The Broken Throne (for TheAnnoyingNoob)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The two guardsmen look at each other. Judging by their expressions, you think they bought your story- most likely because it was true in any case. Men like Argus were bound to have more than one woman lying around.

"I'm sure the inspector will want to question this woman as well," The first orc says to his companion before looking at you. "Rest assured, we'll get to the bottom of this and- wait, what did you mean harm herself? Is it really that urgent?"

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
I bit my lip to hide my surprise. Was this actually going to work? Wringing my hands nervously I stammered, "I-I mean, I never knew her well but when I brought her Master Argus' sonnets, it seemed as if nothing else mattered to her. T-they had a fight one night, and when I arrived at her husbands manor to deliver an apology on the Masters behalf... She had barricaded herself in her room and refused to leave until he came to apologize in person. I... I imitated his voice, and when she emerged she seemed so happy! But when she realized it was a trick she..." I feigned a blush and looked away, "well, she did things to me. I-it might not be that bad! Maybe she'll reconsider her love for him now that he's passed away, it's just... Out of respect for the Master, I wanted to be sure." At this point I was breathless and could feel myself sweating and squirming before them. It had all poured into my mind so suddenly and I'd said it as soon as I'd thought it. Gods, just buy it. Just buy into the story...

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Charisma roll: 19. Critical!)

The orc's companion mutters something in their native tongue.

"You don't have to tell me twice! I don't want another dead noble on our hands either," he protests before turning back to you. "We'd better find this woman and bring her in before she becomes a danger to herself. Take me to her."

The other guard leaves to report to his supervisor. You now have an excuse to leave the mansion grounds, albeit with a chaperone. You had better think of something before the guard becomes suspicious of your story.

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Nodding hurriedly I started off through the hole we had made in the hedges and towards the tool shed, moving as fast as I dared to. "We'll use the servants passages. Rata, could you lead the way? You've always had a better sense of direction than me." Hopefully Tara would know where I was headed with this. If we could pull ahead and round the right corner we could take off and lose him in the maze of tunnels.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Tara leads you and the guard to the gardening shed next door. The orc raises an eyebrow as you pull open the trap door, but goes along willingly enough. He must not realize the labyrinthine quality of these passages... You notice that Tara doesn't light her lantern this time and after a few turns in the tunnels, grabs your hand in the darkness.

"Now!"

"Wait, where are you- oh hells! Halt!"

The soldier's commands morph into a string of curses as you flee deeper underground. After a dizzying sprint of twisting turns, Tara slows allowing you to catch your breath.

"Thank the gods that worked," She gasps, stooping to light her lantern. "...We should probably send a servant to "bump" into him later. I wouldn't want him to starve down here."

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Collapsing against the wall of the passage, I let out a heavy sigh. "Yes... Yes, we probably should send someone. Tara, if I ever try to talk you into something as mad as this again I need you to restrain me." Catching my breath, I pushed off from the wall. "In the meantime, we have a code to decipher." Unrolling the scrap of paper and showing it to my companion I asked, "Can you read it?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Somehow I know you're going to keep doing reckless things. And Malius or I aren't going to be able to stop you. Here, let me see that."

Tara gingerly takes the parchment, trying to avoid the bloodstains.

"It's not one of our ciphers," She says, squinting in the dim lantern light. "We'll need an expert to unlock its secrets... And considering you made all of the codes we use, that's probably you."

The code is brutally cryptic. You'll need time and reference materials- and coffee- to figure out this one. Your father's study should prove private enough- so long as Lu'rak or one of his minions didn't get too curious as to what you were up to.

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
As my adrenaline high died off and exhaustion set in, I retrieved the scrap of parchment from Tara and secreted it away in my uniform. I should be able to hide the nature of the code with a little effort. No one need know- In fact, it would be far better if no one knew it except perhaps the Prince. If it became necessary to make use of his power and position than an 'anonymous' tip from Tara should prove sufficient to communicate my findings without strictly implicating me in anything unlawful. To the palace, then. We shouldn't let Malius or the Prince get suspicious of my absence, and I'll need rest if I'm to decipher this without incident."

Falling in behind Tara, I ask "Perhaps you could find some of that wine Father do liked? I think I may need it if I'm to ever sleep."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Hopefully Malius didn't feel the need to check up on you. He'd probably have torn the palace apart if you were discovered missing."

Tara helps you change out of your disguise into set of lounging silks. You sit on your bed, wine in hand, while Tara slowly brushes your hair. In the silence, your mind inevitably wanders back to Lanya's cold body and the secrets that died with the royalist agent. What of Argus's dealings was so damning that it motivated someone to commit murder? Was the mysterious stranger you saw in the tunnels behind it all?

"You know this is only going to get worse," Tara murmurs. She pauses in her work to rest her chin on your shoulder. "The war always seemed so far away- I guess I was naive to think nothing bad would happen. Gods Rox, I'm sorry you had to see that."

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Morosely pondering the death of Tara's friend, she mercifully derailed my train of thought. "Worse?" I hissed, standing up, "Tara, it won't get worse, that's something I can promise. This happened because I was stupid; I messed up and thought that getting involved personally would fix things... I could have pressured Malius to have his men storm the manor before anyone else could reach it! They could have presented themselves as opportunists or thugs. It would be suspicious, but no one could trace it back to us!"

Worked up now, I let out my frustration by kicking and punching the air until I was read in the face. "Can you believe that Tara! They may have even gotten there faster! Hell, If I hadn't hesitated we may have stormed in before the murderer got-" I froze as it dawned on me. A murder like that couldn't have been too silent, and that butler... perhaps I could exert some pressure on him after the events of tonight...

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Tara snatches your hand as you commence your tirade, looking you fiercely in the eye.

"Rox, you can't take responsibility for this! You did the best you could with the information available. If you had told Malius to send for the palace guard, what then? Lu'rak is already suspicious of you. If you all but revealed to him that you were operating a spy network under his nose, he'd do worse than confine you to the palace! L-lanya wouldn't have wanted that. She knew what she was doing when she volunteered. We all did and- Rox, why aren't you looking at me?"

Your friend shakes your arm, pulling you from your train of thought. She stares at you with more than a little concern. 

Last edited by a moderator:

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
"The butler!" I whispered, "The man who assaulted you! I could call him to the palace, or send one of Malius' men to 'visit' him and press him for anything he knows! Lanya didn't look to have died without a fight so perhaps he heard something, saw someone suspicious. He need not know I was there that night, or even that I'm involved, only that he upset someone rather more important than himself... We will of course have to wait for Lu'rak and his men to leave the manor be, so we can't make a move tonight, but tomorrow..."

Grinning devilishly at my friend I lowered my voice even further. "Where's the flaw, Tara? Their has to be one, it's too good to be real."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Well... We did leave him tied up." Tara says slowly. "That's bond to look suspicious to Lu'rak and his men, provided they find him. Just a hunch, but I don't think someone like him will be eager too talk about two girls crushing his balls. Whether we can get any information from him depends on if they detain him for questioning. That and Lu'rak's interrogation techniques."

She lets out an unladylike snort.

"S-sorry, I just was thinking. What if they don't find him? Stuffed in that closet for the whole night. Serves him right, the bastard."

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
I let out my own snort at the thought, collapsing back onto my bed. "Well, I suppose every cloud has its silver lining."  Laying still for several moments as my own exactions sunk in I continued, "Tata, would you mind drawing another bath? Today has been exhausting, too much so to settle in and read. I need to just... Relax and forget about it all. The rest can wait until tomorrow."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Sure Rox"

Steam rolls in from the ajoining bath, accompanied by the soothing scents of lavender and chamomile. Tara gives you a few minutes of time alone before returning. She still hasn't changed out of her humble servants' garb, having tied back the sleeves and hiked up the skirt, allowing better freedom of movement... And giving you a good look at those long legs.

"What? I think it's practical," Tara says with a flushed face. "You have no idea how long it takes to get stains out of the whites I normally wear."

Soon you are in the tub with your hair pulled back under a damp towel. You recline into the steaming water, flanked by Tara's bare legs as she perches behind you, gentle hands expertly kneading at your shoulders and back. It is silent for a few moments before Tara starts humming the refrain of a simple laborer's song. 

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Casting the events of the day from my mind as I sank into the tub I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy Tara's company (and massage). Giggling silently as she began to hum I took up the tune as well, doing my best to match the unfamiliar song. "Imagine what Malius would think if he walked in now! He'd be mortified; at least until he was overwhelmed with embarrassment!" Picking up the tune once again it wasn't long before I stopped and sat up, turning to look at Tara, genuinely puzzled. "Tata, why is it that I've known you my whole life yet know nothing about your family?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Tara pauses in her work. From the silence, you can tell she is genuinely surprised.

"Well... It never really came up when we were girls. If you remember, I barely spoke to words to you the first few years after our meeting."

She pinches your side gently causing you to jump a little bit. The familiarity is a stark contrast of when Tara was assigned to you all those years ago. Even now Tara has moments of strict adherence to the servant-master relationship, but back then she would barely nod her head yes when you spoke to her. It took months of coaxing before you could converse. Looking back on it now, it seems a small miracle that you had become friends.

"My family has served yours for generations. My mother works in the kitchens and father was a groomsman before an injury kept him home. I make time to see them now and again, but it was their proudest moment when I was chosen to become your companion. Whenever I visit they always ask if I shouldn't be at your side... You are a bit needy after all."

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Cocking my head to the side, I just had to ask "Am I really that needy? I'd never noticed before. I suppose that if a friend is willing to tell me I'm needy then I should probably cut back a bit." Grabbing the edge of the tub, I stopped myself just before rising. 

Well, there's no reason to waste a good bath I suppose...

"What... what do your family think of me? And the rest of the servants?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Joking, Rox," Tara giggles, gently pulling back your hair into a braid. "You're the princess and it's my job to make sure the little things are taken care of so you don't have to worry about them. A ruler can hardly fulfill their obligation to the people if they're stuck doing laundry."

There is a moment of calm as your handmaiden's dexterous fingers continue their work, you get the sense that Tara is mulling over your question.

"Many of the servants are like my parents and I. We're determined to do our duty to the crown. We loved your father just as we do you, but our commitment runs deeper than that. We... We know that by caring for the royal family, we care for all of Fastalan- like a family of sorts."

"Gods, that sounds rather fuzzy, doesn't it?" Tara laughs with embarrassment. "I'm not saying we're all saints, but you can count on most of the palace staff. Definitely the ones in our network- I've known most of them since I was a girl. But best keep yourself aloof. Getting too familiar with those below your station will only attract unwanted attention and put all those involved at risk." 

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
"I suppose you're right, Rox. Though I'm not much of a ruler now, am I?" I continued with some degree of fear, "Rox... What am I to do with myself now? Before everything fell apart I always felt I knew what to do, but now I can hardly decide how to spend the evening hours!"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Rox, you are smarter and braver than the rest of the court put together. It's true! How many other nobles would have attempted what we did tonight? Misguided or not, your risked yourself for the sake of others- to uncover the true enemies of Fastalan. Every other blue blood I know is busy groveling to Lu'rak, cripplied by fear or pettiness!"

She pauses mid tirade to rinse you off with a bucketful of water- cold water. 

"You might remember that I've been by your side for all these years. Do you think it a coincidence that your father so willingly indulged your hobbies. He didn't mind your skipping balls and feasts in favor of books and tutors because it was making you a better ruler. What was all that knowledge for if not a situation like the one we find ourselves in?"

This question is proceeded by a rough toweling.

"Fastalan may have lost its king, but not its princess and heir. Holding things together until your father returns simply isn't good enough, you have to start acting like a queen now or all might be lost. You're ready for this Rox, I believe in you!"

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Oh Tata, there's never time for self pity when you're around. Reinvigorated and smiling inwardly I rose from the water and stepped over the lip of the tub. "Alright then, if that's how you feel then there's no time to waste! Servant! Fetch me and Sir Tara the Shatranj board! If I am to be King in my fathers stead then I will need to act the part, even in my free time."

Snatching the towel from Tara's hands I hurriedly dried myself and made my way to the bed, hopping atop it and wrapping myself in the towel. "Come, come now Sir Tara, let us unwind, have some fun like we did when we were lads and talk of the future!"

(Just for clarification, Rox is addressing Tara as both "Servant" and "Sir Tara")

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
(Rox is a total nerd, lol)

If Tara has any objection to your choice of leisure activity, she certainly doesn't show it. To the contrary, she gives you an eager smile, glad to see you getting back to your old self. Existential crisis and dark conspiracies certainly needed addressing, but your mind often best addresses problems while distracted with a seemingly unrelated puzzle.

"Now I know you haven't had time to play lately aside from those few games with Malius, and we bot know he isn't half the player you are," Tara says while bringing the board over. "But I have been sneaking in some practice. Maybe I'll beat you with only a rook handicap this time!"

The pieces of your respective armies are arrayed in short order. Evidently Tara has had more than a little practice as she exudes confidence.

"Stakes?" she asks, innocently batting her eyelashes.

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
"Hmmmm...." I mused aloud, honestly struggling to find something worth wagering at first, "I am unsure, Sir Tara, of what a just wager might be. Money is too crass for a wager between friends and my lands and titles are not mine to gamble away... Perhaps a wish? The victor may make any request of his vanquished foe, now or later, but only once. What say you?"

reaching for the nearest pawn I nudged it forward. "But let us play while we gab... The opening moves may be decisive, but we are both shrewd strategists and I doubt we will recognize the victor as myself until much later." I punctuated the last bit with a self-assured smile of my own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Before she makes her move, Tara plucks your king's side rook from the board and waggles it in front of you.

"I'm not so confident to accept your wager without evening the playing field a bit. One rook handicap to me, and the winner gets one request of the loser."

The game progresses briskly while you and Tara chat, sometimes waxing nostalgically of childhood memories, other times addressing the pressing needs of the kingdom. It's more fun than you have had in a long time, and oddly therapeutic. Your mind begins to settle and focus, targeting lines of play on the board as well as on the grander stage of Fastalan's political scene. Lu'rak, the court nobles, the guilds- these were all game pieces at your disposal. Where once you felt helpless, here sitting with your friend, you felt the thrill of power.

The time comes to spring your trap. The tangle of checks and counter-maneuvers is ripe for you to start eliminating Tara's board. Your friend fought valiantly, but the game is all but over in your eyes. Do you secure victory and claim your prize, or allow tara the win and find out what her request is?

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
As my chance to corner Tara comes, I spend several turns delaying any decision but eventually let it pass me by. Make it as close as possible, but let her win... I wanted to win but Tara had proposed we bet on the outcome and accepted so readily, I just had to know what she would ask of me.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Tara hesitantly places the last piece, securing her victory. She blinks several times and frowns as if she didn't believe the state of the board.

"I-I won? Wow Rox, I know I took your rook, but you really must be out of practice to lose to lowly commoner." She smiles deviously and moves the board off to the side. "I suppose this is where I demand the key to the palace treasury or some lavish penthouse in the gardens district. Or..."

There's no other word for it. Tara pounces on you, rolling on the bed with a fit of giggles until you both are ensnared in a tangle of arms and legs. The few moments of rough housing die down with a tender kiss on the lips.

"We could settle this the way we used to," your closest friend murmurs against your forehead. "I know it's not proper but... I miss being close to you, Rox. I thought being just your maid was enough but I can't help but remember those times in your study. Or the gardens. You were so curious about all those things you read in your books..."

Her grip on you isn't restricting, but from the flush in her cheeks and the way her hand hesitantly creeps across your waist, you know Tara is being completely earnest. Maybe those forbidden trists weren't just the experiments of two hormonal teenagers.

TheAnnoyingNoob

Sep 6, 2015
Laying on my back and staring up at Tara, I shifted uncomfortably in her grasp. Not because I was intimidated, or afraid or even because I didn't share Tara's feelings but because I didn't quite know how to process what had just happened. "Tata, how long have you felt this way for me? Gods, if you'd only told me sooner!"

Reaching for her, I slowly eased her servants dress from her shoulders, biting my lip nervously at the same time, "Do you really remember what things were like back then? All of it?" If I was honest with myself, it was more than a little embarrassing to look back on what I had concluded to be the naive fumblings of an overeager princess, but if Tata still remembered that time as fondly as I had...

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Tara startles at your touch, as if surprised that you were willing to reciprocate her affections. But then she shifts herself, allowing you to peel away the top of her dress, revealing the swell of her pert breasts.

"I-I don't know- I mean, I do remember. And I enjoyed it but... I couldn't help wondering what it meant. Someone like you, giving their attention to someone like me. I thought it was better to just leave it as it was and not read into it. But... Well, I am fond of you Rox."

Her smile is sweet and reasurring, easily as revealing as Tara's own admission. There is a moment of hesitation before your hand is grasped gently and pulled against your maid's chest.

"I want to be a comfort to you... In every way that I can."