To what extent will crew interactions develop?

Ravelordnito

Sep 17, 2015

Magic Ted

Forum God
Aug 26, 2015
Wash your mouth out.

That's true, I was thinking NWN 2 = Obsidian/Bioware and merged the two together.

Y'know, I think it's true that having a ship that is eventually replaceable/modifiable will create some issues for writing down the line. It's a state that can be avoided by vagueness, but the more stipulations are added to your freedom as a writer, the worse your writing will probably wind up. That is a very real concern with this sort of suggestion, and one I honestly didn't consider.

I don't, however, see the lack of parties as a problem, personally, since I feel that the story in TiTs is robust enough to carry it. You mentioned that the biggest story event is fucking up Tarkus, but I think that's not quite the only thing that could lead to an interesting interaction. Becoming a Nyrean Royal while off-planet, choosing to help an interstellar smuggler rather than helping law enforcement, going to Poe A and coming back with the build and mindset of an Amazonian warrior.

All of these things have the potential for conflict and meaningful discourse to arise in game, without quite having the crew there in the moment. Just because a particular event lacks spectacle the likes of blowing up a planet, doesn't mean that it isn't worth going into. The idea that story events gain significance based on how massive they are alone is one which leads to incredible spectacle creep, and is something to watch for lest you want to write DBZ with more sci-fi.

While true, this leads to a few other problems. Poe A, for instance, leads to "wait why don't they quip whenever my PC changes, huh?!" which the mere suggestion of causes write and code team to tremble in uncontrollable rage. The other story beats mentioned could very well come up, but there is no credence for it yet and that's a case of "time and effort for a one off bit if dialog when there's more content to write!!!" sort of situation. Which gets all the worse when, hey, pretty much any crew mate - and long term, reoccurring character on the whole, could comment and quip on this sort of thing. And that's a lot to consider once you do it a few times.

Hopefully later.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
That's true, I was thinking NWN 2 = Obsidian/Bioware and merged the two together.

Bioware farmed out KOTOR 2 to Obsidian as well, to fascinating, baffling consequences.

He's right though,  Bethesda and Bioware both haven't made a half decent game in years. Both companies have been dead since oblivion / kotor2 respectively. 

As above, Bioware didn't do KOTOR 2. I would nominate DA:O and ME1 as Bioware's last great games, personally - at least from a writing perspective.

Melody

Feb 5, 2016
While true, this leads to a few other problems. Poe A, for instance, leads to "wait why don't they quip whenever my PC changes, huh?!" which the mere suggestion of causes write and code team to tremble in uncontrollable rage. The other story beats mentioned could very well come up, but there is no credence for it yet and that's a case of "time and effort for a one off bit if dialog when there's more content to write!!!" sort of situation. Which gets all the worse when, hey, pretty much any crew mate - and long term, reoccurring character on the whole, could comment and quip on this sort of thing. And that's a lot to consider once you do it a few times.

Hopefully later.

This is a way better description, I think, of why one wouldn't expect this to become too commonplace. Your earlier post just kind of got me going a bit because it seemed to imply that spectacle is the main factor for measuring the "worth" of an event. This makes a lot more sense to me from a practical standpoint given that these sorts of happenings aren't really the mission statement for TiTs. I think I can much more clearly see the flaws in putting these ideas into practice now, cool as they'd be. I still think it can be done, but I can see why not to expect anything out of it, especially with TiTs in the state it is.

And yeah, I specifically mentioned Poe A, since that changes your characters' mind and personality a good amount, but quips whenever the PC transforms for any reason would be more than a little bit of a pain in the ass, not only to code but to write as well. Adding unique quips that remain randomized enough to last through the whole game without wearing down for every transformative item currently in would be too much of a mess to even think about it. Maybe if it were in the design doc from day one, it'd be doable, but not now by far.

I wasn't meaning to imply quips in these cases, but I nonetheless see how having a bit of unique dialogue about a few transformations would make players demand a new feature that would be too painful.

Night

Aug 26, 2015
"Knights Of The Old Republic" Was a Star Wars Bioware game thats pretty damn good. A must on a gamer's bucket list. 

Ooooooh.  Yeah I know what it is, just always referred to it as "the old republic". Iv played it since beta, but haven't it a while though.

StarcraftJunkie

Aug 29, 2015
Ooooooh.  Yeah I know what it is, just always referred to it as "the old republic". Iv played it since beta, but haven't it a while though.

He's referring to the original game that predates the MMO you're talking about, Night.

There was a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, then a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, then Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO.

Night

Aug 26, 2015
He's referring to the original game that predates the MMO you're talking about, Night.

There was a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, then a Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, then Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO.

Oh.....well back to my lonely little corner again.

Alabaster Chimes

Aug 29, 2015
Oh.....well back to my lonely little corner again.

Its fine, common mistake but if you like The Old Republic then I really recommend that you play the original.

Its a damn classic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ravelordnito

Sep 17, 2015
Bioware farmed out KOTOR 2 to Obsidian as well, to fascinating, baffling consequences.

As above, Bioware didn't do KOTOR 2. I would nominate DA:O and ME1 as Bioware's last great games, personally - at least from a writing perspective.

God fucking dammit I forgot Obsidian did kotor2.

DA:O was pretty decent gameplay wise, writing wasn't anything special but a hell of a lot better than the complete garbage of DA2 and DA:I.

The mass effect series is a prime example of "how can we take this decent game with a interesting world and dick up the characters, internal consistency, and every story telling convention to create the abomination of ME2: story contrivances edition and ME3: What even is a plot?.

Back on topic: We really, REALLY need the ability to sleep with our entire Harem, in a big ass pile o' waifus, probably minus Bess so we don't give the codedragon a stroke. 

Could be annoying updating the scene for newly added waifus so the scene will probably end up being added fairly late in developmet if ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
I'd honestly settle for just being able to sleep with Anno and Syri at the same time so it's a puppy pile.

Night

Aug 26, 2015
Eventually.

Gotta sort out Syri Follower first.

I can imagine it now....

*play morning hand job scene, Anno and syri both decide to pitch in*

Anno: Oohh you made me breakfast in bed.

Syri: No way, that's mine I made him cum.

Anno: What? Get your own. 

Syri: That is mine you bitch!

*pc notices they both still have a firm grasp on his cock*

PC:.........Fuck this.

*PC rolls both of them over on all fours and give each a load up the butt*

Ethereal Dragon

Aug 28, 2015
I can imagine it now....

*play morning hand job scene, Anno and syri both decide to pitch in*

Anno: Oohh you made me breakfast in bed.

Syri: No way, that's mine I made him cum.

Anno: What? Get your own. 

Syri: That is mine you bitch!

*pc notices they both still have a firm grasp on his cock*

PC:.........Fuck this.

*PC rolls both of them over on all fours and give each a load up the butt*

lool don't forget multi-cock variant :p