Text game advice needed

BCRoxx

Nov 11, 2015
Hi guys and gals!

I've decided to start work on a little game of my own -- a text-based lifesim where the PC is transformed into a succubus, and has to do what succubi do to survive and advance in power in the world. I'm taking influence from other erotic lifesim games like Newlife and Cursed, with less overall focus on interpersonal relationships than Newlife, but the depth in day-to-day activities, fashion, and careers of Cursed. I plan to put character growth, aesthetics, and fashion on the forefront, with an emphasis of how those personal choices affect the range of job choices, and potential partners and their interests, available.

I'm a new programmer though, and started work on Twine as it's the only development engine with which I have any experience (I started work on a slave sim, kind of the opposite of Slavemaker/Jack-o-Nine-Tails)...but, I've realized Twine with its limitations may not be my best choice. So...does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try instead?

I've thought about RAGS, but I'm not sure about its internal layout, and not overly fond of its interface -- having to rclick everything, UI elements not being readily apparent, and all. Not to mention, less accessible than Twine or Java, which can be run out of a browser.

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
So...does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try instead?

I can do better than that.

I started working on a game with an eerily similar premise a while back. Seriously, as I was reading your post, I considered that maybe you'd hacked my computer. Then real life reared its head, leaving little time to work on it. If you'd be interested in working together on something like this, send me a PM and I'll share what I've got so far. It's not an exact duplicate, but very, very similar. It's in Java, by the way.

The Silver Bard

Sep 2, 2015
Twine is a pretty good choice, especially i you don't have a lot of programming experience. If you want to see what the engine is capable of, I suggest opening up something like Free Cities in it. You will need to learn to code to do what you want, but Twine will give you a solid foundation to start with

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
Twine is a good option. If you have experience with some particular programing language then going with what you know is also a solid choice. I would also offer you access to my own engine, but I don't think it's ready for the type of game you're trying to build without significant programing knowledge.

I would also mention that Java Applets (as in Java, not JavaScript) in the browser is kind of dead. Lots of browsers security settings will reject it by default so its kind of finicky. Java on the desktop still works fine of course.

Best of luck

dndw

Aug 27, 2015
I would also mention that Java Applets (as in Java, not JavaScript) in the browser is kind of dead. Lots of browsers security settings will reject it by default so its kind of finicky. Java on the desktop still works fine of course

Browser based Java is dead, long Iive browser baded Java. JavaFX can be deployed to the browser.