Digitigrade, Plantigrade, or Unguligrade?

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
Hey,

So I've noticed that a a few of the legs morphs in-game don't exactly match their animal counterparts. I know it's not, like, a huge deal, and maybe it's already been discussed before? But, as I'm finishing up my Goat-TF Item, I've noticed the following while browsing the wiki and gitHub:

1. Panda Pro/Pandaneen Pill turns legs Digitigrade, but Pandas (and bears in general) are Plantigrade. 
  2. Ruskvel turns legs Plantigrade, but official art of Raskvels makes it look like they're Digitigrades.
  3. Ovir Ace turns legs Plantigrade, but official art of Ovir makes it look like they're Digitigrades. (unless they're just both standing on their tip-toes.)
  4. Ausar/Huskar Treat turns legs Plantigrade, but canines are Digitigrades? Answer: because Savin said so xD
  5. Same for Nepeta and Kaithrit; the TF makes them Plantigrade, but felines are Digitigrades?
  6. MinoCharge (Digitigrade), Bovinium (Plantigrade), and Equinium (Digitigrade) give PCs hooved feet, but animals with hooves are Unguligrades. (Official art also pegs at least Bull and Cow-morphs as Unguligrades)

Again, not a big thing, but I wonder if going forward any of this will be corrected/anyone even cares outside of my OCD ass. (I'm tentatively using the Unguligrade Flag for my TF, but if everyone is just going to use plantigrade or digitigrade instead it's no big deal.)

Last edited by a moderator:

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
None of the Kaithrit NPCs are Digitigrade and neither does the Kaithrit tf give you Digitigrade legs

Also Ausar/huskar are more human-looking than canine and they have Plantigrade legs because Savin said so.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
There is no unguligrade flag, so it is interchangeable with the digitigrade flag--the leg flags are supposed to be more for descriptive purposes rather than scientific accuracy (basically: does this leg joint orientation look humanoid or beastly?). I can bugfix the bear/panda legs. For the cow variants, Bovinium changes users into humanoid cow girls, so if the legs are plantigrade, they should be human legs--if that is not the case and the legs are hooved, then that should be bug reported. Most, if not all, hoofed legs should turn out to be digitigrade.

epidemico

Apr 5, 2016
There is no unguligrade flag, so it is interchangeable with the digitigrade flag--the leg flags are supposed to be more for descriptive purposes rather than scientific accuracy (basically: does this leg joint orientation look humanoid or beastly?). I can bugfix the bear/panda legs. For the cow variants, Bovinium changes users into humanoid cow girls, so if the legs are plantigrade, they should be human legs--if that is not the case and the legs are hooved, then that should be bug reported. Most, if not all, hoofed legs should turn out to be digitigrade.

Yeah, I just checked: there's this bit of code associated with Bovinium that gives a low chance for hooves

//Low chance for cow-leg TF

//PC leg type becomes bipedal, fur-covered, with hooves for feet.

if (rand(20) == 0 && changes < tChanges && (target.legType != GLOBAL.TYPE_BOVINE || !target.hasLegFlag(GLOBAL.FLAG_HOOVES) || target.legCount != 2))

{

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Okay, got it in a pull request (#909). That entire block seemed to be a bit buggy too.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
We had this exact same wearying discussion about whether raskvel were digitigrade or plantigrade back when I wrote their TF, thanks to that picture. Basically - Renezuo got the wrong end of the stick, they are plantigrades.

crushogre

Sep 2, 2015
I think that's just his art style. The treated woman with human feet is also up on her toes

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Ausar/Huskar Treat turns legs Plantigrade, but canines are Digitigrades? Answer: because Savin said so xD

This one is actually a bit odd, as the game described them as both paws and feet at random if you check your appearance. I'm fairly certain it's because the "canine" flag is meant to cover both Ausar and actual dog-like legs (future TF, most likely).

Edit: Played around with the flags, Ausar TF adds the "paws" flag, though you can edit it out to get a more consistent description (imo)

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
This one is actually a bit odd, as the game described them as both paws and feet at random if you check your appearance. I'm fairly certain it's because the "canine" flag is meant to cover both Ausar and actual dog-like legs (future TF, most likely).

That's cause ausar are kinda canine paw-ish but still plantigrade. Just check out the many pieces of art containing any of the puppersloots. :p  

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
HNNNG ANNO PROPERTY OF STEELE

NotYouNorI

Aug 26, 2015
I have no idea what art you're looking at.

Looks more like furry human ones to me.

I could only find two pieces that look remotely pawlike. And even then, it's only because they're on the balls of their feet.

Well, as I said, their legs are overall more human than canine with paw-ish look to them whatnot with pads and those hard claw-like nails which is what we are looking at with those picture.

I apologize, i should have been more descriptive. :(  

HNNNG ANNO PROPERTY OF STEELE

Ingame Anno "PROPERTY OF STEELE" tattoo when!

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Well, as I said, their legs are overall more human than canine with paw-ish look to them whatnot with pads and those hard claw-like nails which is what we are looking at with those picture.

This @Woider. It doesn't matter the orientation of the metatarsals, a paw is something that isn't a flat foot with flat nails. "Pawed" is a flag type, leithan legs end up pawed as well (oddly enough) even though not something you'd assume would be a "paw". Art can be misgiven due to artist's vision.

treatedfae

Dec 19, 2015
I've seen this topic come up a few times before and I believe last time it came down to the fact that "aliens that look like animals ≠ those animals." Besides even if all the writers from now on decided to start using the "correct" leg descriptors, then it would come off as odd that all character created before that point wouldn't have the "proper" descriptors.