum-paraplegic?

Edit: Also how far from the past is this lady from?

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018
You keep mentioning ants and bees. Where does she land? Where do they find her? Mhenga? Myrellion? Why is Steele helping an ancient astronaut-cum-paraplegic?
I'm mentioning that as I intend for the PC to explain their travels including the encountering Zil from Mhen'ga. She will land in Myrellion which . I never posted that so sorry for the confusion.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
Okay but how long has this person been in coldsleep? Because if it's for hundreds of years Victor Steele might want to start haunting his doctor for missing that trick.

Crablord

Jan 18, 2016
im assuming it will go like this
>find alien creature (*raditz*) guarding pod
>beat raditz
>oh wow! its a woman!
>:O her legs do not work
>pay money to fix legs
>show the world on magic carpet
>she joins crew
>become best friends and or sex buddies

am i close? if i'm close i'd love to see it.

Aimless Rogue

Nov 11, 2016
somewhere around here
I like this, it's pretty interesting.

Nov 17, 2018
>beat raditz
>oh wow! its a woman!
>pay money to fix legs
>she joins crew

am i close? if i'm close i'd love to see it.
Almost. I have it that you find a crashed pod on Myrellion and you have to fight like some robots or something to get to her. Than you have to drag her (she's comatose in there) around like the junk on Tarkus until you get to the army doctor in the red city. Something happens to wake her up, go greet her, be buds and whatever, eventually help her either join your crew or move to Tavros (I haven't decided yet), and then you can fix her legs if you want. You were very close.

Reptillicus

Jun 30, 2016
Cool idea! I quite like it. I'll have to see her personality though to figure out if i like her as a person.

null_blank

Oct 29, 2015
>beat raditz
>oh wow! its a woman!
>pay money to fix legs
>she joins crew
check if she isn't a distant relative from the past as to not anger spacetreon

You forgot something

Thebiologist

Jun 24, 2017
You know what. I'm just gonna take my hat and go. You've clearly beat me in my scientific knowledge. I should've expected that from someone literally named "Thebiologist". If you can give me any tips as to how I can make this still work, as it's an integral part of her character, it would be very much so appreciated.

It wouldn't make much sense as a process happening during cryogenization, but if it were to happen before or after, some malfunction. It doesn't have to be something specific. She's an astronaut, not a medical doctor. You can write it of as "I can't walk, don't know why, pod malfunction maybe." more elaborate of course. She could also be the daughter of some rich dude and have a pre-existing condition so she got cryogenized (doesn't even have to lose the astronaut career so long as they find the condition way after she becomes an astronaut) and launched into space, to be preserved there, until they could find the cure (reminds me to an Star Trek:TNG episode), but her pod drifted and ended up on whatever planet. You could just have her pod crashlanding and crushing her spine, so legs won't work, but they are not atrophied.

If leg atrophy is mandatory (for whatever reason) just say she crashlanded several months ago, the cryonics failed, but not the life support, so she was kept alive by the system on an artificial coma (so she began aging at the point, her body working normally). At some point the muscle stimulation system on her legs stopped working, due to malfunction, damage or the batteries running out and the A.I. deciding to gradually shut down non-essential mechanisms to preserve the energy for life support. When you find her, several systems are offline, including the one that kept her leg muscles stimulated. The torso, being more important, was given priority by the muscle stimulation system.

I imagine that I could have it work with something like Osteomalacia then, which is a disease caused by a deficiency of vitamin D in the body.

Jesus Christ, no, that disease is creepy as hell, deformities, brittle bones, god, no. It also affects all muscle and bone tissue and takes even more time than atrophy.

Reactions: Jongeedubs