Online adult battle card game(Actual title in progress)

reviin

Oct 12, 2015
So I have seen my fare share of adult "rpg" battle card games out there and personally found them lacking in a lot of areas. So me and a programmer buddy of mine are working on planning out one of our own.  He already has a pay system and he believes that together we can put together what I'm hoping to be a rather ambitious, and functional story quest that will have multiple story paths that so that everyone can kind of get their own experience. On a small scale I don't want to promise there will be a giant difference. But I do at least plan for their two be at least three different versions of the main story line with various different choices along the way. If I get my way and can swing the support I intend for their to be a customize-able avatar for the players. As well as the option to for straight gay and bi sexual encounters. The game will be based within a fantasy/ scifi real. Where technology is powered by magic. And unless my programmer thinks he can swing multiple story origins......Which frankly I may just go with one origin anyways since I don't want to over reach so to speak. The players will likely start off as a soldier who after a near death experience is visited by a god or goddess depending on which main story branch you choose. And have the power of"The king" (placeholder name most likely till a better name is thought up.) Who is destined to build up a harem of loyal companions to aid them along their way to  building their own kingdom.(don't want to say too much more since a lot of it is still a work in progress. And the origin may be altered a bit to hopefully be more unique....Or at least more interesting hahahaha) 

We also intend to have not do the whole one picture is the entire sex scene deal that a lot of adult battle card games. Sex scenes will also be unlocked through a affection system that will likely involve an affection bar that that is increased during certain character quests, gifts. Buddy can put together....and any future programmers that we work with. As we are both avid battle card game players who  know the frustration of how those that put out such games tend to be greedy. We are hoping to put out a superior or at least more ambitious/fun and affordable game out for people to enjoy. 

Programmers and writers are also welcome should they like to get in on working with us. Feel free to pm me any questions you may have,

Ohhhh and one more thing if any of you guys know of some decent places to find artists that would be willing to help out a bit I'd really appreciate it if you share the info or at least point some artists my way, or me their way. We need some decent artists so we can start making progress with the demo or the advertisement video. Personally in an ideal world I'd like to get the demo or what have you setup so that it could be put up on patreon. To draw in supporters so that we could afford to actually hire people from the start. But since is not I'd like to at least like to begin negotiations with preferably a decent artist that has work potential supports can be directed to check out. So that if nothing else they can at least get a peak at what kind of art will be in game. And we can set up hiring the artist,or artists to work on a demo weather it be playable or video demo for us as a goal 

As the game is largely a work in progress Intend to put out updates on this thread as info about our different features becomes available.  :p  

Last edited by a moderator:

Pervacles

Apr 30, 2016
Your ideas sound interesting mate. Wait, whut? There are adult rpg battle card games? Are we talking physical cards, or virtual cards? I've seen some print your own projects, but not any sexy Hearthstones. I know you're promoting your own idea, but I'd love a pointer to whatever exists in the virtual arena if you have the time.

reviin

Oct 12, 2015
I dunno about physical card games to be honest. But I know of several adult battle card games that I guess you could say are like sexy versions of hearthstone. I have never actually played hearth stone if I am being honest.......And honestly I kind of hate to point you to them cause the site/company releasing them are run by a bunch of what I consider to be a bunch of greedy buggers. But there is a site called nutaku that has a bunch of them.

That being said by no means is my game being meant to compete with with a game such as hearthstone. We don't have that kind of funding, or manpower hahahahaha. It's just more or less in the same genre. That is to say it is an online battle card game and there will be the option to compete with other players.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
Yeah Nutaku is pretty intolerable. Some of their games have decent mechanical concepts, but they all have the same aggressive pay2win and energy system.

I'm interested in hearing more about your card game itself. Are you willing to describe at least your core concept?

reviin

Oct 12, 2015
Yeah Nutaku is pretty intolerable. Some of their games have decent mechanical concepts, but they all have the same aggressive pay2win and energy system.

I'm interested in hearing more about your card game itself. Are you willing to describe at least your core concept?

Of course I'm perfectly willing to go into further detail on the core concept. Although preferably some place where I feel like I'm having an actual conversation instead of over forum pages. Though I suppose I can answer any questions you have about the core concept here  if you would prefer to speak here. 

On a side note we intend to use cheaper prices so more people can afford to buy stuff should they wish to.  And if all goes as I hope there will be a balance that allows both paying and non paying players to win.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
If you have another means of communication you would prefer to use, feel free to PM me. I'm just asking out of curiosity as a fellow game designer who is fond of card games.  In the meantime, I'll just post some general questions.

1. What are your victory conditions, are they symmetrical or asymmetrical?
  2. What factors are you using to balance cards?
  3. What are some of the different strategies players can build their decks toward?
  4. You mentioned you haven't played Hearthstone, what games would you consider your influences?

Sheato

Dec 2, 2015
I'm rather interested too, I have played the Nutaku stuff, and I do enjoy them. However the aggressive pay2win is rather annoying.  Though, I do like the gacha stuff.. getting lucky ect ect.

stuntcock

Nov 1, 2015
Your OP needs work.

It lacks focus on the specific features or benefits that you intend to deliver.  It instead mentions a few misfeatures that you plan to avoid.  This can work if you've given the audience a well-known example to think about (e.g. "Our game will be Hearthstone but without [Pay2Win] and [unfair matchmaking] and [boring grind]").  But you haven't done so, and the resulting idea is quite vague.  I'm still not entirely sure whether the proposed game is single-player or multi-player.

The OP is also vague about the state of the project and of the team.  This is a huge red-flag for an artist, because they won't get paid until/unless your project succeeds.  They might draw all of your initial card artwork in a few weeks - and do a great job of it! - but then watch with frustration as you mismanage the Patreon campaign due to a lack of business and marketing experience.  Or perhaps it turns out that your buddy isn't actually a great programmer, and the game's netcode is weak which allows players to acquire "premium" items without actually paying for them.

Note: this isn't some far-fetched scenario.  Nutaku earns their revenue from microtransactions, and yet many of their games have suffered from serious exploits which allowed players to acquire currency, or obtain PvP victories, simply by manipulating client-side memory values.

Pretend that I'm an artist.  I'm reading through the threads on Fenoxo.com.  There are many games in development.  Why should I sign up with your team specifically?  What unique opportunities does your game present for artistic expression?  What's special about your setting that might inspire me to create awesome designs, gain fans, and grow as an artist?  Would I need to tackle everything (UI, menus, battle animations, loading/splash screens, promotional material, card art, sex scenes, etc) right away, or have you identified certain art assets as high-priority for the initial crowdfunding pitch?

Have you ever run a crowdfunding campaign before?  If not, then how do you plan to learn the crucial lessons before diving in?  Do you expect to learn as you go?

We need some decent artists so we can start making progress

No, you don't.  You need decent artists to create a professional-looking demo.

You can make plenty of progress with placeholder artwork and a rudimentary text-based UI.  You can establish your core mechanics, flesh out the storyline, plan a few card sets (or elemental blocks or whatever), establish rarity levels, decide on randomness/dice rules (if any such will be included), and release a proof-of-concept alpha build.  If you and your programmer buddy believe that your game idea is good, then you should be willing to work on it for a few weeks in order to lay down the basics.  After all -- why should an artist be willing to do unpaid work on your game if you're not willing to do so yourself?

If you refuse to proceed until a "guardian angel" artist swoops down and blesses your project with their generosity and talent, then your project will fail.  And it will deserve to fail.