One Last Hunt (Lewd Jam edition)

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
oAIqMpd.jpg

You are a monster hunter who's looking to retire from the profession. However your tastes mean that you simply aren't willing to settle down with just anyone, it's got to be a monster-girl. So you plan your last hunt, where it will be tame or be tamed.

Download the game from here.

This game's programming and writing was done by Dark Master, the artwork and animation was done by The Hidden Hanger.

This game was done for the Lewd Jam and completed in 13 days. It features m/f sexual content. Fetishes involved are monster girls, harvesting body substances, and both dominance and submission.

Last edited:

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
I'm having a lot of trouble with resisting once the monstergirl breaks one of my attributes.  No matter how much I click while the box is green it doesn't seem to have an effect.  And since that does 34 damage each time it only takes 3 instances to drop my resistance to 0.  The minigames are also a bitch to play with a touchpad, but that's not too big of a deal.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I'm having a lot of trouble with resisting once the monstergirl breaks one of my attributes.  No matter how much I click while the box is green it doesn't seem to have an effect.  And since that does 34 damage each time it only takes 3 instances to drop my resistance to 0.  The minigames are also a bitch to play with a touchpad, but that's not too big of a deal.

Are you clicking twice on each bounce?  The balance on that game was something that's really tricky, since failure has the greatest consequences, but if it isn't challenging enough there's no real chance the player loses.

I gave it a play. I quite like it! A problem I encounter though, is that when playing in windowed mode, the game doesn't scale correctly, and it cuts off at the sides.

E: Apologies, I didn't notice the showcase thread.

Are you playing with a 16:9 aspect ratio?  You should be fine as long as you pick a resolution that has that.

balitz Method

Aug 13, 2016

Don't click more than once per bounce with the resist minigame. The timing for it isn't super sharp so your second+ click is likely being counted as a miss and misses will kill you.

also it's worth it to wear down the other stats even once you've broken one since how high their stat is will directly affect how much stat damage they'll do, so wearing their stats down will allow you to put off the inevitable break. The basic strategy is to find their weakest stat, break it as quickly as possible, then wear down their others to preserve yours in between taming attempts.

eyecourt

Jan 22, 2016
I must admit, fuck that Avoidance mini-game. Good game but tfuck that avoidance mini-game, it's very difficult to avoid attacks while also trying to stay close but not too close to the red dot while the game just pushed you around either closer to the enemy or further so that you take damage. I don't think I've ever gotten out of that without taking damage.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I must admit, fuck that Avoidance mini-game. Good game but tfuck that avoidance mini-game, it's very difficult to avoid attacks while also trying to stay close but not too close to the red dot while the game just pushed you around either closer to the enemy or further so that you take damage. I don't think I've ever gotten out of that without taking damage.

That's the whole intention of the challenge.  You aren't suppose to avoid taking any damage at all, just minimize how much you take.  That said, we simply didn't have time to do a whole bunch of balance testing and we didn't have any playtesters to help out with getting the general difficulty of the game ironed out.

In other news, I'm not use to having actual artwork available to me to advertise my games.  I can't believe I forgot to put the banner in the OP before now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miscellaneous Forum Viewer

Apr 6, 2016
Definitely needs balancing. I could just be bad at games after having taken a break from them for college but no matter how many times I retried it I was never able to win against either monster. I got halfway with the harpy after breaking all her stats but by then I had 4hp left and she did the face-sitting thing on her turn and I instantly lost. Either this schmuck is no where near as good as he thinks he is or he's incredibly stupid for attempting these things one-on-one. Perhaps both.

At least that's been my experience so far. Even doing well and avoiding the majority of damage in the avoidance thing and also hitting every target during the attack phase consistently isn't enough to actually win. Unless there's some trick I don't know about, it's near impossible unless you're incredibly lucky.

Other than that, the story's decent and the art as well. I also like the theoretical concept that I could tame the monster-girl instead, despite my entire lack of success. It just dramatically needs balancing to actually be enjoyable. For just a quick game though, it's very well done.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Definitely needs balancing. I could just be bad at games after having taken a break from them for college but no matter how many times I retried it I was never able to win against either monster. I got halfway with the harpy after breaking all her stats but by then I had 4hp left and she did the face-sitting thing on her turn and I instantly lost. Either this schmuck is no where near as good as he thinks he is or he's incredibly stupid for attempting these things one-on-one. Perhaps both.

At least that's been my experience so far. Even doing well and avoiding the majority of damage in the avoidance thing and also hitting every target during the attack phase consistently isn't enough to actually win. Unless there's some trick I don't know about, it's near impossible unless you're incredibly lucky.

Other than that, the story's decent and the art as well. I also like the theoretical concept that I could tame the monster-girl instead, despite my entire lack of success. It just dramatically needs balancing to actually be enjoyable. For just a quick game though, it's very well done.

Thanks.  How close are you getting to beating the girl?  How much damage do you tend to average on the taming attacks and taking on the monster's taming attack?  How many attacks do you tend to last through before getting a stat broken?  Are you having trouble with one particular attack on the dodge game?

Actually, if everyone could share their experience with this, it would go a long way towards knowing how to help with the balance or tutorials.

Apr 6, 2016
The most common range of hp I can reduce either of them to is 115. I got the Harpy down to 56 after I broke everything and just started directing attacking her for 22 damage. When I get hit by the taming attacks the most common number I take is around 23-25 and the most I deal is 12-16(the mini-game is not my forte). I can usually take 2-4 attacks before something breaks 2 when I didn't do so well and 4 when I do quite well. I don't have any particular difficulty with any attacks, it's that when I get 1 or 2 I still take at a minimum of 7 damage when I've already lost a good chunk of stats on the way to the fight, and grasslands rarely if ever show up.

The dodge game would be easier if the character was faster and/or could move diagonally.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
The most common range of hp I can reduce either of them to is 115. I got the Harpy down to 56 after I broke everything and just started directing attacking her for 22 damage. When I get hit by the taming attacks the most common number I take is around 23-25 and the most I deal is 12-16(the mini-game is not my forte). I can usually take 2-4 attacks before something breaks 2 when I didn't do so well and 4 when I do quite well. I don't have any particular difficulty with any attacks, it's that when I get 1 or 2 I still take at a minimum of 7 damage when I've already lost a good chunk of stats on the way to the fight, and grasslands rarely if ever show up.

The dodge game would be easier if the character was faster and/or could move diagonally.

It sounds like you should be able to win if you change your strategy a bit.  First off, the terrains that appear are fixed, just randomly placed.  The harpy has 1 grassland, the minotaur has 3.  So the minotaur has a slightly easier map.  Try to keep the stat that your enemy is strongest in as high as you can before the fight starts so you can survive hits from that for longer.  In battle, focus on taking down the monster's weakest stat first, then tame on every other attack.  If you still have 10 points in that stat, you can break that stat in two attacks after near perfect shooter minigames.  It isn't a bad idea to lower the enemy's strongest stat as your secondary goal so you take less automatic damage (5 when the strongest stat is at its starting value), you can even hit that stat with your first attack to get that auto damage down.  The basic attack action is a red haring, you should probably never be using it.  It can do more damage than you're likely to do with a taming attack once all of the enemy's stats have been depleted, but its damage scales down the lower your enemy's health is and to get that level of damage you need to not use the taming attack as soon as you can.

Apr 6, 2016
Played through again, helped immensely and I beat them both. However, there is no indication of what their weakest stat is except for perhaps what they say after you successfully attack them, which means you're less likely to be able to exploit that in time to beat her. There's no indication of strongest either but you could easily guess. The RNG on the overland travel is still quite unforgiving. It's not a bad game although folks don't play erotic games for the sake of the challenge unless there's an equivalent payoff waiting for them, which I don't think there is. 

You spend a fair amount of time and focus on the fight which is not intuitive and then get a picture of you stickin' your dick in the harpy's butt with some flavor text to the side. One scene.

As it is currently, folks are more likely to play a couple times and get frustrated with the game and then go do something else. It'll be interesting to see what you intend to do from here. It has potential to go somewhere though, although I hope that somewhere will be more than 5-20 minutes of a fight then one scene. If you can find a way to make the experience enjoyable the whole way through or at least mostly I think it can do very well.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Glad to hear that it was an issue with the strategy of the fight rather than necessarily the difficulty of the games.  The intention with the stats is that you're suppose to work it out either through trial and error or from hints in the events.  The problem is that there simply wasn't enough time to properly fill out the events.  Also the fight scenes were suppose to have more minigames in them, one for each attack type and variations for things like the dodge game based on the enemy.  We also would have probably made the fights somewhat shorter by playing further with the balance, but again time was not on our side for that.

Some of the tutorial stuff for the combat also ended up never getting in the game due to time constraints.  For example, originally I intended to make it so that hovering over the buttons in the menu told you what they did and gave the instructions for the minigame instead of the combat blurbs.

The reward at the end being worth the effort you put into getting there was honestly never something I actually considered.  When making the game, me and Jass wanted to make something interesting and original that we also learned something from at the same time.  Personally I dislike games that don't offer a real chance of failure, so I wanted to make sure that you could lose the fight if you did bad enough or didn't consider strategy at all.  Even with the current setup, I never actually lost without doing so intentionally but was afraid to push things even harder without getting some playtesting.  So my main goal was to provide a challenge, I wasn't really trying to make something that was guarding some amazing reward that you'd get for all your hard work.

I'm not sure if we'll take the game further or not right now.  It all depends on what happens over the next month or two.  In the mean time, I'm getting back into my regular projects and Jass has something he'll be focusing on himself.  For now, the game is exactly what it was always intended to be, since it was made in just two weeks for a game jam.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
Thanks.  How close are you getting to beating the girl?  How much damage do you tend to average on the taming attacks and taking on the monster's taming attack?  How many attacks do you tend to last through before getting a stat broken?  Are you having trouble with one particular attack on the dodge game?

Actually, if everyone could share their experience with this, it would go a long way towards knowing how to help with the balance or tutorials.

I'm typically lucky if I can get the monstergirls health down to 50%.  My taming attacks aver 10-15 damage, and their taming attacks usually do 30-34 damage.  I typically break one of their stats one or two rounds before they break one of mine now that I've gotten used to the avoidance game.  The attack I have the biggest problem with is the rubberband effect.  Once they start getting far away I have to decide whether I'm going to dodge attacks or move closer.  If I choose to dodge or don't move close enough she bounces back to me and I wind up getting hit 4-5 times instantly.

Still fun, and the difficulty makes sense for the story.  I'll try out the strategy you mentioned and see how I do.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I'm typically lucky if I can get the monstergirls health down to 50%.  My taming attacks aver 10-15 damage, and their taming attacks usually do 30-34 damage.  I typically break one of their stats one or two rounds before they break one of mine now that I've gotten used to the avoidance game.  The attack I have the biggest problem with is the rubberband effect.  Once they start getting far away I have to decide whether I'm going to dodge attacks or move closer.  If I choose to dodge or don't move close enough she bounces back to me and I wind up getting hit 4-5 times instantly.

Still fun, and the difficulty makes sense for the story.  I'll try out the strategy you mentioned and see how I do.

If you're taking maximum damage on taming attacks, I'm not sure you'll be able to win even with the optimal strategy.  The enemy is suppose to break through your attributes eventually, and I don't think you'll be able to take them down if you've only got around six rounds before they finish you off once a stat is broken.  Try focusing on getting one click on the bounce game per bounce, just so you can reduce the amount of damage you take a bit and earn a few more rounds.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
If you're taking maximum damage on taming attacks, I'm not sure you'll be able to win even with the optimal strategy.  The enemy is suppose to break through your attributes eventually, and I don't think you'll be able to take them down if you've only got around six rounds before they finish you off once a stat is broken.  Try focusing on getting one click on the bounce game per bounce, just so you can reduce the amount of damage you take a bit and earn a few more rounds.

I've tried that, it didn't help.  30 is the lowest I've ever gotten on of their taming attacks to do and that was with one click per bounce.  I did get super lucky with Talulah by taking advantage of grasslands and her not focusing on any one stat too much.  By the time she broke the first stat I already had her resistance down to about 70.  Still no luck with Pivli.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I've tried that, it didn't help.  30 is the lowest I've ever gotten on of their taming attacks to do and that was with one click per bounce.  I did get super lucky with Talulah by taking advantage of grasslands and her not focusing on any one stat too much.  By the time she broke the first stat I already had her resistance down to about 70.  Still no luck with Pivli.

30 is the maximum damage you can take from the minigame.  It will end early if you take that much and just add whatever automatic damage you would have taken on top of that.  I'm afraid that if you're always taking that much damage I can't really help you anymore, there must be something you're doing wrong with the game or something weird going on with your computer relative to the processing power the game requires.  That's all I can really guess for that.

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
30 is the maximum damage you can take from the minigame.  It will end early if you take that much and just add whatever automatic damage you would have taken on top of that.  I'm afraid that if you're always taking that much damage I can't really help you anymore, there must be something you're doing wrong with the game or something weird going on with your computer relative to the processing power the game requires.  That's all I can really guess for that.

I've had issues with my laptop's touchpad lately, maybe it's not registering clicks during the minigame.  I suppose I'll have to find my portable mouse if I want to get a harpy lover.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I've had issues with my laptop's touchpad lately, maybe it's not registering clicks during the minigame.  I suppose I'll have to find my portable mouse if I want to get a harpy lover.

Spacebar might work as an alternative.  Both that and the mouse click will work, but I never balance tested using spacebar so I didn't include it in the tutorial.  A laptop trackpad would certainly make the game MUCH more difficult, since it will be a lot harder to deal damage than with a regular mouse.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
A little question, can we hunt the Lamia or is she not in the game?

She isn't in the game.  We originally planned on making three monsters for the jam, but didn't have time for more than the two.  Her being in the selection window is a legacy element.

Chiron_Maximus

Mar 2, 2017
She isn't in the game. We originally planned on making three monsters for the jam, but didn't have time for more than the two. Her being in the selection window is a legacy element.

Any plans to release a patch or update that includes the lamia or is that it for the game in of itself?

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
I don't really know if the game is too hard. Lost my first game and won the next two. I wouldn't say that the avoidance minigame is too difficult, but it sure feels like it goes on forever. They always seem to spam it, even though their agility is completely broken.

Other than that I love this game. It's rare to find something that isn't massively biased to either the dominate or submit side.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Any plans to release a patch or update that includes the lamia or is that it for the game in of itself?
Not currently. Adding her wouldn't be a trivial update, it would take at least two days of work.

I don't really know if the game is too hard. Lost my first game and won the next two. I wouldn't say that the avoidance minigame is too difficult, but it sure feels like it goes on forever. They always seem to spam it, even though their agility is completely broken.

Other than that I love this game. It's rare to find something that isn't massively biased to either the dominate or submit side.
All of the stat reduction attacks trigger the avoidance game, which the enemy will mainly use until one of your stats are broken. We didn't have time to make more minigames for the jam and that one does go on longer than the others (20 seconds for dodging, all the others last less than 10).

Glad to hear you liked the game.

Ragdollomega

Apr 4, 2017
Frustrating at first, but it became easy enough once I got the hang of it. Though, the strategic advise wasn't too helpful. What worked for me was trying to keep all the stats relatively even with the primary stat of the monster a little higher during the first part. Then hit the monster's primary stat on the first turn, followed by hitting the stat that ends up lowest after the monster's first attack or attacking the primary stat again depending on how much damage I took. If a stats base damage was 1 or 0, I moved on to another stat instead of breaking it. I ended up breaking the monster's primary stat first more often than not once I had the strat down cus it was too dangerous too let a 5 base damage attack run rampant. I curse that green box minigame from the bottom of my heart, but didn't have to see it ever again doing the previously stated strat.

Of course I had to be really good at the other 2 minigames so I hardly took on additional damage from the dodge game and I would get 5 targets almost every time with the occasional 6 on the target game.

Thanks for making this cool little game. :D

Reactions: TheDarkMaster