What are some attributes of your character that you feel don't get enough attention?

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015
Wings, claws, fangs, horns, eyes, tails. Any bodypart that hints at giving you a new or enhanced ability, should. Also wings need to be mentioned in scenes where you lie down, someone rubs your back, and so on, like any other body part...

If these are main immersion-breaking oversights (like laying down with wings), please post it in the bug reports with a sample of the text in question and where/how the text is located.

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Don't really need to mention "you lie down, folding your wings comfortably" every time.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Just thinking about that makes me shudder, I can never think of playing any fallout game with low int.

Fallout 1/2 with low int is the exemplar of how it should be done. Do it once, and you'll really feel what it means to be retard. Starting from F3 SPECIAL stats matter much, much less.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
You can ignore devs telling you that the PC's physicality will never give straight-up bonuses in combat all you like, it's still not going to happen.

Look, I'm new here, I don't really know who's who. Gimme a break! The topic of the thread is "what are some attributes of your character that you feel don't get enough attention", and I gave my opinion, which is, "most of em!"

That said, could you perhaps enlighten me as to why the devs are so adamantly opposed to the idea? Especially since we already have examples of these sorts of skills in the game (Vanae Milk, Fuck Sense, Fecund Figure, Cybernetic Specialization). Not all of them pertain to combat, but the point is that they're physical attributes that do something.

Don't really need to mention "you lie down, folding your wings comfortably" every time.

That's a slippery slope. By that logic, why bother mentioning what kind of legs or tongue you have? Why bother mentioning that you have two clits or multiple nipples and so on... This game is all about being extremely verbose and descriptive, painting the entire picture with words.

If these are main immersion-breaking oversights (like laying down with wings), please post it in the bug reports with a sample of the text in question and where/how the text is located.

Well... where do you draw the line? There's "I would have to do something with my wings in order to do that", and then there's "I could be doing something with my wings right now". Flapping or stretching them mid-orgasm, pressing them against the walls of confined spaces like under desks and starship bunks, hugging partners in close during group sex, that kind of thing. If you wanted to, you could go back and edit every scene in the game to be "wing-friendly", but with as much work as I'm sure that would be... well, I won't get my hopes up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Well... where do you draw the line? There's "I would have to do something with my wings in order to do that", and then there's "I could be doing something with my wings right now". Flapping or stretching them mid-orgasm, pressing them against the walls of confined spaces like under desks and starship bunks, hugging partners in close during group sex, that kind of thing. If you wanted to, you could go back and edit every scene in the game to be "wing-friendly", but with as much work as I'm sure that would be... well, I won't get my hopes up.

Also, problem of different wing types. You can't hug someone with dragonfly wings, for instance.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Fallout 1/2 with low int is the exemplar of how it should be done. Do it once, and you'll really feel what it means to be retard. Starting from F3 SPECIAL stats matter much, much less.

3 and NV made SPECIAL matter less. However 4 had SPECIAL matter a lot more with it's new PERK system.

Granted starting SPECIAL wasn't too improtant, but overall SPECIAL was a lot more important. Especially Charisma.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
3 and NV made SPECIAL matter less. However 4 had SPECIAL matter a lot more with it's new PERK system.

Granted starting SPECIAL wasn't too improtant, but overall SPECIAL was a lot more important. Especially Charisma.

Charisma? In F4? Where? There are no single case of charisma roll which matters, and barter is not really necessary.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Charisma? In F4? Where? There are no single case of charisma roll which matters, and barter is not really necessary.

Local Leader perk is one of the best perks in the game. Doubly so in the survival beta. Party Boy/Girl is also pretty useful if you play a melee character. Also Lone Wander is a fantastic perk as well. As for the SPECIAL itself, it increases the number of settlers you can have, though that did become rather irrelevant once automaton became a thing and you could just build robots to be labor.

Also I'm comparing relative usefulness in 4 to 3/NV, where Charisma was the shittiest SPECIAL in the game by far.

Jacques00

Administrator
Aug 26, 2015

I would say to use your best judgment. Of course you can't mention wings every single time an action takes place--that would be silly. But things like, "you lay on your bare back" or "he massages your back", may make due with a tiny mention to wings. It would be less complicated to use hypothetical instances and use actual text in-game, so just report it as you run into them--and I don't think there are very many. Wings, at least large, flight-capable wings, are mentioned in certain spots in combat and traveling, so it won't be unreasonable to mention them in the more casual/sex-related scenes as well. This can be said about other parts as well--large horns, tails, etc. (but these parts seem to be less prominent than wings on the character).

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Local Leader perk is one of the best perks in the game. Doubly so in the survival beta. Party Boy/Girl is also pretty useful if you play a melee character. Also Lone Wander is a fantastic perk as well. As for the SPECIAL itself, it increases the number of settlers you can have, though that did become rather irrelevant once automaton became a thing and you could just build robots to be labor.

Also I'm comparing relative usefulness in 4 to 3/NV, where Charisma was the shittiest SPECIAL in the game by far.

If you want to play sims in fallout, maybe.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
If you want to play sims in fallout, maybe.

Even if you absolutely hate the settlement system and want nothing at all to do with it, local leader is going to be a godsend in the new survival mode. Plus again, Lone Wanderer and Party Boy/Girl.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Even if you absolutely hate the settlement system and want nothing at all to do with it, local leader is going to be a godsend in the new survival mode. Plus again, Lone Wanderer and Party Boy/Girl.

Lone Wanderer is 3 CHA perk. And Party Boy/Girl... It just pointless for me.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
Lone Wanderer is 3 CHA perk. And Party Boy/Girl... It just pointless for me.

The two big points of Party Boy/Girl are the doubled effects and 3 extra luck. The luck effect is currently bugged so each type of drink grants extra luck but even if that's fixed, the doubled effects of booze are rather prominent in the best boozes available. Such as the Dirty Wastelander, which gives a whopping 6 bonus strength with the perk. 

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
That said, could you perhaps enlighten me as to why the devs are so adamantly opposed to the idea? Especially since we already have examples of these sorts of skills in the game (Vanae Milk, Fuck Sense, Fecund Figure, Cybernetic Specialization). Not all of them pertain to combat, but the point is that they're physical attributes that do something.

The problem with physical changes that reward you with special combat moves is that if those moves are any good, then players will feel they have to get them if they are optimally building their character. CoC had a real problem with this. You may not want to be a dragon, but I'm sorry chum, that breath attack is way too good not to have. In general it makes sense to either detach PC physicality from combat entirely, or if it's involved at all to make sure there's serious downsides to it so players do not feel impelled to change their bodies just to optimise their build.

Fuck Sense, for instance, requires you cripple yourself in other ways. Fecund Figure is a purely fetishistic perk for pregophiles. CS is completely hypothetical. None of them require you to have an outlandish body part to acquire. That leaves Vanae Milk, which is a prime example of what I'm talking about. I may want to make a male tease-orientated character. If I do, I'm dicking myself, because optimally I should turn myself into a blind lactating squid woman. It's an innocuous perk really, but could easily be the thin end of the wedge.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
The problem with physical changes that reward you with special combat moves is that if those moves are any good, then players will feel they have to get them if they are optimally building their character. CoC had a real problem with this. You may not want to be a dragon, but I'm sorry chum, that breath attack is way too good not to have. In general it makes sense to either detach PC physicality from combat entirely, or if it's involved at all to make sure there's serious downsides to it so players do not feel impelled to change their bodies just to optimise their build.

Fuck Sense, for instance, requires you cripple yourself in other ways. Fecund Figure is a purely fetishistic perk for pregophiles. CS is completely hypothetical. None of them require you to have an outlandish body part to acquire. That leaves Vanae Milk, which is a prime example of what I'm talking about. I may want to make a male tease-orientated character. If I do, I'm dicking myself, because optimally I should turn myself into a blind lactating squid woman. It's an innocuous perk really, but could easily be the thin end of the wedge.

Vanae Milk is actually reasonably okay with me, because it doesn't do much if any more damage than teasing.  It's an option among several options, not a buff.  I rail against Myr Venom not because I don't like the red myr but because it is an example of a perk that rewards you for a specific transformation.  It provides all your melee attacks with a permanent buff in the form of adding on free lust damage.  If you want to build your character optimally, you must have Myr Venom.  There is no reason not to go get it no matter what kind of character you are.  If it was reworked into a special attack that was basically the same as Vanae Milk, providing an alternative instead of a buff, I would have no problem with it.

Gedan

BUTTS BUTTS BUTTS
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
Vanae Milk is actually reasonably okay with me, because it doesn't do much if any more damage than teasing.  It's an option among several options, not a buff.  I rail against Myr Venom not because I don't like the red myr but because it is an example of a perk that rewards you for a specific transformation.  It provides all your melee attacks with a permanent buff in the form of adding on free lust damage.  If you want to build your character optimally, you must have Myr Venom.  There is no reason not to go get it no matter what kind of character you are.  If it was reworked into a special attack that was basically the same as Vanae Milk, providing an alternative instead of a buff, I would have no problem with it.

I feel like the problem would be somewhat lessened if every potential species for a body part or feature came with its own effects- and more to the point, there were multiple sources of the same effective boost.

If a myr-venom like ability was spread across 3 or 4 different other species- and they were stylistically possible to fit into different brackets, say, "basically human", "definitely xeno/alien", "obviously furry"- and to take it you had forego a half dozen other benefits of roughly the same viability tied to the same appearance slot.... That's a lot more complicated that just ramming in whatever Cool New Race Idea™ that has just arrived itself though.

Providing the other benefits had the same rough viability and effective strength, then there is much less space for people to say "Dragon breath is objectively the best therefore I must have dragon breath at all costs".

To me the start of the game crows about the possibilities inherent in the nanites given to the player, that they ensure Steele Jr. will always have the tools required to survive whatever environment or situation they wind up in by effectively mimicking the species present in those environments. This screams to me that it should happen and should have been happening since the very first day.

tbh I frankly find the point that people do it to minmax kind of a p. shit angle- as it is, I know it's possible to beat most fights in the game with nothing more than the equipment you start the game with. 

This is how I test and balance the fights implement these days:

• Make new character of whatever class.
  • Make it equal level to the NPCs I'm testing.
  • Slam in class perks and stats.
  • Fight NPC.

If we're talking about dungeon or boss characters, then I'll throw on some gear from various rewards from the previous planet or whatever, just to spice it up a little. The only reason you would need to minmax is so you can just fucking hold down your 1 key and win fights- in which case, just turn fucking easy mode on.

eveoflife

Aug 29, 2015

I've a question of similar effect. Will there be armor that has jet packs augmented into it? Or the Nova goo armor learning to shape shift wings?

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I feel like the problem would be somewhat lessened if every potential species for a body part or feature came with its own effects- and more to the point, there were multiple sources of the same effective boost.

If a myr-venom like ability was spread across 3 or 4 different other species- and they were stylistically possible to fit into different brackets, say, "basically human", "definitely xeno/alien", "obviously furry"- and to take it you had forego a half dozen other benefits of roughly the same viability tied to the same appearance slot.... That's a lot more complicated that just ramming in whatever Cool New Race Idea™ that has just arrived itself though.

Providing the other benefits had the same rough viability and effective strength, then there is much less space for people to say "Dragon breath is objectively the best therefore I must have dragon breath at all costs".

To me the start of the game crows about the possibilities inherent in the nanites given to the player, that they ensure Steele Jr. will always have the tools required to survive whatever environment or situation they wind up in by effectively mimicking the species present in those environments. This screams to me that it should happen and should have been happening since the very first day.

tbh I frankly find the point that people do it to minmax kind of a p. shit angle- as it is, I know it's possible to beat most fights in the game with nothing more than the equipment you start the game with. 

This is how I test and balance the fights implement these days:

• Make new character of whatever class.
  • Make it equal level to the NPCs I'm testing.
  • Slam in class perks and stats.
  • Fight NPC.

If we're talking about dungeon or boss characters, then I'll throw on some gear from various rewards from the previous planet or whatever, just to spice it up a little. The only reason you would need to minmax is so you can just fucking hold down your 1 key and win fights- in which case, just turn fucking easy mode on.

It should be noted that my beef with Myr Venom is exacerbated by how keeping it is not actually tied to your myr score at all.  You can have it while being any appearance you want.

Even as a minmaxer I don't make use of it, because I dislike it, but that doesn't change that it sets a bad precedent.  If every race had their own special feature, that would be different.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016

In addition to what Couch just said, 'make sure everyone gets something', there's no reason you have to make these special abilities particularly powerful. Also, remember that every time you use most specials in combat, you drain energy, and you could have just shot or taken a swing at the enemy instead.

You could also make the similar argument that it's unfair that your choice of class affects what abilities you have. "Aww, I really wanted to be a mercenary, but the tech specialist's ability to perpetually restore shields is sooooo good" or "aw man, this gun is so good, but it doesn't synergize with my damage boost perk because it's not kinetic damage type".

Even if the abilities were powerful... come on, man. This isn't a competitive multiplayer game where you have to min max to be better than other people. Nobody's going to be faced with the dilemma you described, especially because aside from a few cases like Dr. Lash, combat really isn't that difficult.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
In addition to what Couch just said, 'make sure everyone gets something', there's no reason you have to make these special abilities particularly powerful. Also, remember that every time you use most specials in combat, you drain energy, and you could have just shot or taken a swing at the enemy instead.

So now you're making the case for attacks that are worse than the generic alternatives. CoC had those as well. If an attack isn't a worthwhile way to use a turn and some energy... why does it exist? Fluffy alternatives based on the PC's physicality for attacks which work in exactly the same way, like what Gedan is talking about - I would have absolutely no problem with that. I would like it, in fact. Make physical combat more like lust combat, that's cool. The problem is time and effort. It's extremely easy to say "make sure everyone gets something", it's another to plot it all out, write it, balance and code it. See also your dream-wish to get wings mentioned everywhere, and Ted/Savin's response to that. There's a dozen things I'd love to do in TiTS, but will never get the time to. A system which doesn't add any functionality, sex or depth but makes combat a bit fluffier is one of them. If you want to see it, write or fund it, that is as ever the blunt last word.

Even if the abilities were powerful... come on, man. This isn't a competitive multiplayer game where you have to min max to be better than other people. Nobody's going to be faced with the dilemma you described, especially because aside from a few cases like Dr. Lash, combat really isn't that difficult.

I'd like to agree with you, I really would. But most of the other writers and dev team do not. They want TiTS to be as well-balanced as any RPG and have serious discussions every week on here about how best to accomplish that. I got something approaching a tirade for some of the things I put forward for Cerespirin. You will get short thrift putting forward OP abilities on the basis that it's just a porn game.

Trogdor

Apr 10, 2016
So now you're making the case for attacks that are worse than the generic alternatives. CoC had those as well. If an attack isn't a worthwhile way to use a turn and some energy... why does it exist?

Because this is a roleplaying game? Immersion? Obviously swiping at someone with claws isn't going to be as effective as clubbing them over the head with a hammer propelled by a rocket. The attacks don't have to be useless, and they don't have to be overpowered either. Consider the Merc starter skill, Headbutt. Kind of lame, right? Maybe if you had horns, you could increase its damage output and make it more worthwhile, but it's still going to be only situationally useful compared to spending energy on something like Rapid Fire.

I'd like to agree with you, I really would. But most of the other writers and dev team do not. They want TiTS to be as well-balanced as any RPG and have serious discussions every week on here about how best to accomplish that. I got something approaching a tirade for some of the things I put forward for Cerespirin. You will get short thrift putting forward OP abilities on the basis that it's just a porn game.

How do they plan on balancing the game around the fact that some people are walking around with a million credits that they got from defeating Dr. Lash? :p He's tough, but he's far from undefeatable, from what I understand. Isn't that kind of "OP"?

There's a dozen things I'd love to do in TiTS, but will never get the time to. A system which doesn't add any functionality, sex or depth but makes combat a bit fluffier is one of them. If you want to see it, write or fund it, that is as ever the blunt last word.

Yeah, I get it man. However, I also know that indie dev teams on projects like this often implement ideas that gain popular support amongst the community. So, no harm in talking about what I'd like to see, right? :)

Last edited by a moderator: