What type of hentai games are you tired of seeing?

Dragon

Mar 7, 2016
So simple question, what type of erotic/hentai/wtfe you want to call them are you just tired of seeing?

Personally, at the top of my list, there are two that I've seen so much that most of those games tend to blend together almost indistinguishable. Not to say this can't happy with other types, it just seems that these are the quick fad of the month to make a buck on patreon. I've seen these so much that even with the ones I do like release an update it takes a while for me to decide to play it.

The two types I'm talking about are "Life series" (as I heard someone call them before" and "incest" games.

To quote someone off the internet...

"You will play as _____(name), a ______(family member) who will try to do ________(action) to _______(situation)."

When I first started seeing "Adventures of x" or "X's Life" I was interested in them because for me, someone who 90% percent of erotic games that were played were always pushing a level of fantasy even when they were in the real world, they were a breath of fresh air. But, then they started to pop up like Pez from a Pez Dispenser... It didn't help that most had awful stories, unbelievably stupid main characters... and not even creative imagery.

When it came to incest games which again many aren't even far from separating itself from "life series" games. It just feels like whats been produced I've already seen over and over again, what else you got? For me to really like them now, there has to be a hook or a catch, something to eep me invested.

Reactions: Nephilim_Anunnaki

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I agree with you, what the hell is up with all the 3d, Ren'py incest games lately? The market is so damn saturated. The number 2 spot probably goes to Harem games in RPGMaker. I dislike both aspects of that, however, so I might just be biased.

Reactions: critlocked

TheAlexG

Jul 22, 2017
The unfortunate thing about Ren'py and RPG Maker, is they can make game developing, for lack of a better word, easy. This is both great, and unfortunate. On one side, it lets someone make the game of their dreams to share to the world. On the other, it lets anyone make games easily, and just ship them out without much thought or effort. It's sad to see the latter making games off these two engines (and yes, they are engines despite what others may say), for that, in part, is what gives both a relatively bad name, with the creation of games that everyone has seen, or jumping onto bandwagons that seem to be popular at the time.

I myself try to avoid making games similar to the norm, but being one that uses RPG Maker as his engine of choice, it's hard to avoid some biases when creating the game I do, and try hard to avoid such similarities. From a game developers perspective, the situation is both frustrating, and irritating, so believe me when I say that how most people feel, we feel much the same. That said, I'm quite tired of seeing these engines used to make games like you mentioned as well, that are quite obviously put together just to make a buck.

Dragon

Mar 7, 2016
I agree with you, what the hell is up with all the 3d, Ren'py incest games lately? The market is so damn saturated. The number 2 spot probably goes to Harem games in RPGMaker. I dislike both aspects of that, however, so I might just be biased.
This is honestly one of my biggest qualms about some western (not all, hell not even a lot) erotic games. A lot of them use the 3-D models, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Yes, I do have my bias for 2-D over 3-D so I won't go too much into that. But, a lot of these games models that are creatively no different from each other. Again not all, butI've run into enough bland "son being the mc" models where it started becoming harder to tell them apart. I can sympathize with the whole harem game, but one of my preferred fetishes just seem to be stepped in it so I had to just deal with it.

The unfortunate thing about Ren'py and RPG Maker, is they can make game developing, for lack of a better word, easy. This is both great, and unfortunate. On one side, it lets someone make the game of their dreams to share to the world. On the other, it lets anyone make games easily, and just ship them out without much thought or effort. It's sad to see the latter making games off these two engines (and yes, they are engines despite what others may say), for that, in part, is what gives both a relatively bad name, with the creation of games that everyone has seen, or jumping onto bandwagons that seem to be popular at the time.

I myself try to avoid making games similar to the norm, but being one that uses RPG Maker as his engine of choice, it's hard to avoid some biases when creating the game I do, and try hard to avoid such similarities. From a game developers perspective, the situation is both frustrating, and irritating, so believe me when I say that how most people feel, we feel much the same. That said, I'm quite tired of seeing these engines used to make games like you mentioned as well, that are quite obviously put together just to make a buck.
I've actually never heard anyone claim RPG maker or Ren'Py weren't game engines, hell I spent 3 years in game design and have used both unreal and unity and still wouldn't fathom calling RPG not a game engine. Especially when games like Rune's Pharmacy or Dragon and Prisoner show what these engines can do if really pushed! (part of the reason despite the fact I bought MV, I haven't made anything. I can't code. Especially when the game I want to make would require a hard recode changing the system into a tactical tbs similar to that of FFT) Also, I can't make pixel art for shit and my Main Characters would literally require custom pixels.

But, I feel the blame doesn't solely fall on the engines themselves, but the 3-D models as well. Now to be fair a some of these recent ones have had some smooth animation to them. But, the fact that unlike 2-D where you would have to recreate (or be lazy and just reuse already used illustrations) new scenes and poses. This forces the creator to take any things into account, the 3-D models actually don't. With respect to modelers and the time they put into make the models (again, game design, I learned fast that modeling was not for me) a lot of creators tend to just take base models and either slightly tweak them or just use them as is.

TheAlexG

Jul 22, 2017
I've actually never heard anyone claim RPG maker or Ren'Py weren't game engines, hell I spent 3 years in game design and have used both unreal and unity and still wouldn't fathom calling RPG not a game engine. Especially when games like Rune's Pharmacy or Dragon and Prisoner show what these engines can do if really pushed! (part of the reason despite the fact I bought MV, I haven't made anything. I can't code. Especially when the game I want to make would require a hard recode changing the system into a tactical tbs similar to that of FFT) Also, I can't make pixel art for shit and my Main Characters would literally require custom pixels.

But, I feel the blame doesn't solely fall on the engines themselves, but the 3-D models as well. Now to be fair a some of these recent ones have had some smooth animation to them. But, the fact that unlike 2-D where you would have to recreate (or be lazy and just reuse already used illustrations) new scenes and poses. This forces the creator to take any things into account, the 3-D models actually don't. With respect to modelers and the time they put into make the models (again, game design, I learned fast that modeling was not for me) a lot of creators tend to just take base models and either slightly tweak them or just use them as is.

Allow me to rephrase slightly; Many people I've seen and in some cases talked to, have considered engines like RPG Maker 'kiddy stuff'. Something that is supposed to be a game engine, but isn't much of what people would call as such. I, of course using the engine myself, do not agree, much like yourself. However, I know there is a few people that would be on the other side of the coin, saying that engines like RPG Maker isn't much of an engine, when I don't think they've seen what the engine itself can do. I myself base myself in game design, rather then programming and art, and find the engine perfect for someone like myself, which can push the engine to it's limit without having to stress about knowing and being capable of doing everything. Even if, perhaps, I could. But that's a discussion for another time.

That said, I can agree, the engine, or rather the people using them in the 'simple' way, isn't solely to blame. When you reuse assets and ideas over and over, with little to no change to them from the basic design, that's no better then the people that just use these engines to simply slap something together and call it a game. I mean, it's still a game in the simplest of sense, but far from something people would like to play. I think another problem is the idea that when it comes to erotic games, they take the idea 'sex sells' to heart. Not that that is untrue either, but at the same time, if you want to make a good erotic game, just like any game, you gotta put effort in.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I want to just point out a thing about 3d models, compared to 2d images 3d models are far more complex and are a greater time sink especially if you're doing them from scratch. You have to animate the model if you are doing animations, bit even before that you have to provide skin to the model, textures and bitmapping. I from personal experience (not with human models at least) never got around to the bitmapping and texture part of modeling. Making a model from scratch is very, very time consuming, texturing is just as consuming in time as making the model. Regardless of all that I will end there cause I could go on for a long while about the subject even though I'm an amateur 3d modeller and I haven't touched a 3d modelling program in several years.

Dragon

Mar 7, 2016
I want to just point out a thing about 3d models, compared to 2d images 3d models are far more complex and are a greater time sink especially if you're doing them from scratch. You have to animate the model if you are doing animations, bit even before that you have to provide skin to the model, textures and bitmapping. I from personal experience (not with human models at least) never got around to the bitmapping and texture part of modeling. Making a model from scratch is very, very time consuming, texturing is just as consuming in time as making the model. Regardless of all that I will end there cause I could go on for a long while about the subject even though I'm an amateur 3d modeller and I haven't touched a 3d modelling program in several years.

I have to disagree with you to an extent. Especially when it comes to animating. I have nothing but love for modelers who 3-d model from scratch, rig the models, texture and bit mapping them. Please do not resurrect the nightmares known as bit mapping. Never again!

But when it comes to animating, once a model, the hardest part of animating a 3-d model is rigging the model itself.once the model is rigged, animating it is actually easier to do than 2-d animation. Especially if you're choosing to cut corners and copy, pasting that rig onto another model and tweaking the skeleton where need be. Where in traditional animation, every key frame has to be broken down into an in-between and the in-between has to be drawn.

Now that's not saying that traditional 2-d doesn't have its corner cutters, but the time sink is vastly different for the two fields.

But the point is kind of mute when discussing games where many of the assets being used are taken from other places and not modelled from scratch and there are many H-games in general that don't model from scratch and we are talking about the effect it plays and not the effort put into the models themselves. Which is a double edge sword, it has its pros and its cons.

I just want to clear that up, no one is talking down on 3d models that actually do have effort put into them, or even an attempt of having their own assets regardless of how it looks. It's no different than how I have more love for the guy who did emmerzail, who used his own "shitty drawings" (his words, not mine) than I do the CC who just grab random illustrations off the internet and puts them in their game. But, this has gone way to the left field. I didn't want this devolving into a 2d vs 3d discussion, I got my fill of those back in the lab. Lol

Allow me to rephrase slightly; Many people I've seen and in some cases talked to, have considered engines like RPG Maker 'kiddy stuff'. Something that is supposed to be a game engine, but isn't much of what people would call as such. I, of course using the engine myself, do not agree, much like yourself. However, I know there is a few people that would be on the other side of the coin, saying that engines like RPG Maker isn't much of an engine, when I don't think they've seen what the engine itself can do. I myself base myself in game design, rather then programming and art, and find the engine perfect for someone like myself, which can push the engine to it's limit without having to stress about knowing and being capable of doing everything. Even if, perhaps, I could. But that's a discussion for another time.

That said, I can agree, the engine, or rather the people using them in the 'simple' way, isn't solely to blame. When you reuse assets and ideas over and over, with little to no change to them from the basic design, that's no better then the people that just use these engines to simply slap something together and call it a game. I mean, it's still a game in the simplest of sense, but far from something people would like to play. I think another problem is the idea that when it comes to erotic games, they take the idea 'sex sells' to heart. Not that that is untrue either, but at the same time, if you want to make a good erotic game, just like any game, you gotta put effort in.

I fully agree, which leads to the question, what in fact should be carrying the an H-games. Should it be story, gameplay, or sex. Right now it seems everyone goes with sex, it should be the core mechanic and yet that very idea is part of the saturation that we are seeing right now. Yet, when I see people talking about good H-games, the driving force behind it seem to either be story (the last sovereign) or mechanic (rance) and rarely off if the sex itself. This seems to be across the board also, from small single developers to bigger companies like illusion games.

TheAlexG

Jul 22, 2017
I fully agree, which leads to the question, what in fact should be carrying the an H-games. Should it be story, gameplay, or sex. Right now it seems everyone goes with sex, it should be the core mechanic and yet that very idea is part of the saturation that we are seeing right now. Yet, when I see people talking about good H-games, the driving force behind it seem to either be story (the last sovereign) or mechanic (rance) and rarely off if the sex itself. This seems to be across the board also, from small single developers to bigger companies like illusion games.

Perhaps the question shouldn't be what carries a game, but more, what the game poses itself to be, and how well it puts that idea into action. All successful games, in my opinion, have put themselves out as a specific type of game, followed it, without pandering to a 'cheap sale'. They know what they can do, they know what works well for them, and their audience, and they put their best foot forward. If a game presents itself, for example, as one that is about story time and sex in between, they should focus as those bit as their core, as that's what they're selling. I myself, as a developer, prefer to bring in a balance, not really leaning into any sort of specific category. I have lore, I have gameplay, and I have sexy bits, but I never rely specifically on one, nor do I make it out like I'm going to. I say what it is, and then put my best foot forward.

The thing is, like cooking, game development follows the same rule. Which is, "No matter what you make, you're not gonna please everyone." Which, to a degree, is true. However, I think as long as you're not just slapping stuff together and pushing it out as a game, then people will notice quality work, are least an attempt at it, and support the product you provide.

Nephilim_Anunnaki

Sep 7, 2015
*sigh* I don't want to open a can of worms here, this is just a personal opinion and don't means an attack.
After this is said, what I am really tired is games the kind "you are a young girl (or not) which moved lately to a town and every single npc tries to abuse sexually yours (even the child of your fiance) even blackmailed for your *behaviour* and you didn't seem to be aware or think on go to the police to report them (but with how this game is made even will be worse)".
The other extreme is valid tru "you are a guy who via magic or whatever mind control every single lady and abuse them".
But heh, I would give my right kidney to see a game who reverse those roles (a guy abused by everybody and/or a lady controling other npcs).
The other type of games I am geting fast tired are "you are a guy turned into a woman (or herm) and magically craves for males cock".
The last type is not necesary against it because if done correctly can be cool, are the abuse of 3d renders (more like the same generic, default models it comes with the software or bought cheap). And kills me the animations...

Dragon

Mar 7, 2016
*sigh* I don't want to open a can of worms here, this is just a personal opinion and don't means an attack.
After this is said, what I am really tired is games the kind "you are a young girl (or not) which moved lately to a town and every single npc tries to abuse sexually yours (even the child of your fiance) even blackmailed for your *behaviour* and you didn't seem to be aware or think on go to the police to report them (but with how this game is made even will be worse)".
The other extreme is valid tru "you are a guy who via magic or whatever mind control every single lady and abuse them".
But heh, I would give my right kidney to see a game who reverse those roles (a guy abused by everybody and/or a lady controling other npcs).
The other type of games I am geting fast tired are "you are a guy turned into a woman (or herm) and magically craves for males cock".
The last type is not necesary against it because if done correctly can be cool, are the abuse of 3d renders (more like the same generic, default models it comes with the software or bought cheap). And kills me the animations...
Yea, those are the "adventures of" and "life series" that we've been talking about.

I would be more tired of transformation games if it wasn't for the fact I really haven't seen any in a while. After I stopped visiting the tf site, the just disappeared off my radar. I'm still waiting to come across the tf game where a woman becomes a man and has to deal with having a penis though.

As for as being a guy being abused, I'm pretty sure there are games like that because that is definitely a fetish. Only ones I can recollect though tend to make the guy a freaking shota.
Perhaps the question shouldn't be what carries a game, but more, what the game poses itself to be, and how well it puts that idea into action. All successful games, in my opinion, have put themselves out as a specific type of game, followed it, without pandering to a 'cheap sale'. They know what they can do, they know what works well for them, and their audience, and they put their best foot forward. If a game presents itself, for example, as one that is about story time and sex in between, they should focus as those bit as their core, as that's what they're selling. I myself, as a developer, prefer to bring in a balance, not really leaning into any sort of specific category. I have lore, I have gameplay, and I have sexy bits, but I never rely specifically on one, nor do I make it out like I'm going to. I say what it is, and then put my best foot forward.

The thing is, like cooking, game development follows the same rule. Which is, "No matter what you make, you're not gonna please everyone." Which, to a degree, is true. However, I think as long as you're not just slapping stuff together and pushing it out as a game, then people will notice quality work, are least an attempt at it, and support the product you provide.
Again I agree, which is part of the reason I've slowly become more picky in what I choose to play now.

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
I'm still waiting to come across the tf game where a woman becomes a man and has to deal with having a penis though.
Now that'd be something interesting to see. As well as seeing a male trying to make any sense of female attributes.

As for the thread topic, all I can say is that those 3D "slice of life" games and those fantasy ones created using RPG Maker look one and the same to me, which makes things a tad difficult.

Last edited:

Jash

Oct 8, 2015
Honestly, I'm just sick of seeing the same exact goddamn ASSETS being reused again and again. I swear if I see that goddamn black-tiled shower cubicle or white-bricked bedroom with the double bed and the door down a short flight of stairs, I'm gonna flip out (or alt-F4 at least).

Dragon

Mar 7, 2016
I've come across quite a few "games" that are basically a 20 minute playthrough where you make like two decisions with barely different endings. It's like, really?!
Ugh, visual novels... when I first started looking for stuff one of the first games I played was a Ren'Py that gave you the illusion of choice with multiple choices of how to reply. I assumed most visual novels was like this (again, this is when I first started digging). After about my third one, I learned my lesson about what VN and ADV tags meant, "bitch you must be bored to select this because you just want to read a digital book!"

To this day Im very picky about visual novels, especially when it comes to the type of art they have. I'm not a big fan of anime art, I don't completely hte it, but there are degrees.

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
You know you got a good VN when it takes you a while to go through it. Point in case, Fate Stay Night took me over 15 hours just to complete Saber's route, the amount of reading that goes into it is good. I hate VN's that have next to no story or very shallow story.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
>Ren'Py
>Visual Novels

Only like the top 1% of these can even be considered good.

Aug 13, 2017
I have to agree with the over saturation of Incest stuff lately. It's actually one of my bigger Fetishes though so normally that would be awesome for me. The problem is that most of them are pretty meh... and that's kind of putting it mildly. Still kind of torn on it though considering that a while ago it was damn hard to find anything even on the subject. I think I would like to see less but with better quality.

Nephilim_Anunnaki

Sep 7, 2015
I have to agree with the over saturation of Incest stuff lately. It's actually one of my bigger Fetishes though so normally that would be awesome for me. The problem is that most of them are pretty meh... and that's kind of putting it mildly. Still kind of torn on it though considering that a while ago it was damn hard to find anything even on the subject. I think I would like to see less but with better quality.

Yeah, I prefear quality over quantity.

Aug 13, 2017
Also the 3Dish models that lots of the games tend to use, I don't really like. It seems to make lots of the characters look weird. I tend to prefer ones with custom hand drawn art, which I know not everyone can do.

Emerald

Jun 8, 2016
Also the 3Dish models that lots of the games tend to use, I don't really like. It seems to make lots of the characters look weird. I tend to prefer ones with custom hand drawn art, which I know not everyone can do.
Gonna add to this. A helluva lot of games I see in the Other Games/Showcase are 3D and all that. And because of that I just don't find them appealing at all ascetically. Tends to fall into uncanny ya know?
I'm more into Text Games and well drawn 2D art, but it's almost impossible to find those that are either text and/or 2D media AND tickle my fancy at the same time.

Last edited:

Dragon

Mar 7, 2016
I just might start adding "incest" games to the list of games I'm tired of seeing. Especially ones where the son is x years old, no job or obligations but somehow has a hot mother who seems to always be dating a jerk. Breaks her up from that jerk and somehow gets her to shirk off all social responsibility to become his cock slave. There is usually a sister involved as well who somehow also ends up his cock slave.

Like, I understand pandering but still... but still pull it back some.

magikarpfever

Feb 26, 2017
i hate how in some hentai games they have a really boring male protagonist that everyone thinks is super hot yet his only redeeming quality is that hes nice. thats it. all these gorgeous women with such interesting design and then you have blandfaceMcgee.

sumgai

Jul 17, 2017
i hate how in some hentai games they have a really boring male protagonist that everyone thinks is super hot yet his only redeeming quality is that hes nice. thats it. all these gorgeous women with such interesting design and then you have blandfaceMcgee.

It's to make it easier for the viewer to imagine themselves as the protagonist. Real relationships are a lot of work and heart ache, even the successful ones! But that's hard to write, so just make the lead a generic nice guy and every female will drop their panties! It's not bad... but overplayed.

To chime in on hentai games. Meet n' Fuck. Hey, swipe art, shoddily animate it, and click! Pass.

Hizor

Feb 23, 2016
I've been considering for a time to make a H-game myself, using a budget for art assets so that its quality and not images pulled from the internet. It's a co-project, but right now we are working on deciding what would be a good start for the game? And I think this is a good spot to put this question. What 2-D image, Text based game would you like to see, what parts of it do you wish to see most? Awesome Art, Great Story, Superb Soundtrack? Yes, all three would be nice, but with the budget we can only focus our attention on one of the three at the time.

Akhter13

Aug 30, 2015
What 2-D image, Text based game would you like to see, what parts of it do you wish to see most? Awesome Art, Great Story, Superb Soundtrack?
Should this not have its own thread?
But to answer your question...Great Story...by a country mile [by which I mean self consistent characters driving the plot to a believable conclusion]
Art is nice, however unless it is unnervingly creepy it isn't gonna be a game breaker
Soundtrack- frankly I always play in silence to improve concentration

Reactions: Bawdy Ink Slinger