Pactholder (For Emerald_Pheonix)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"It is a good napping spot, I'll give you that but- H-hey! Where are you-"

You hear the accompanying bell jingle to Link's agitation. True to form, the panther's pride doesn't allow him to chase after you.

"F-fine! Be like that! And I even had something great to tell you, but now you'll never know!"

You here him angrily stalk off in the opposite direction before the frantic padding of his return.

"And don't go telling everyone that I came here hoping to see you, because I was totally here first!" He hollers at your back. "Now I'm leaving! For real this time! Not that I care if you care!"

His bluster becomes muffled and distant as you slowly walk away from the monument.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I pause, waiting for the inevitable shout of "YOU STUPID BAKA!!!" to follow, a wide grin on my face. I honestly missed the times where I could rile him up. It was always hilarious.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The exclamation doesn't come as Link has fled the scene, although it would have certainly been in character. As hard as the panther tries to maintain his bad boy, too-cool-for-you image, his desperate craving for attention is obvious in these moments when you play hard to get. You do wonder what he meant by what he meant by "something great", but it was probably nothing. Besides, Link would be sure to show up eventually at the dojo or maybe the local market- completely by coincidence of course.

The Academy bell rings in the distance. You could take a leisurely pace and still be back in time for your first class. Of course if you had some other errand, they could start warm-ups without you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, turning and continuing my wandering of the cemetery for a little bit. After 10 minutes, I turn and start heading back, humming softly as I go, waving to anyone who waves or smiles at me, psyching myself up for the lessons ahead of me.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
As the early hours of the morning slip by, your neighborhood begins to come to life. Shop owners are opening for the day's business and the streets begin to fill with people heading to their places of work.

You arrive at the dojo just before foot traffic becomes overly congested and set up for the first class of the day: youth martial arts. A surprising amount of your business comes from teaching kids these days. Once word got around that you had a way with keeping rambunctious children in line, parents kept filling up your sign up sheets. The money wasn't great, but it paid the bills, and some of the little guys and gals show real talent. With luck, you might be able to nurture a new generation of worthy practitioners- with full time jobs and the income to pay for a gym membership of course!

Today is also the day your "regulars" come in for advanced practice. These hard core fighters come to your establishment for no-nonsense regimens that push the limits of their martial abilities. As soon as the sun goes down, day care is over and your establishment will be filled to the brim with hard bodies looking to exploit the knowledge one of the few academy drop-outs in the city

You look up from positioning a practice dummy just as the first few moms and dads drop off their offspring. You soon have an entire class lined up against the wall waiting for instructions.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I nod at the parents, accepting their payment before taking my position in front of the students, having changed into my gi.

"Alright, change into your gi's, then start with the usual workout. We will be working on our belt routines. Whites, yellows and oranges, you're with me. The rest of you, practice at your own pace."

I order before striding over to the left of the room, waiting for the designated students to gather in front of me. When they do, I run them through the required techniques and movements, being stern, and offering constructive criticism.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
As always, it's hard to give the newbies instructions without causing them to flinch or- in some extreme cases- outright cry. While most people in the community regard you as a friendly, dependable, gentle giant, all the kids see is a massive mountain of scaly muscle. It takes a bit of coaxing for them to recognize you as their teacher, but being fair with criticism and always keeping your cool has won you the admiration of the advanced students.

Nearly everyone who as earned a green belt has stuck around for the long haul, covetous pursuing the first braided knot of their own black belt first degree (I'll let you decide what level of master you are). The advanced class work hard, patiently awaiting for when you'll be able to give them some attention after settling in the new kids.

Today is a little more eventful than usual. The entire place erupts in discord when during a puch-kick-punch drill one of your orange belts plops to the ground wailing. The rest of the kids, long since having forgotten their fear of you, swarm your legs, hiding behind you... Leaving one crying tiger with a fat lip and one sullen, unapologetic sharkgirl staring up at you defiantly.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh and shake my head before looking over at one of the brown belts.

"Damien, can you please help these guys through their movements while I deal with this?"

I ask before striding over to the two.

"I will deal with you later."

I growl softly at the sharkgirl before helping the tiger stand, helping him over to a nearby bench and examining the damage, all the while saying soothing words and stroking his fur in an attempt to get him to calm down.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
It takes some doing, but you manage to calm the tiger. He's not hurt- not really. You've seen much worse hits on the sparring, but the fact remains that this is a childrens' class and while accidents are to be expected, it is well known that unchecked violence is expressively forbidden... But you have a hard time swallowing Fenly's story that "she just hit me for no reason!".

Sandra sulks cross-legged in the corner. The rest of the class gives her wide berth as they resume drills. Unlike the rest of her fellows, the shark girl doesn't wear the carefully-pressed gi, garbed instead in a ratty tee-shirt and sweats. Only having known her for a few weeks-worth of classes, you never considered her a bad apple, but her tough attitude always hinted at a hard upbringing. Given that she paid her fee in person with a collection of change and crumpled bills and never having met her parents, you assumed that she paid for attendance with her own money.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, feeling a headache coming on.

"Fenly, stay here please. When you feel up to it, go over to the rest and continue your training, okay?"

I say, giving him a quick pat on the head before striding over to Sandra.

"Now, don't think I'll snap at you. I am rather disappointed, but that might change if you tell me the truth."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The conversation starts as you would expect trying to coax a sullen child to explain their actions and Sandra was tight-lipped to being with. Not content with her "I didn't do nothing wrong", you coax and prod until you get to the heart of the issue.

Eventually, Sandra simply says that none of the other kids like her and aren't shy about poking fun at her ragged appearance and thick street speech. While this has never happened to your knowledge during class, it's not hard to imagine the waifish shark girl being picked on.  Living in the lower quarter was never a cakewalk, some certainly had it easier than others... And some couldn't resist putting down others in an attempt to elevate their own standing.

"He kep sayin' I was doin' it wrong," Sandra says, speaking of the drill she and Fenly were practicing, "But I was so, and I showed him! I wouldn't have hit him neither, if the scaredy cat hadn't flinched!"

The shark girl bring her hands up for emphasis and executes a near-perfect guard break followed by an uppercut... Something you certainly didn't teach beginners, but come to think of it, it was in last week's advanced class review. Sandra likely had gotten bored with the simple punch-and-kick fundamentals and decided to observe what the higher belts were up to across the room. 

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
Impressed, I quirk a brow, listening intently.

"I see... Well, I do not have proof of what happened..."

An idea suddenly popped into my head, and I gave a friendly grin.

"Come with me, I have an idea."

I lead her into the kitchen, walking over to a cupboard and opening it before pulling out a small recorder, turning and handing it to the young shark.

"Keep this in your pocket. It'll record what the other kids say. Then I will have proof and will react accordingly."

I give Sandra a wink and pat her head.

"Now, when you go back out there, I want you to do 20 sit ups and 30 star jumps, alright? Then you may resume practices."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Sandra accepts the device with a dubious look, giving the record button a few experimental clicks before nodding and slipping it in her pocket. As she reenters the dojo, several of the other students give her leery looks and stay clear. Kids were far cleverer than most people gave them credit, but hopefully your scheme would pay off. If Sandra was indeed telling the truth, it probably wouldn't take long.

The class progresses in a much less eventful fashion. None of the beginners are willing to pair with Sandra for drills and partner patterns, but this turns out to a unexpected blessing as the older kids are less concerned with cliques and keep focused on their training. Sandra, for her part, blossoms under the constant pressure of performing to the standards of someone far more experienced. When she delivers a roundhouse that causes Damien to shake a stinging paw, the young brown belt gives a rueful smile and nods approvingly, prompting the shark girl to flash a rare smile.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh in content, feeling a little proud of the young shark. I then go around, correcting mistakes and giving tips. Soon enough, it's time for the younger students to go home, and I call everyone over, settling onto my knees as they do the same.

"Everyone here has made a lot of progress today, and I am glad to say I look forward to the upcoming grading. Belts green and above, and Sandra, please see me after."

With that, everyone bows before the doors open, signalling the arrival of parents.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The beginners animatedly excitedly as they pull on their shoes. The prospect of advancing a belt level always got them excited. Most of them should do fairly well during the impending examination- come to think of it, it was high time you held an evaluation for your some of your advanced adult students. Rankings didn't mean as much to the truly elite martial artists, but it did give the dojo a certain amount of prestige.

Your upper-belts remain seated in front of you. Sandra fidgets, clearly nervous and excited to have been included in a meeting with the older kids.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
"Now, we have a rarity with us today. Now, those of you who have practiced with Sandra, what are your views of her? Not her actual self, but how she practices and goes through the maneuvers."

I ask, slightly curious but knowing the answer.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Damien raises his paw.

"She's really good."

The others nod in agreement, and Sandra flushes as the young husky continues earnestly.

"Honestly a lot better than I was when I started. I'm curious where you picked it up, there's no way you just picked up technique like that."

High praise indeed, Damien is easily the best of your younglings. You would have put him in your adult class a long time ago if he wasn't such a good influence on the other students.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I nod, smiling.

"Well, it is obvious she was watching the higher grades, correct? And do not worry, here, we try and make sure you learn at a pace your comfortable with. If you wish to try more difficult techniques, feel free to speak up."

He tells the young shark before facing the rest of them.

"Now, what do you all say to her skipping a belt?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
This proposal is greeted with a far bit of enthusiasm- mostly by the oldest kids. You recognize a little bit of envy in the faces of your green belts, though. It's hard to blame them, Sandra is very young to attain an orange belt so fast and- likely more to the point- that's only one level below their own ranking.

Taking this all in, you almost miss Sandra's low murmur. When you ask her to repeat it, she flushes even brighter, but this time in embarrassment.

"...I-I can't pay the exam fee. Isn't it alright if I stay a white belt? I can just learn the stuff the orange belts do, can't I?"

An awkward silence reigns for a few moments. Going up into the color belts meant registering with the city's martial arts association- and a small fee. But if Sandra couldn't even afford a gi, it wasn't surprising she felt some trepidation in laying out the cash for a dyed piece of cloth.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I frown, then sigh softly.

"Right... Forgive me, I forgot about your predicament..."

I rub my chin, trying to think of a way to make this work.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Sandra looks away, clearly not comfortable at all with the situation. Damien looks like he's about to put a paw on her shoulder, but seeing her reaction, quickly retracts.

You weren't exactly flush with money yourself, but the admission fee, while enormous for a twelve year old, wouldn't be a problem to cough up. But even if you felt so generous, you doubted Sandra would be eager for a hand out.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I suddenly come up with an idea, smiling a little.

"Alright, how about this. I'll pay for the official grading, but you work here for the money, so you earn it. How does that sound?"

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Sandra nods shyly in agreement. Soon after, you dismiss the rest of the kids and prepare for a full days worth of classes. You would have some breaks in between if you have some errands or want to meet a friend. Otherwise, it would be later in the day when your advanced class started- and a whole lot of fun along with it.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, wiping my brow from all the classes. This would be the last one of the day, and then I could just do whatever until it was time to retire. I quickly down a large glass of water and wipe my lips before slipping my gi on again, tying my belt before waiting patiently for the next class.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Rax arrives with Terric, a massive rhino who was one of the few people who outclassed you in height and weight. In competition, he makes use of his bulky bodybuilder's physique in grappling maneuvers. He probably would be one of the top judo practitioners in the country- if he spent a little less time in the gym and more on the mat. In spite of Rax's size complex the two have struck up a rather odd friendship.

"Hey Kuzuchi," The rhino rumbles, "Sorry for being so early. I was hoping you could spot me since shrimpy here isn't up to the task."

Raz rolls his eyes and does a neat backflip, flicking Terric's leathery ear with a foot claw.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I end up laughing at that, rubbing tears from my eyes.

"Actually, I got a text from Jekkal, he'll be here in a few minutes."

Jekkel was a small, chubby brown bear who somehow had a lot of strength for his size, and was able to take on Terric easily.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Terric cracks an eager grin, always up for a sparring match with his rival.

"Great, I'll be able to do my sets at full weight then! Wouldn't want a repeat of last time... Again, sorry about the floor."

He lumbers over to your barbell and begins stacking on the full range of your set  of mismatched weights- easily one-and-half your max. You'd have to put your foot down if he started lifting without Jekkal present. Even if he did pay for the damages, it was hard to hold class with two gaping holes in your floor!

Rax rolls his eyes at the display of machoism and taps you elbow.

"Hey, did you hear Kuzuchi? Something's supposed to be going down at the academy in the next few days. We just got a shipment at the docks, this tiny package with two dozen guards on it. The headmaster picked it up himself with three of the instructors!... I know it sounds crazy, but people are saying they found a new deck!"

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
"A new deck? Was there anything else? A special card?"

While I didn't have a deck of my own, it didn't mean I couldn't be curious. This could be really serious after all.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The polecat shrugs.

"Dunno, if its an Unknown, nobody's gonna have a clue what's inside... I mean, it's just from the grapevine, but what else could it be? One more deck means a little better chance that I could bound to one of them... And maybe... Well maybe they'd give you a second chance. Everyone says you were the best cadet in generations... It just doesn't seem fair."

You think back to your conversation with Link and his taunt of withholding something from you... Maybe the panther actually did know something you didn't.

A series of grunts signals the arrival of Jekkel, who has braced himself near Terric as he starts the first of his reps.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I look to the side, a sadness in my eyes as I think about the possibility... Returning to the academy... being with all my friends again...

"No."

I shake my head, wiping the melancholy from my features.

"I lost that rite fair and square. There is no point in trying again."

I look at Rax with a slight glare.

"Warm ups, now."

I order briskly before walking over to one of the punching bags, focusing my anger and riding it as I begin abusing the tough leather bag.