Newlife

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Oh, I see now. I was expecting the first two scenes to repeat (didn't qualify for the third) when it said he'd come back and I guess the repair scene just didn't come up.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
The 'describe people' button doesn't work when you choose the 'get married' activity and it brings up the 'choose bridesmaids' screen. Probably the only one there anyway but also possibly a bug.

"Despite her praise, such a big occasion is at least a bit terrifying.Butterflies in your stomach, you prepare to be married."
No space between the period after terrifying and Butterflies. (Edit: I've tried to see if there were other variations of the wedding scene and there is a space between it other times so it may have somehow been trait/friend specific?)

And in the 'doesn't make sense: catagorey...when choosing the flee the alter, though it ends the relationship, the same guy instantly asked for a date that week. :p You should probably have him fly off to Bangladesh or something like the treasure hunter girl does.

When you're suggesting a new job for your co-worker and hovering over 'A library' in the description:
"the local library, a perfect place for a quiet girl like her."
"the" isn't capitalized.

Last edited:

splendidostrich

Aug 28, 2015
Thanks! I've got most of those fixed. The bridesmaids not appearing in "describe people" is necessary: the scene doesn't sort out their clothing etc until the player chooses one. This leaves open the possibility of having separate outfits for bridesmaids and normal guests - guests will be added to the wedding scene in later version.

splendidostrich

Aug 28, 2015
Hi all, 0.4.16 has been released and you can now get married in Newlife! The changelog is at https://splendidostrich.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/newlife-0416-do-you-hear-wedding-bells.html

The public version's up to 0.4.15 now which includes a scene where you take revenge on your bf's jerk friend - that's another one I'm keen to hear people's thoughts on. If it proves popular then I think it'd be interesting to expand it a bit, especially when NPC pregnancy gets added.

Let me know if you find any bugs, and enjoy your wedding day!

Reactions: Sapphire

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Not a bug, just non-sensical. In the new jerk friend scene for the sultry virgin type...

Nick asks you which cock was the biggest, out of all the dicks that have filled your pussy.

You reply that you're a virgin, so you haven't received any cock at all of any size. Nick seems surprised, no doubt due to your sensual way of acting. He tells Flardryn that he should hurry up and get balls deep in you before another man plucks your cherry.

Nick asks how many sexual partners you've had besides Flardryn.

...he asked that after the reply of being a virgin already.

For an actual bug, what I assume is the new husband scene came up but didn't do anything.

Leaving him still frustrated, you extricate yourself from your husband's embrace.
You head out to work. You didn't waste too much time in marital bliss, but you've still missed one bus and end up a little late for work.

It started and ended there with the only option being to end scene. There wasn't anything going out/staying in before it though it's certainly morning because they're both in their PJs.
I thought maybe because PC was still a virgin but the same thing happened after having sex.
Tried with a new character and the same thing happened.

splendidostrich

Aug 28, 2015
Thanks! I'll be putting out a patch release soon with that bug fixed. Not sure how it ended up in there: I'm sure I had successful test runs through that scene at some point, so I must have introduced it while making changes and forgotten to re-test.

I've made some improvements to the jerk friend scene too, but there are still a few potential issues with virginity there.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
In the throw your friend under the bus with the lowlives scene after choosing 'watch them'...

Muffling a sob, she turns and runs away, horrified and ashamed. The men laugh and give each other high-fives. You're included in their celebrations. After all, without your help the poor girl would have never consented to something like this.

You don't stick around too long though. Best not, or you might end up washing stuff out of your hair too. You go home, without a new friend, but with an amusing story to tell.

There's an extra space after the comma in the last line.

Unrelated...is there no scene where you can cheat with a partner in the dance contest? I thought there was one added a while ago and realized I've not seen it but it says:
"You also consider trying to cheat, but conclude that it would be too risky a subject to bring up with him and that unfair shenanigans are more suited to the solo tournament."
...even with the biggest jerk/misthanthrope etc. you can make while using the psychic cheat. Is that something that isn't there or something that has extra conditions?

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
New have sex during the wedding scene...

A gentle tug on your shoulders gets you to lift your upper body from the altar. Alfie slips his powerful hands beneath to cup your breasts. He caresses them through your wedding dress, enjoying the feel of your perky tits against his palmsYour nipples strain at the thin fabric, stiff against his groping fingers.

No space or punctuation between palms and Your.

Alfie steps away from you, letting your wedding dress fall back down
The officiant beams approvingly and loudly announces that Alfie has successfully deflowered his virgin bride.

No period after down in the first line.

And in a second version of that with a naked wedding and no condom...

Alfie steps away from you, a trickle of his seed making its way down one of your pale thighs.
The officiant beams approvingly and loudly announces that Alfie has successfully deflowered his fertile virgin bride. has successfully deflowered his virgin bride.

The last line repeats with no name.

And in the 'not sure if it should be a thing or not but probably worth mentioning just in case' category, if you agree to marry a guy while a virgin and lose it to not him before the wedding, he didn't notice or say anything while consumating at the wedding.

To expand on that with something that defintely should be a thing, if you cheat and get pregnant in that same time there's nothing for that either. Though the sex scene would be different when pregnant too? Leaning over the alter at max pregnant level doesn't seem like it should be a thing?

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
In the new sister in law scene:

"She should hook up with your groom's best friend, Patrick. Sure he's a bit of a creep, but he's also. Um. A douche."

Shouldn't be a period after also and um? Not sure if it should be a commas or ellipsis or even if it's technically wrong to begin with but either way that one seems odd.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Oh and the new shops, are there items that aren't possible to get in certain colors anymore? Most of the stuff in Lustrous comes in red and the Angel stuff comes in pink but if I want a Lustrous item in pink? Randomly available in High Street Shops?

Also something horrible has happened to my money. I started out using rich, millionaire and only bought 2-4 outfits and the apartment stuff and still had 20k or 200k whatever it was. Now in week 63 I only have $222 for some reason. My only possible guess is it's related to the fiancé buying the wedding dress for you.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
I did another run through with a different character and had the fiance (same one) buy the dress but the money was fine. So if that was the case it was tied to specific player trait or dress combination.

There was also no folder created for user custom scenes, even after checking the box. The option comes up in game though.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
When spying on the sister in law at the wedding...

"Lucyis getting louder now, moans and the occasional cry."

no space between their name and is.

This may be an overly complicated and specific thing to work with so you might just leave it but figured I'd mention it anyway.
Telling your fiancé you're waiting for marriage to lose your virginity but then getting pregnant from someone else before that then getting married, lying that you're still a virgin and doing it on your wedding night, if you choose "ask him to cum inside" with baby crazy trait it gives a line about putting his hand on your stomach to remind him you can't get more pregnant...which would obviously mean you cheated (in most cases anyway, that pregnant virgin thing is pretty rare) but there's nothing for that which results in getting caught.

Noir

Apr 22, 2016
Don't expect too many major updates on this game for awhile. SplendidOstrich shared on his blog and Patreon that he was suffering from a back/shoulder injury that had impeded his ability to work on Newlife (he also stated that he actually had to take several breaks while typing these posts, just to give an extra indication of how severe it was), and temporarily placed the game on hiatus and paused his Patreon as a result while he recovered.

It seems that SplendedOstrich has restarted the Patreon since the initial announcement, and is recovering, but still can't work on Newlife at the same rate as he was before. SplendidOstrich has stated on the latest Patreon post that he is considering using the Patreon donations to commission a writer to help with the workload so that he can potentially still release something without further irritating the injury.

Even though there likely won't be any major updates for awhile, I really appreciate how SplendedOstrich took the effort to work through his pain to give us an update on things as opposed to just stopping and leaving us to worry about things like so many other devs usually do.

Hopefully, SplendidOstrich be back to 100% sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sapphire

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Potential bug, maybe intended...is there a block on having a baby crazy trait and befriending an impregnator?
I was curious how the friend scene where a pregnant girl confronts them would go with that trait but it appears to be impossible to befriend them, they never show up at house parties either.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Not sure if intended or bug but the "new" scene will only trigger once no matter what happens.

Also, mall stripping scene...

"You first strip off your shirt, handing it over to Allison to hold onto, as you don't want it to get dirty. Your skirt follows thereafter, and Allison holds onto that as well. Next, you remove your bra, leaving your small but perky tits exposed to the open air. Last, you remove your g-stringand even your socks. Allison collects your underwear with the rest of your clothing. That leaves you completely naked in the photobooth."

No space between g-string and and.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Something went horribly wrong with the shyness cure scene...

Allison arranges to meet you at a quiet local coffee shop. When you get there she's already waiting for you at a booth. She waves you over, and you chat. She tells you several fascinating stories about her recent exploits, and the parties she's gone to. Apparently they've been off the hook. Somehow, she's managed to forget her wallet, forcing you to pay for the coffee.

Eventually she gets to the point. She thinks she has a way to break you out of your shell, if you're willing to put your trust in her. Looking intently into your eyes, she asks if you have faith in her.

ERROR in scene B.b when using action "Yes".
Please report this to the developer as a bug including the text of the message below. The scene will now finish.
Exception was: org.apache.velocity.exception.MethodInvocationException: Invocation of method 'addRelationshipFlag' in class uk.co.blogspot.splendidostrich.newlifegame.scene.custom.contextobject.ContextFemaleNpc threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException: Name is null at trustHer[line 1, column 4]
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.handleInvocationException(ASTMethod.java:243)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTMethod.execute(ASTMethod.java:187)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.execute(ASTReference.java:280)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.ASTReference.render(ASTReference.java:369)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.parser.node.SimpleNode.render(SimpleNode.java:342)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.render(RuntimeInstance.java:1378)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.evaluate(RuntimeInstance.java:1314)
org.apache.velocity.runtime.RuntimeInstance.evaluate(RuntimeInstance.java:1265)
org.apache.velocity.app.VelocityEngine.evaluate(VelocityEngine.java:199)
B.b.a(CustomScene.java:509)
B.b.a(CustomScene.java:473)
l.l.actionPerformed(ScenePanel.java:357)
javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

It also doesn't trigger the new scene/text when getting married due to the error so can't check that for any possible issues.

And a much smaller text issue when meeting the boyfriend's jerk friend...

Omar glances at your chest, his eyes drawn to the braless outline of your nipples beneath your top. Your skin prickles under his gaze, and you shiver with a sudden flush of warmth . You sense your teats stiffen and he smiles to see the effect he's having on you.

Extra space after warmth.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
I got the updated one and now the shyness cure scene won't trigger at all. 4 in game years and nothing, even tried switching friends.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
I used the psychic cheat to look at the new compatibility deal. This doesn't seem like it adds up?

Gabriel:
Max Pc love for Npc: -2 (NO). Random element: 3. Story modifiers: 0.
Max Npc love for Pc: 42 (SOME). Random element: 7. Story modifiers: 0.
He's a white man in his early twenties with rosy skin, sandy hair and dark brown eyes. He has an ugly face and a thickset body.
At heart, he's an asshole who gets a kick out of saying and doing things that are emotionally hurtful.
You think he's an okay person and don't mind spending time with him.

If max love is -2 and he's an asshole why would the "You think he's an okay person" thing be there? I didn't pick low standards.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
Error in the beast scene...

You gasp that it should eat you, and it obeys, its massive thick tongue slipping down to lap between your thighs, the heat building in you as you write helplessly beneath this terrible beast.

...should be writhe, not write.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
When choosing 'answer angrily' to the hotel prostitue proposal...

Your anger swells. Does this guy think you are a whore? You write him a caustic and definitely not polite message back before you block him on your
social media account.

There's a line break after "your" resulting in "social media account" being on the next line in the middle of the sentence.

And the watching them cheat scene...

You hear moist sounds from where your husband'scock is plunging into the girl under him, surely evidence of her growing arousal.

No space between "husband's" and "cock".

A general thing on that scene, it's kind of weird to burst in on them when your character is half naked and have no one say anything or call attention to it if you've chosen the pleasure yourself path.

In the new sad missing bf scene...

Why are you so sad? Is your life really that bad? Well, there are some things that aren't great, but there are good things too. Things like your friendships withAllison and Sam and of course your love for Brad.

No space between "with" and the first friend name.

Last edited:

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
You get a message from someone, sometimes more detailed than others (one came with a description of my character, others didn't), to go to a hotel and they'll pay you to have sex with them. You can ignore them or accept. If you accept you can still back out later once they tell you what they want. There's the option for the angry reply with a bitchy character and a "not for your first time?!" option for virgins, though that second seems to have no effect on anything or at least if it does, I haven't seen it. It seems like there's a space there for the guy to rescind his offer or maybe even offer more money or some sort of oral/anal only negoitation but it hasn't happened. Got the "it doesn't matter" reply every time, though they will possibly mention it if you go to the hotel when they're specifying the sex they want.

Oh, that reminds me of the other thing. I don't think there's a way to tell the guy he's the father if you get pregnant from the prostitution.

Reactions: Nephilim_Anunnaki

Nephilim_Anunnaki

Sep 7, 2015
You get a message from someone, sometimes more detailed than others (one came with a description of my character, others didn't), to go to a hotel and they'll pay you to have sex with them. You can ignore them or accept. If you accept you can still back out later once they tell you what they want. There's the option for the angry reply with a bitchy character and a "not for your first time?!" option for virgins, though that second seems to have no effect on anything or at least if it does, I haven't seen it. It seems like there's a space there for the guy to rescind his offer or maybe even offer more money or some sort of oral/anal only negoitation but it hasn't happened. Got the "it doesn't matter" reply every time, though they will possibly mention it if you go to the hotel when they're specifying the sex they want.

Oh, that reminds me of the other thing. I don't think there's a way to tell the guy he's the father if you get pregnant from the prostitution.

Thanks.

OrangeJuice

Aug 30, 2015
The new flirt with someone change in the club should be extended to now unbugged "take someone to bed" for the house party.
Also probably should've questioned this long ago but wouldn't your boss already have your contact information? There's an option to offer your number but he'd already have it, yeah? It'd be unethical to use it but he'd have it.
It's possible your boyfriend can turn up in the bar (the 'go to bar' action) and hit on your friend while you're distracting his friend. That seems...all sorts of not right.

Jash

Oct 8, 2015
<sigh> This is probably the premier example of a game I want to play "later". I tried playing it several times before, but with new versions constantly coming out (which weren't compatible with my existing save games) I was constantly forced to start over again and again. The fact that you keep release new Patreon-exclusive versions weeks ahead of the public version but also release the patch notes for it publicly so public version players can see what they're not getting yet makes it worse- I COULD try playing again now, but if I wait until the next version there will be all these new features... and by the time that comes out, I can see that the NEXT version will have all these OTHER new features and so on, so on ad infinitum.

I don't know whether you changed the game to make saves compatible across versions at some point in the past when I wasn't looking, but until you do I don't think this game is really playable for me until the absolute final version comes out. I don't mind playing a less-than-perfect version of a game as long as I can update an in-progress version as updates come out, but starting over and over again irritates.

Just thought I should mention it.