Pactholder (For Emerald_Pheonix)

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
A thumping noise from downstairs jerks you awake, causing you to hit your forehead on the low ceiling of the bed nook you currently occupy. Pain lances through you, causing your eyes to water. It was always perplexing that this and other similar toe-stubs and head-knocks were so irksome when you'd taken much heavier blows on the sparring mat and kept fighting without so much as a flinch. Yet, irksome it was if not wholly unfamiliar. A big dragon such as yourself couldn't expect to live in a tiny one bedroom - half bath without running into something now and again.

You lay in the sheets for a moment, the hot summer air plastering the fabric to your scaly hide. The thumping below quickens to a blistering rhythm that purrs through the floorboards then. For the hundredth time, you regret not padding the floor between your living quarters and the dojo.

To be fair, you hadn't expected to deal with noise from downstairs when building your humble home and business. After all, who would be practicing without the sole instructor and owner present? If you could afford to offer night classes with assistant teachers, it would mean that you'd finally be able to move out of the dinky efficiency which had now been your home these past two years.

Well you are wide awake now. Between the racket from downstairs and your less-than-ideal wakeup call, you know from experience that there's no chance of getting a few more minutes of luxurious sleep. You glance at the clock. 5:34 AM. Several hours before your first class starts. You have plenty of time for a leisurely if unquiet morning.

Hopping out of bed you glance at yourself in the mirror. Something causes you to pause and give yourself a good look...

Last edited by a moderator:

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, rubbing my head before I look into the mirror, pausing as I study my features. As if I've been hit with amnesia and forgotten what I looked like, I absorb every detail: My jade-green scales, my apple-red hair and my perfectly toned body. Blushing as I realise I was practically drooling over myself, I shake my head and stumble to my drawers, pulling out some brown leggings and a simple white tank top. Slipping them on, I look at myself in the mirror once more, before closing the drawer and leaving the room.

Once outside, I stretch and yawn, unintentionally flexing my biceps before I rub the sleep out of my eyes, blinking as I look ahead into the dojo, wondering just who was there.

7eb535405f22301ab37bebea5616d8c6.jpg

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You descend the stairs from the box-like loft that contains your apartments and take a look at your business.

Dust drifts through the beams of sunlight that stream through the open doors and high windows. The bamboo mats have been freshly swept and various articles of training equipment and weaponry -used, but well cared for- lines the far wall. In the corner is a large selection of weights that you begged, borrowed, and thrifted for. The wrack still holds the massive load you used for reps last night. A dragon had to stay in shape somehow, and martial arts had the tendency to shed mass rather than build it.

The thumping resumes and your eyes are drawn to the punching bag. The abused sack of padding, affectionately referred to as Ernie, has certainly seen better days- frequent, loving use has demanded numerous stitches and patches. Although you hosted several classes for youngsters, your reputation as a Pactholder Academy dropout mostly attracted a clientele of hard-core fighters and aspiring cardcasters. The end result was a near-constant turnover of equipment... One of these days you needed to toughen up and raise your rates.

The lithe fighter currently using the bag is a blur of fine-tuned rage. It was just when you opened the dojo when Rax all-but demanded you teach him. That was nearly two years ago, and you've got to admit, the polecat has come a long way.

Sinewy muscles, glistening with sweat, strain in perfect concert as the diminutive fighter bobs and weaves around the mats, limbs lashing out with a blazing speed and precision that you've yet to see matched. Periodically, Rax will spin to use his tails, and powerful legs in stunning displays of flexibility and acrobatics. He is undoubtedly the most dedicated of your students, and if he could get over his size-complex, would likely be one of the best.

Something clearly is bothering the polecat, as he doesn't seem to notice your presence and simply beats on poor "Ernie" all the harder.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I watch for a while, then sigh before walking over. Waiting for the right moment, I thrust my arm out and catch Rax's fist just before it slams into Ernie, delaying the destruction of the punching bag.

"Perhaps you would like to 'talk' about what is bothering you, rather than destroy my equipment without mercy?"

I ask with a quirked brow, a small frown tugging at my lips.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Your palm stings a little as you steal the momentum from Rax's punch. The 'cat reflexively vaults off your arm and aims a kick for your head, very nearly hitting you before he realizes his mistake and pulls his leg back... Putting him off balance. You barely manage to catch ball of pint-sized fury before he cracks his silly head on the ground.

Rax blinks in confusion.

"S-sorry Kuzuchi, you know how I get when I'm getting into it."

Either his little stunt caused a bout of amnesia, or he's trying to avoid your question. You repeat yourself, and he immediately looks away.

"Nothing Teach. I just thought I'd get some morning practice in before I had to put in a shift at the docks."

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
Having none of it, I stand him up and whack him on the back of the head.

"You know me, Rax. I can easily tell the truth from a lie."

I say seriously, before placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Now, tell me what is wrong."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Strictly speaking, anyone could tell when Rax was lying. The muscly little guy wears his emotions on his sleeve.

He sighs, giving Ernie a half-hearted punch.

"I failed to place in the Lower City invitational. That's three in a row... If my points don't climb soon..."

Rax is barely high enough in the ranking to qualify for Pactholder Academy, where the strongest warriors and brightest minds learn to become cardcasters. At one point in your life, it was your dream attain such power and defend the city against the inter-dimensional invaders known as the Others... Of course that life was far behind you. It has been six years since you failed your final Binding and was rejected by all the Academy's decks.

Rax sees your face and looks down at his paws.

"Sorry. I know that's a sore spot for you."

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, then ruffle his hair.

"All I can say is, don't up. Have you properly studied your cards? Seeing what could be good to use with what?"

I ask, giving a faint smile.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Rax keeps his gaze downcast a bashfully kicks at a loose piece of matting.

"A-actually I did pretty well on the card practicum, and I won my best of three... I failed out of the martial test in the first round."

Seeing your face he hurriedly explains.

"T-the guys was huge, Kuzuchi! And the bastard knew it too. I should have kept out of his reach and avoided the grapple, but... He was just so smug, I thought I'd take him down a peg..."

Rax's refusal to play to his strengths of speed and agility in favor of the brute force he so craved had gotten him into trouble more than once. The polecat couldn't resist being baited by larger combatants, and when he closed in, he didn't have the power to escape a larger foe's grapple.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, placing a hand to my temple.

"Rax..."

I look at the polecat, then open my maw.

"Try this: Whenever your fighting someone bigger, just take a moment to relax and breathe. Even if it's in the middle of the fight, just keep your distance. Focus on your opponent, but breathe deeply as well."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Easy for you to say," He mutters rebelliously, "You're freakin' huge."

He backtracks after whatever discipline you decide to administer.

"Sorry... But I wish I could be different, you know? Since I started here, I feel like I've been learning how to fight in spite of my size, like I have to work ten times harder to make up for it. I'm not saying you're a bad teacher, you're the best I've ever had! I know I should keep distance and choose my blows carefully, but when I'm put against someone who has a body that gives him a natural advantage... I just sort of lose it."

Rax is so worked up after his little tirade that he's panting harder than after he finished his workout. So much for trying to hammer a lesson on breathing into his thick skull. The polecat had talent far beyond most fighters, but he was so wrapped up in this complex, it was hard to make him see it.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I frown, then sigh once more before ruffling his hair.

"You haven't been practicing your meditation, have you?"

I ask, already knowing the answer, but wanting to hear it from Rax so I could try something.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"O-of course I have!" he protests and then quickly shrivels under your no-nonsense stare.

"Okay so maybe I pull out my phone during the session once in awhile... It's just so boring. I wouldn't mind doing extra combo drills or even stretching, but just sitting there... For an hour? Come on, Sensei, even you've got to admit that's a snooze."

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I whack the back of his head again.

"Do not think of any practice as boring. Meditation is actually a very refreshing and calming technique."

I sigh, placing my hand on my face and shaking my head.

"Perhaps we can do this another way. Instead of clearing your mind, perhaps focus on something that makes you feel positive."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
"Ow," says Raxm rubbing the back of his head. "Positive? How is that going to help anything? We're talking about what I'm bad at, remember?"

Not eager to be on the receiving end of yet another smack, he jumps back.

"Alright, alright, I've thought of something. Now what?"

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
"Now just get into a comfortable position and focus on that image."

He says, his voice now a bit more gentle as he leads Rax to a chair.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Rax exhales slowly as you sit him down. You can feel the tension start to leave his shoulders as he tries to maintain his visualization.

"Alright... Now what?"

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
"Just relax, focus on the image, don't think about anything else."

I instruct, gingerly adjusting Rax's position so he's completely comfortable, helping with the meditation.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
The polecat straightens his spine, and exhales again. This time, he doesn't ask for further instruction, simply sinking deeper into the postures and closing his eyes...

Your hand on his sweaty back can feel a slowing heartbeat. Rax's breathing becomes more measured and steady.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I smile, then slowly leave as quietly as I can, walking into another room to go and make some coffee. I'm not really a morning person after all. When I do come back, I lean against the doorway, watching him as I sip from my mug.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Conscious or not, Rax has assumed a posture quite similar to what they taught you back at the academy. His tail curls lightly, resting against the small of his back and his arms lay loosely in his lap palms up. It gives you some satisfaction to see the normally rambunctious polecat sit quietly and simply breath... In... and Out...

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I give a silent chuckle, feeling a little more relaxed myself. I give Rax a few more minutes, then walk over and gingerly grasp his shoulder, shaking it a little bit so I could slowly bring him out of his relaxed state.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Rax surprises you by flushing a little when you nudge him out of his meditation.

"Thanks," he murmurs, rubbing a paw through his spikey fur, "I've never done it like that before..."

The polecat gets up and looks at the ceiling awkwardly, shuffling his paws.

"W-well I'm going to be late for my shift if I keep hanging around here, so erm... I'd better get going, see ya Kuzuchi!"

Like a streak of furry lightning, he's out the door before you can do much of anything. So much for getting him to slow down a little... Still you feel like you managed to teach Rax something useful, a good start to the morning. Speaking of which, with Rax out of your hair, you now had some time to yourself before the first kids' class started.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I chuckle and sigh, finishing my coffee before I put it in the sink, walking over to one of the dummies and practicing a few techniques. Then, deciding I needed a bit of fresh air, I quickly write a note explaining that I had gone out before tossing a jacket on over my tank top, striding out the door and hanging the note up on it before continuing.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You slip out of your home and workplace and into the street.

It's still early, but there are plenty of signs of the city of Gostein coming to life. Trucks and trolleys purr in the streets and alleys, delivering supplies to the local businesses before the morning rush starts. Across from your home, the local bathhouse churns out a blanket of steam into the streets. Sizzling aromas play enticingly around your nostrils as one of your favorite food carts prepares breakfast for those in too much of a hurry to make breakfast. You effortlessly weave amongst the bustle of people and turn a corner to a more quiet residential street.

Walking uphill amongst the townhouses gives you a clear view of the temple in the distance. The archaic structure is a sharp contrast to the modern sprawl surround it, with stone parapets and the looming silhouettes of gargoyles. You spent years training within its walls, a dream come true for countless aspiring pactholders. It was where Rax would go if he could get his act together in the next few local tournaments...

Not that that concerned you any longer. Your dream of standing on the Wall bordering the Otherlands has long since passed you up. Other brave warriors would stand against the Others and rogue pactholders. You are a simple business owner with a set schedule and overhead to pay.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I sigh, shrugging my shoulders before just wandering through the streets, not really paying attention to my surroundings. Surprisingly, I don't bump into anyone, but without knowing it, I was headed to the town cemetery, just walking along with my hands in my pockets.

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
You pass through the ancient stone archway that marks the beginning of the Hallowed grounds. Here the living pay their respects to the dead.

Walking among its winding paths and steps is a quieting experience. Private burial sites were impractical with real estate so pricey within city limits, so if anyone passed away, they likely ended up here. Friends, family, mentors... It's not unlikely that someone you knew was put to rest here.

Standing vigil over the mossy rows of shrines is a gleaming monolith of granite. Its polished surface is neatly inscribed with the names of those who died after the gate to the Otherlands opened up and the Pactwars raged. There are too many names to count, and people still take the time to sweep its base and leave cut flowers. A few scattered blossoms have wilted in the summer heat.

You have a few quiet moments to yourself before you sense movement behind you. You turn and see a shadowy figure drop from a nearby tree branch and slowly approach. Instantly you recognize your old classmate, Link. The sleek panther still walks with the cocksure grace you remember, but he seems to have acquired a few more golden tattoos, striking a sharp, spikey contrast against his ebony fur. The bell hanging from the choker on his neck jingles softly, although you know from experience that it doesn't make a sound unless its owner lets it.

"You still come here," he speaks in that smooth purr that was your constant companion back at the academy. Link's arrogance- however well founded- didn't make him many friends, but he always seemed to take a special interest in you, constantly claiming you as a partner for sparring or academic projects.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
"And? Do you have a problem with that?" I ask the panther, facing him and folding my arms across my chest, my tail flicking in slight annoyance. I wanted some time to myself, so I could just reflect and relax.

"Why do you keep following me anyway? I thought I told you not to bother with me since I left the academy."

Xatarias

Aug 27, 2015
Link twitches an ear, unflappable as always. Ever the smooth customer, he glides over to you neatly scooping up a fallen bouquet and replacing it on the monument.

"It's not so big a city that you can't expect to see me once in awhile, Kuzuchi... Really now, is it so terrible to catch up with your old classmate?"

Through some sleight of hand, Link magics a blossom behind your ear, letting out a throaty chuckle when you inevitably find it.

Emerald_Pheonix

Aug 28, 2015
QLD
I growl softly and stick the blossom back into the bouquet before giving a soft glare.

"As much as it's nice to see you, I just wanted some time alone. Main reason why I come out here anyway, along with paying respect."

I say before turning, placing my hands behind my head and walking away, hoping that Link wouldn't follow.