Vanae Styles/Stay Fresh

Pastel Skulls

Apr 14, 2016
               I've been playing as a Kerokoran/Vanae hybrid for my whole play through, and I've loved it so far except for how hard it is to keep my Tenta hair through some events. The event I'm thinking of in particular is Sera's party where she had to change my hair to style it into pig tails. For being prehensile tendrils you'd think they'd be a lot easier to style into something. Because of this I was thinking of writing and submitting a small shop in the far end of the Mhen'gan swamps near where the Vaenae reside that acts just as a salon for tentacle hair. Maybe a tattoo parlor for Vanae markings in colors outside silver and luminous violet and some sky mother themed piercings as well since I haven't found a piercing studio at all yet.

The hairstyles I was thinking of putting in for it would basically be

• Ponytail
  • Twintails/pigtails
  • Bowl/bob
  • Sidecut/Undercut
  • Meatball head (Sailor Moon inspired)
  • Cephalopod Cousins M (Splatoon inspired)
  • Cephalopod Cousins C (Splatoon inspired)

I was also thinking of incorporating Uthra sap in some way, like maybe having the shopkeep needing some to make a tentacle hair specific hair gel to sell. It seemed like a special item when I first harvested it so I think it might be cool if someone could use it. Also possibly having her offer an upgrade to the goozooka so that it can use bags of Vanae milk, I always hate running outta the stuff in battle when I have my inventory full of bags of milk.

Before I do any of this I was gonna start with some small scenes centered around anal and optional sounding (for hypers) consentacle options for the the Tarken androids, but I was wanted to know if this would be something that would fit in Mhen'ga's enviroment.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I believe it is due to the individual tentacles are about the same size as a ponytail. (Look at Renezuo and Cheshire's art)

Pastel Skulls

Apr 14, 2016
I've seen the art, and they don't look too much thicker than the tentacles inklings have in splatoon, and there is an option to make them shorter or longer. So I don't think anything super fancy would cut it like wavy hair, but simple stuff like tying them up would be nice.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
It will be significantly harder to maintain a certain style when you hair has its own nerve endings and musculature.

Vanae also don't use piercing, mainly because they wouldn't be able to see it.

It would make zero sense for any form of alien- OR vanae-operated salon to exist that deep in the hostile jungle.

A static vanae NPC willing to catiously befriend a vanae-morph PC and provide some of the functions you want would make some sense. Not too much, sadly.

Pastel Skulls

Apr 14, 2016
It will be significantly harder to maintain a certain style when you hair has its own nerve endings and musculature.

Vanae also don't use piercing, mainly because they wouldn't be able to see it.

It would make zero sense for any form of alien- OR vanae-operated salon to exist that deep in the hostile jungle.

A static vanae NPC willing to catiously befriend a vanae-morph PC and provide some of the functions you want would make some sense. Not too much, sadly.

Ah that's right, Vanae's eyespots are only vestigial I forgot all about that since I just went with frog eyes for my PC. Yeah that makes all of this rather obsolete since they wouldn't have any need for cosmetic upkeep like hair styling or ear piercing. Oh well I guess it would be better to scrap all this, thanks I figured I must have been missing something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cog

Apr 17, 2016
I dunno, that seems an overly simplistic take on the race. Vanae eyes aren't vestigial, exactly, they're just not typically used because their hearing is so much better. Much like bats, they can still use their eyes, they just don't have a lot of need to. Claiming they don't need cosmetic upgrades because they're blind is laughable - it's not like blind humans are all a bunch of visual slobs just because they can't see themselves. In fact, I imagine piercings would be in fairly high demand, as they provide a tactile aesthetic. The only downside I see to the Vanae culture is that pierced individuals would be unlikely to succeed as huntresses. Those piercings would probably not camouflage as well.

I've actually thought the addition of a small Vanae village to the deep jungles of Mhen'ga would make a lot of sense. I expect that in order to do it properly you'd need to make it pretty darn hard to get to, and you'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops to gain access, but given some of the features listed in the codex, I think there could be some real potential there.

On the other hand, I've always considered unintended event transformations a natural and expected part of TiTS gameplay. Particularly in the case of Sera, who is taking a progressively more dominant role in your relationship, it makes sense that she would start making changes to your looks to fit her own desires.

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
I dunno, that seems an overly simplistic take on the race. Vanae eyes aren't vestigial, exactly, they're just not typically used because their hearing is so much better. Much like bats, they can still use their eyes, they just don't have a lot of need to. Claiming they don't need cosmetic upgrades because they're blind is laughable - it's not like blind humans are all a bunch of visual slobs just because they can't see themselves. In fact, I imagine piercings would be in fairly high demand, as they provide a tactile aesthetic. The only downside I see to the Vanae culture is that pierced individuals would be unlikely to succeed as huntresses. Those piercings would probably not camouflage as well.

I've actually thought the addition of a small Vanae village to the deep jungles of Mhen'ga would make a lot of sense. I expect that in order to do it properly you'd need to make it pretty darn hard to get to, and you'd need to jump through a bunch of hoops to gain access, but given some of the features listed in the codex, I think there could be some real potential there.

On the other hand, I've always considered unintended event transformations a natural and expected part of TiTS gameplay. Particularly in the case of Sera, who is taking a progressively more dominant role in your relationship, it makes sense that she would start making changes to your looks to fit her own desires.

The official word on Vanae sight from JimT (their creator) back in the day was they just see vague blobs of color. That's definitely vestigial.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Still, Cog's argument still stands when it comes to the possibility of Vanae using some form of piercing. I was too quick to dismiss an idea, despite desperately wanting more content for wonderful tree squids. As for the effect that piercing would have on their camouflage: AFAIR, Vanae don't fully cloak, but rather regulate the color of some of their bodyparts. If they can pull it off while holding a large foreign object like a spear, piercing won't hinder that ability too much.

Cog

Apr 17, 2016
The official word on Vanae sight from JimT (their creator) back in the day was they just see vague blobs of color. That's definitely vestigial.

Ah, I wasn't aware of this. It's been a while since I read their codex, but I was under the impression that (while by no means good) Vanae eyesight was still usable, if poorly. It still doesn't refute the idea that blind persons are just as capable of being interested in maintaining their appearance as sighted ones.

AFAIR, Vanae don't fully cloak, but rather regulate the color of some of their bodyparts. If they can pull it off while holding a large foreign object like a spear, piercing won't hinder that ability too much.

I remember thinking as I was writing my previous comment, "oh, but what about their spears?" IIRC, my reasoning was that reflective metal would be easier to spot than polished wood, but your point is well taken. And I agree, I want more content for tree squids, too! Does JimT still check for messages these days, or is he completely MIA?

Pastel Skulls

Apr 14, 2016
Ah, I wasn't aware of this. It's been a while since I read their codex, but I was under the impression that (while by no means good) Vanae eyesight was still usable, if poorly. It still doesn't refute the idea that blind persons are just as capable of being interested in maintaining their appearance as sighted ones.

I remember thinking as I was writing my previous comment, "oh, but what about their spears?" IIRC, my reasoning was that reflective metal would be easier to spot than polished wood, but your point is well taken. And I agree, I want more content for tree squids, too! Does JimT still check for messages these days, or is he completely MIA?

Weird I stopped getting notices that this thread was updating. It's true blind people are still capable of caring about maintaining their appearance, a whole species of blind people might be different since they aren't part of society that already cares about that otherwise. I might be biased since I just read that new english collection of Valentina, but I think any piercings they have should be sound based modifiers. Something that jangles in a way to make very specific sounds that the Vanae find pleasurable. I've already moved on from the idea of a Vanae piercing shop and just started writing a general femme shop that sells cute clothes and feminizing mods after reading this thread . Of course I'm really interested in seeing more of the Vanae and would love a primitive village and possible temple, and stuff involving the Saeri and Siel especially some tf items so I really hope JimT isn't just MIA.

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
Weird I stopped getting notices that this thread was updating. It's true blind people are still capable of caring about maintaining their appearance, a whole species of blind people might be different since they aren't part of society that already cares about that otherwise. I might be biased since I just read that new english collection of Valentina, but I think any piercings they have should be sound based modifiers. Something that jangles in a way to make very specific sounds that the Vanae find pleasurable. I've already moved on from the idea of a Vanae piercing shop and just started writing a general femme shop that sells cute clothes and feminizing mods after reading this thread . Of course I'm really interested in seeing more of the Vanae and would love a primitive village and possible temple, and stuff involving the Saeri and Siel especially some tf items so I really hope JimT isn't just MIA.

He isn't just MIA. He very publicly left with a post about how he was leaving this behind because he felt that it was having negative effects on his personal and professional life, stating unequivocally that he would not be doing any more work on expansions or finishing already started works. He also posted all his Google docs and said anyone that wanted to finish them or expand on his work could do so.

He's not coming back any time soon, if ever.

Pastel Skulls

Apr 14, 2016
He isn't just MIA. He very publicly left with a post about how he was leaving this behind because he felt that it was having negative effects on his personal and professional life, stating unequivocally that he would not be doing any more work on expansions or finishing already started works. He also posted all his Google docs and said anyone that wanted to finish them or expand on his work could do so.

He's not coming back any time soon, if ever.

I see I guess I'll have to dig through the forums and find that doc if I want Saeri and Siel tf items.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Since no one else commented on it, the Vanae markings aren't tattoos but part of their skin pigmentation.

K

Krynh

Oh, I was under the impression he'd deleted the documents. I remember in his departing post him saying he was going to. Then someone else with the creator tag saying that they had saved them all.

Last edited: