Gene-Modding?

BlueMogu

Sep 12, 2015
I've been interested in the prospect of gene-modding in TiTs ever since the game's earliest iterations. It always seemed like an awesome way of modifying your character however you please, rather than gamble with food items or dubious drugs, even if it did cost the player a hefty amount of credits. It could open the door for endless amounts of wacky options, without much need to offer an explanation. But it's still has yet to be implemented in any way, which leaves me wondering why it hasn't. I know the game is still deep in development and it surely be implemented eventually; but I always expected it to come much sooner. If anything I figured it would be TiTs version of transformatives. You would have to pay for most things rather than simply find an item.

As of now the idea of gene-modding simply seems like this universe's version of "A Wizard Did It" for whenever a furry character shows up.

EDIT: I've always been under the impression that gene-modding was a type of surgery. But after searching around on Smutosaur it seems "gene-mods" are simply items that modify the person's body. Therefore all transformatives are basically gene-mods. Is this correct? Because for whatever reason I haven't seen this stated elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
"Find an item" option is exclusive for Steele, btw, since those nanobots are unique for now. So there areally are very few TFs which are not based on some monstergirl kemonomimi race.

I've always been under the impression that gene-modding was a type of surgery. But after searching around on Smutosaur it seems "gene-mods" are simply items that modify the person's body. Therefore all transformatives are basically gene-mods. Is this correct? Because for whatever reason I haven't seen this stated elsewhere.

It is cell-level surgery done by nanobots. It is unknown, if it is actual gene modification or only phenotype change, though.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
You're partaking in gene modding every time you use one of the literally dozens of transformative items one can buy in stores.  If you want something targeted, well, Fen's rules are that it's much more expensive.

"Find an item" option is exclusive for Steele, btw, since those nanobots are unique for now. So there areally are very few TFs which are not based on some monstergirl kemonomimi race.

Yes and no.  The new camgirl shows off that things like zil rations do work for others, they just may need to be specially prepared first.

And I've got bad news for you if you're expecting transformatives that aren't some kind of monster girl/boy or furry.  Sticking to the basically human frame for the sake of writer sanity means you're not going to be turning into a jellyfish or anything weird like that.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
And I've got bad news for you if you're expecting transformatives that aren't some kind of monster girl/boy or furry.  Sticking to the basically human frame for the sake of writer sanity means you're not going to be turning into a jellyfish or anything weird like that.

I personally only missing fox/cat morph TF in vanilla TiTS. And, BTW, doesn't goo is essentionally weird jellyfish thing?

BlueMogu

Sep 12, 2015
I'm not sure what I'm expecting from gene-modding, it's certainly not jellyfishes as I understand the game has it limits, but at least having access to being a proper furry seems fair since there are few ways to become one so far.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I personally only missing fox/cat morph TF in vanilla TiTS. And, BTW, doesn't goo is essentionally weird jellyfish thing?

It is, but don't be terribly surprised if you can count the scenes that actually consider you being made of goo on one hand.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting from gene-modding, it's certainly not jellyfishes as I understand the game has it limits, but at least having access to being a proper furry seems fair since there are few ways to become one so far.

That's fair, and something I aim to provide more options for.  At present you can get full furry horse, bull, and I've written dragon.  I may offer a few more on Uveto.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
That's fair, and something I aim to provide more options for.  At present you can get full furry horse, bull, and I've written dragon.  I may offer a few more on Uveto.

Maybe it's me, but those TFs seems to be... Not most popular between fanbase.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Well, at least one part of horses is popular.

No idea what the stats are as far as how many players use bulls.  I'm guessing it's not actually all that many players who use masculine characters period.  Amusingly, though, right now you need to use Mino Charge and not use Bovinium to be a furry cowgirl or one without weird quad nipples, using Tittyblossom, Pussybloom and Condensol together to genderswap after beefing up.  I may provide a less convoluted alternative.

shadefalcon

Oct 13, 2015

Naleen nip, panda pro and nuki cookie are the only TFs i can think of besides the ones Couch mentioned.

Centaur body is pretty cool. Cosmetically speaking...

Kesil

Aug 26, 2015
Not most popular between fanbase.

While we might not have a TiTS survey around, and if this means anything (if only in terms of a place which gathers roleplayers who are mostly into smut) during my weekly F-List findings I noticed how dragon and horse are two of the most character types I stumble across, only surpassed by canine and feline ones.

As for wacky/non-animal transformations... I'd certainly love to see some, but reasons against them have been given in the past. Oh well.

Xeivous

Sep 21, 2015
As of now, all I can think of in terms of TFs that I won't to not turn out disappointing is cybernetics. Cus I fear that getting robot arms will likely replace both your arms or when it does replace one arm, it won't be a robot version of whatever arm tf you may have.

K

Krynh

t is cell-level surgery done by nanobots. It is unknown, if it is actual gene modification or only phenotype change, though.

That's an interesting question. It has to be genome though, otherwise your nanites are always going to be having to constantly modify your cells to produce those traits. Things like sperm that tastes of honey.

TF's that aren't food of a race must contain nanites to modify a person to the specific instructions, a virus could edit your genome but wouldn't suddenly make you grow horns. 

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
It would be interesting if Cybernetics gets implemented as a flag rather than a full blown TF persay. 

BigBadCat

Aug 27, 2015

No idea what the stats are as far as how many players use bulls.  I'm guessing it's not actually all that many players who use masculine characters period.  Amusingly, though, right now you need to use Mino Charge and not use Bovinium to be a furry cowgirl or one without weird quad nipples, using Tittyblossom, Pussybloom and Condensol together to genderswap after beefing up.  I may provide a less convoluted alternative.

I'm in love with Mino Charge! Game needed it badly. Not all of my characters keep cowboy appearance, but I always find this TF useful.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Yes and no.  The new camgirl shows off that things like zil rations do work for others, they just may need to be specially prepared first.

I'm pretty sure that Steph Irson's show had already established that then certain alien fluids, if not their food, can transform a person who doesn't have microsurgeons.

I'm still bummed out about the former not being the case for Captain Steele, even though I understand why the devs decided to avoid it.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
I'd be very surprised if Steele's microbots are completely and utterly exclusive to him. Bearing in mind that the fluff surrounding microbots is that they transform your physiology so that you don't wind up poisoned by the alien substances you come in contact with, I'd readily imagine someone like Irson probably has a similar fail-safe system in place.

Etis

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
I'd be very surprised if Steele's microbots are completely and utterly exclusive to him. Bearing in mind that the fluff surrounding microbots is that they transform your physiology so that you don't wind up poisoned by the alien substances you come in contact with, I'd readily imagine someone like Irson probably has a similar fail-safe system in place.

Failsafe system - maybe. But one TFing you...

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Well yes, TFing you, as happens to Irson repeatedly as a result of "coming into contact with" alien substances.

It may very well be Steph's network bosses doing sleazy shit to her behind her back to spice up the show. We never see her actually undergo any transformations on-screen.

Even in the context of Lego DNA mentality that gene-modding in TiTS plays with, transforming one's physiology to prevent food poisoning shouldn't result in growing a pair of cat ears or transforming the dong. This quirk of Dr. Lessau's creation probably isn't shared by normal micro-bots of that nature, because I doubt that two perverts of the same magnitude were behind competitors' research.

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015

I'll have to go and check what the new camgirl says when she's talking about zil rations, but it's established that at least the foundations of the immune boosters have been around for about two centuries when Vic used one of the early prototypes.  What I've been going with is that they've matured to the point where you can get ones tailored for you if you're sufficiently wealthy or connected: Steph has a set either provided by the network or from personal wealth as a successful TV star, but most people you meet don't.  In Lessau's dialogue I assert that Captain Steele has the advantage that their own immune boosters were personally developed by one of the original researchers, who spent much of the past two centuries developing the technology independently before Victor scooped him up, meaning some of the features such as Codex interfacing are next-gen compared to what Steph migh have.

Noob Salad

Captain Shitpost
Aug 26, 2015
The microbots were just handwaved in to make it safe for the PC to stick anything and everything in their mouth.

Because all body fluids of all races have the same pH raite gaiz?

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
The microbots were just handwaved in to make it safe for the PC to stick anything and everything in their mouth.

Because all body fluids of all races have the same pH raite gaiz?

Don't forget protein shape/composition and DNA chirality

Couch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 26, 2015
And every race even having DNA.

Every race probably has RNA and DNA, because carbon is very rich in chemical applications compared to any other element and when creating life from nothing you need every advantage you can get.  That said, there have been experiments in creating XNA using a different sugar backbone, with some success even.  However, it's worth noting that the XNA was able to communicate with DNA and copy information back and forth, so even this may not be an impossible hurdle to overcome for future science.

Karretch

Aug 26, 2015
Every race probably has RNA and DNA, because carbon is very rich in chemical applications compared to any other element and when creating life from nothing you need every advantage you can get.  That said, there have been experiments in creating XNA using a different sugar backbone, with some success even.  However, it's worth noting that the XNA was able to communicate with DNA and copy information back and forth, so even this may not be an impossible hurdle to overcome for future science.

The fallacy with the XNA stuff, though, is it's assuming that just the backbone is different. Yes, carbon is great when it comes to bonding, but even then there's the chance that it won't be the base for life somewhere. There's also the chance (maybe even greater than a non-carbon base) that the actual genetic storage molecule they use even uses amino acids compatible with or remotely similar to our own. Then there's the issue with chromosome count and all that jazz, viable pairings and stuff.

Milkman

Aug 28, 2015
Then we also get into questions of how we should define life. If the planet rush runs into a planet with a mechanical race like the transformers or Geth would they be considered alive? They would likely be sapient and capable of reproduction /self preservation.

They might be like the glitch from starbound though. IE having some sort of programed limitation or malfunction that has prevented them from developing spaceflight and spreading beyond their planet of origin yet. 

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
>discussion about whether it's probable that alien lifeforms would be carbon-based and how much their physiology could ressemble ours

I know it's supposed to be a crack theory, but Colenso's "horny precursors" theory sounds more and more believable...

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015
I'd be very surprised if Steele's microbots are completely and utterly exclusive to him.

Can 100% confirm they're not. While expensive, microsurgeons are a thing lots of people can and do have. Especially rich folk and planet rushers. 

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
Especially rich folk and planet rushers.

That reminds me of a question I had for a long time: does wealth distribution during and after the Rushes look at all similar to the old-Earth ones, i.e  the majority of rushers ending up in the red?

Right now PC can have more money than they know what to do with, but most of the ways to earn it are pretty circumstantial or Steele specific.