Working on new CoC/TiTS style game called Devious.

CatNipCode

Jan 16, 2016
Hi, new user here.

I've been working on a text adventure style game/engine recently and I've started to finish the main founding features. However the main feature I've been working on to set it apart from other games is it is highly moddable, with the entire current game, npc's, items etc. all being a single core mod. The idea is to easily allow others to create and share their own story and adventures within the same framework, and also to allow mods to build upon other mods without any conflicts.

A list of the current features.

• Body Types: Can have normal humanoid body, or go for something a bit more Monster Musume =D
  • Body Parts: All body parts are definable, letting you create your own race or special body parts.
  • Bravely Default style ATB Combat: If you've never played BD, it's a lot like old school Final Fantasy combat but with more strategy for defending.
  • Custom Towns, Maps, Dungeons etc: All with the built in mod editor to customize them.
  • Quests and Adventures
  • Dynamic Encounters: Dialog that randomizes some elements or actions in a sex scene, with branching routes for possible outcomes.
  • Player mutation: Thankfully not as random as CoC was, it's possible for players to change parts of their body using fluid from another race.
  • Android, HTML5, iOS, Windows and Mac support, although mod editor will only be available on the Desktop versions.

So there is some of the things I've got going, I was wondering if anyone else has ideas to add to it? Maybe things they thought was missing from other games? It's my hope that creating easy enough to use tools that people can keep writing and sharing their own stories, after all if I was the only writer, you would only ever see my kinks in the game =D (and I hate cock-tails)

EDIT: Should probably have mentioned that the game itself with have it's own world, npc's etc written, and mods can either add their own storyline or create a completely new game with their mod as the core. It is not just an engine by itself.

Clipboard01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
What is the engine going to have that Quest, Byond, Twine, or whatever else doesn't? Most of those things seem pretty covered.
How certain are you that you can make non-conflicting mods, especially when rolling your own language instead of using something that's already known for low/no conflict like Javascript?

Can't say I'd recommend that as a way to go.

CatNipCode

Jan 16, 2016
Ooo, I was meaning to make a Dota 2 based sex game in Twine, but your engine seems to be a lot easier to work with. So color me hyped. Also, a hard mode where bad ends delete your saves? I'd hope that's possible.

Could definitely have that! I currently have a sort of global buff on the player called "Divine Blessing", that just returns them to the starting area when they 'die', so it would definitely be possible. I don't know about deleting the save file though, that sort of seems open to abuse with modding.

What is the engine going to have that Quest, Byond, Twine, or whatever else doesn't? Most of those things seem pretty covered.
How certain are you that you can make non-conflicting mods, especially when rolling your own language instead of using something that's already known for low/no conflict like Javascript?

Can't say I'd recommend that as a way to go.

It's not really rolling my own language. Behind the scenes it's mostly JSON and plain text files for dialog, with a very simple script parser for some occasions. The less code/script I can get modders to right the better I think.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
I'd highly recommend just putting Google V8 on top of your code and integrating hooks for it.

Though I mean, it depends on how simple/limited you're going to make it, like Inform's language.

CatNipCode

Jan 16, 2016
I'd highly recommend just putting Google V8 on top of your code and integrating hooks for it.

Though I mean, it depends on how simple/limited you're going to make it, like Inform's language.

I've switched to using Lua, seems to have a lot of advantages and is pretty well established for use in game modding.

art926

Sep 8, 2015
Looks pretty simple. But how do you create parameters, conditions, conditional choices, items, characters and etc?

Void Director

Aug 26, 2015
This seems like an interesting project. I am also building an adult game with an editor.

First is this for making windows desktop games, web games or something else?  

Second I am also interested in how you're going to deal with issues like creating abilities in the editor. Will they be done in code or have some system of parameters or both?  The Chosen editor only allows abilities to be created via selecting effects and filling in their parameters. This approach makes abilities pretty easy to make but limited in function requiring me to code the more complex ones directly into the game engine. I think this is far from ideal and a more flexible approach would have advantages. At the same time I want it to be accessible to non programmers.

Third do you have any plans on how you will handle datafiles and merging edits from multiple users? I just use a simple system where the game has a single datafile which can be altered by a player. However, I can see advantages to a system like what is used by the Elder Scrolls game where there are multiple datafiles loaded in some order and the datafiles patch rather than replace each other.

Anyhow, best of luck. I hope to see your project soon.

CatNipCode

Jan 16, 2016
@Void Director

Desktop, webgames are not that good for storing data and modded files, difference from browser to browser to can make it hard.

The editor can use common abiltites, or it can execute a custom script letting you access and set anything you want.

Each 'mod' has a manifest that says what mods it requires, what order it should be loaded in, conflicting mods etc. Currently mods overwrites items which is fine if you want to translate a name or change a value, but I also plan on having a hook system so multiple mods can all edit the same item/character/thing without causing too many problems.

Sadtaco

Aug 27, 2015
Storing data is fine with a modern browser.  If you require some client downloaded, you may as well require a modern browser downloaded.

And modded files? Well that's just easier when you can pull mods from the web and integrate right there.

CatNipCode

Jan 16, 2016
Long time bump! Bit of progress update.

The engine has now been moved to Love2D / LÖVE. This has been a massive improvement to coding and structure, at the small cost of having to port/rewrite a lot of current progress over. One of the biggest benefits though is that the entire game now uses the Lua scripting language! Which very easy to learn and is commonly used to create mods for other games. LÖVE games can also be easily ported to Web/Android/iOS

No other news really, current progress puts the game just a small amount ahead of my original post, but written in a new language with new possibilities and a much better framework.

CatNipCode

Jan 16, 2016
"Monster Musume" Oh god.... Not that anime... :shepicide:

Well the idea is writing scenes targetted at a certain body, as it guarantees certain body parts for the scene. (for example, slime/goo can always have any body part, centuar body will have 4 legs, etc).

Although for now I'm mostly working on a very flexible human body, so a character creator will probably be the first thing I release once I get some good customization options coded in.

Kyrant

Mar 5, 2016
Well the idea is writing scenes targetted at a certain body, as it guarantees certain body parts for the scene. (for example, slime/goo can always have any body part, centuar body will have 4 legs, etc).

Although for now I'm mostly working on a very flexible human body, so a character creator will probably be the first thing I release once I get some good customization options coded in.

Yes, ik what you meant. I just don't like that anime so much.... It's so weird and wrong! And gross with certain characters (Centaur, Spider, etc.)!

Last edited by a moderator:

PentaEye

Apr 22, 2016
Will believe it when I see it in action, until then, any hype is premature.

Anyone remember the 3D TiTs project?