Adventure High

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
You need to attend at least one secret class before Julia actually appears in the library.  That's why you have to skip the strength class and attend a different one first.

I thought it wasn't possible to attend a different class first without getting locked out of the strength class.

Klaptrap

Aug 27, 2015
The current system doesn't really allow for much experimentation amongst team members. As soon as someone misses a class they're permanently lagging behind the others. You got a member late or had them benched for a while? They're just hobbled for the rest of the game.

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Ah, I had forgotten that I had written the code so that it would allow you to unlock Julia by attending a different secret class.  Past me actually thought ahead on that one.

Attendance of the secret classes are entirely based on notes and not any other scenes though, so if you do skip/miss a class, you can still attend it by finding the note that goes with it. 

There will be more than just one class per teacher as the game progresses. By the time I have the game finished, there should be more than enough classes to give all your potential party members access to any schools of magic they happen to be missing at first. 

Last edited by a moderator:

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Well, I just finished up the last of this updates new features. This one is another big one. Lots of new scenes, as well as a new character, a couple new spells, and a couple additions to the game mechanics. The patron release is out now, and the public release will be on the 20th. 

Here's a full list of the features coming in this version: 

- Combat experience gain is now stated in combat log, instead of on the top corner of the screen.
- Monsters now flee immediately in battle, awarding 50% EXP, if your level is high enough. 
- Added fast forward button for conversations
- 7 new scenes added for Heroic Plotline
- 2 new mental floors added
- 3 new monsters added 
- 1 new spell added for Sarah
- Fixed bug allowing early escape from Val's Mental Dungeon that would cause you to be unable to return to the dungeon.
- Fixed bug that prevented Test Hit from being cast.
- New character, Molly, introduced.
- Molly is able to be recruited into the party.
- 1 new spell added for Molly.
- 1 new scene on Student Control plot line added. 
- 1 new scene on Tempted Hero plot line added.
- Alternate enslavement sequence for Julia added. 
- Fixed Bedroom tutorial to display instructions on using the party menu properly. 
- Added Keyboard Controls to combat tutorial 
- Keyboard Controls for combat introduced.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I actually found quite a few bugs in this version:

-After Sarah is cursed, her conversation in the hallway never actually disables.  This means that it plays over and over again indefinitely.

-Getting into a fight in the second floor of Sarah's mind causes you to end up outside the castle afterwards.

-The exit to the second floor of Sarah's mind leads to the first floor of Val's mind, and all of the normal scenes involved with it.

-Dying in battle kicks you back to your room, but doesn't reset any event flags and the combat music continues playing.  You probably meant to have the game reload instead.

-Is Sarah suppose to stay in stone form after the scene where you use that spell on her?

I also have a question about party control.  Is it intended that you must use one of the PC's three debilitating abilities at least once on your party members in order to control them in battle?

changer

Oct 28, 2015
I actually found quite a few bugs in this version:

-After Sarah is cursed, her conversation in the hallway never actually disables.  This means that it plays over and over again indefinitely.

-Getting into a fight in the second floor of Sarah's mind causes you to end up outside the castle afterwards.

-The exit to the second floor of Sarah's mind leads to the first floor of Val's mind, and all of the normal scenes involved with it.

-Dying in battle kicks you back to your room, but doesn't reset any event flags and the combat music continues playing.  You probably meant to have the game reload instead.

-Is Sarah suppose to stay in stone form after the scene where you use that spell on her?

I also have a question about party control.  Is it intended that you must use one of the PC's three debilitating abilities at least once on your party members in order to control them in battle?

Weird; at least half of those I specifically remember fixing. Stencyl must have somehow failed to save my fixes. >< I should have most of those fixes uploading in a few minutes. I have no idea why your event flags didn't reset after dying in battle though. I do have it set to load first, then send you to the bedroom. (which is, incidentally what causes the battle music not to stop, because it loads the variable for the room music and is tricked into thinking that the right music is playing. I am still working on fixing that)

Controlling a character in battle depends on their obedience towards you, and their trust in you. Your spells will increase a character's obedience towards you even if they are not enslaved, which can lead to them obeying you even if they are not slaves. Building up trust with a character requires conversing with them outside of the main plot, which will take longer to do. I don't remember off the top of my head which characters have enough scenes to trust you without casting magic on them first, but it's probably only one or two so far. 

Fur-Man: Here's a link to an rar archive with the game in it.  http://www.novacorp-online.net/AdventureHigh.rar

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Well, the most obvious problem thing I noticed is that you can control Val if you suggest using your magic on her in the first scene and then break off right away, but can't if you choose to test the magic on the enemies.  It creates a weird sort of unintuative mechanic for the player that tends to result in confusion more than anything else.  It's the same thing for the current skill learning system that doesn't spread to backline characters.  I kinda feel that it would be simpler and more fun for the player if visiting a special class unlocks the new powers for all current and future party members.  Then you don't get gimped party members and don't get punished if you happened to not have a full party at the time you visited the class.

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Well, the most obvious problem thing I noticed is that you can control Val if you suggest using your magic on her in the first scene and then break off right away, but can't if you choose to test the magic on the enemies.  It creates a weird sort of unintuative mechanic for the player that tends to result in confusion more than anything else.  It's the same thing for the current skill learning system that doesn't spread to backline characters.  I kinda feel that it would be simpler and more fun for the player if visiting a special class unlocks the new powers for all current and future party members.  Then you don't get gimped party members and don't get punished if you happened to not have a full party at the time you visited the class.

Val's default trust in you is rather high, since you are long-term friends. So, it doesn't take much to get her to follow your commands. I am planning on having a class go more into specifics on leadership fairly soon. 

There will be several opportunities to bring characters into each type of secret class by the end of the game. I know it's a bit restricted right now since there are only a few classes available, but it should balance out so that unlocking the skills of all your party members isn't too difficult later on. 

changer

Oct 28, 2015
I have the next update ready, and available for Patrons now. The public release will be on the 20th again this month. Finally managed to get around to updating the main characters avatar in this one. Since this one's a round numbered update, I tried to squeeze in a bit more content than usual. It doesn't look like a lot in list form, but a couple of the scenes I've added are rather long, and there is more new artwork in this one than usual. Here's the list of what's new in this update:

- There is now a chance that students will appear in Dr. Tiff's classroom to complain about "vampire" attacks on the first floor.
- 3 new scenes involving a mysterious Berserker added
- Berserker can now be recruited. 
- 1 new chat scene with Julia
- 1 new floor added to the dungeon
- 1 new monster added to the dungeon
- 1 new note added to the dungeon
- Jane's first secret class added
- 1 new spell for Dan/Rosa added
- Jane's private lesson for Charm spell added for Heroic, Tempted, and Enslavement Paths.
- Avatar and Icons for Main Character updated
- 2 new scenes for Sarah; leading to a major splash image of a nude, Dollified Sarah.
- Doll Sarah now stands in the corner of the bedroom if she is currently inanimate.
- 2 new avatar images for Sarah
- New version of Sarah's Library image if she is in her Doll Form

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Couple days late posting about it, but I just finished Version 0.21. Here's what's new in this version:

- New redemption plot-line added. Val is released from your control automatically, and you are given a choice between releasing your slaves or enslaving Dr. Tiff.
- New release sequences added for Ms. Rack, Cassandra, Julia, and Sarah.
- 3 new scenes added for Val, including two potential re-enslavement sequences.
- 1 new monster added
- 1 new floor added
- Added 1 new support spell for Cassandra
- New intel available from Julia on Dr. Tiff.
- 3 new scenes on Dr. Tiff's enslavement Route leading to her enslavement.
- 2 alternate scenes leading up towards Tiff's enslavement added, with a variation for each of Cassandra's personalities.
- Several scenes added to alternate Berserker plot involving Julia.
- 1 new enslavement sequence for Julia added.
- Ice Blade buffed to be on par with other 2nd level spells

changer

Oct 28, 2015
I completely forgot to post about version 0.22... Um... so... I finished version 0.23. Here's what's new in the latest two versions. ><

v0.23:

- 2 new floors added to dungeon.
- 2 new monsters added 
- 1 new note added 
- 1 New scene with Molly added at 10th floor note 
- Item store now functional.
- Several new sequences involving Molly added, triggered by using the Love Potion #9 & 3/4ths on her multiple times.
- 2 new areas in town added.
- 4 items added to Item Store. (Note, what items you buy will influence Molly's opinion of you in addition to their normal affects)
- Able to obtain gems after talking to Molly in the Item Store.
- Current Gem count added to stats in the Party Menu.
- First date with un-charmed Sarah added. Scene includes brief windows where she becomes vulnerable to either Confuse, Charm, or Suppression. 
- 1 new make-out scene with Sarah added. (If you have 75 or higher affection during the first date with Sarah she will agree to make out with you, and a new scene will be available in the bedroom. If you have less than 75 affection, you can cause the scene to happen by casting charm on her at the right moment when she rejects your offer.)
- 2 new splash pages to go with the make-out scene. One with Normal Sarah, and one with Doll Sarah. 
- 1 new spell for Sarah, replaces Cauterize when learned. Can be learned by selecting "take the lead" during the make-out scene with Sarah.
- 2 new spells for Molly added. One will be cast randomly once she knows it, the other cannot be used until she is able to be given combat orders.
- Physical Magic secret class added
- Monsters now have weaknesses and resistances towards certain aspects of spells, which can affect the spell power of spells matching those aspects. 
- Baby Slime's defense reduced.
- New avatar for Dr. Tiff added 
- New avatar for Rosa added
- Color of menus and buttons changed, and portrait size on icons made to be more uniform.

v0.22

- 1 new destructive spell added for Val
- 1 new destructive spell added for Sarah
- 1 new scene for Val added.
- 1 New Slave Chatter scene between Charmed Val and Normal Sarah added
 - 1 New Slave Chatter scene between Normal Cassandra and Charmed Sarah added
 - Sarah will now ask Dan out if he is single and her affection towards him is 50 or higher. (Sarah is straight and monogamous, so dating her as Rosa or while also dating another character will still require the Charm spell)
- 3 new scenes for the Cowed Cassandra Plot added
- New avatars for Jane, and Dan drawn by RokuMoku
- Button added to bedroom to toggle style between old art and new (May or may not work on existing saves. It seems to arbitrarily not work on some of my saves when tested, and I cannot find a cause. It always works on a fresh game though.)
- Chat icons now reflect the currently selected style 
- Added library scene for Dr. Tiff.

Hoboy

Mar 31, 2016
Quick question - how does one play this game? Hate to sound stupid, but the "Play Now" page on the blog that everything links to has no playable download or playable link that I can find?

Hoboy

Mar 31, 2016
That explains it - it won't open in Safari, but will in Chrome...

changer

Oct 28, 2015
It could be that safari is set up to automatically block flash. I know some browsers do that, or have add-ons that do it. 

Tinman

Aug 30, 2015
It could be that safari is set up to automatically block flash. I know some browsers do that, or have add-ons that do it. 

I'm pretty sure Safari is the standard browser for Apple products, which don't support flash.  Makes sense that the browser itself wouldn't support flash when most of the products its on also don't.

Hoboy

Mar 31, 2016
Actually Safari does support Flash - all I usually do is tell it to accept flash for that website. However, in this case the picture does not appear at all in that browser. It's one of few websites I've seen this issue on. No biggie - I run Chrome and Firefox on my Mac as well so I can always workaround...

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Just uploaded v0.24. Finally managed to get that universal main menu designed that I've been wanting for the last three or four updates. Here's what's new in this version:

- Ms. Rack's avatar updated
- Eyebrows on other new avatars made thicker to make expressions more visible
- 3 new scenes added to Love Potion Plot line.
- Molly gains a new hunger for sex that grows each time you enter the dungeon after learning about her transformation.
- After learning about Molly's transformation, you can visit her in your room to check on her, or feed her.
- Added option to select style from beginning of a new game.
- new scene added on heroic/tempted plot-line.
- Added 4 new scenes on Berserker plotline
- Added universal main menu that can be opened in any location with the Enter key.
- New menu allows swapping party members as long as you are not in the dungeon.
- Enemy fleeing can now be toggled off in menu.
- Characters under your control or who trust you can now be set to act freely in combat.
- Art style swapping is now in the menu instead of the bedroom.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Couple suggestions for the universal main menu.  One is to let the player reset the game back to the main menu if they want to reload or start a new game.  The other is to add your money count somewhere in there.

I was just wondering if the only path for the berserker right now is through normal Julia restoring her mind and, if yes, are there any alternative paths planned for her?

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Couple suggestions for the universal main menu.  One is to let the player reset the game back to the main menu if they want to reload or start a new game.  The other is to add your money count somewhere in there.

I was just wondering if the only path for the berserker right now is through normal Julia restoring her mind and, if yes, are there any alternative paths planned for her?

Not sure why I didn't think to include a return to menu button. I'll try to work that in next update. The menu does include your money though. Your stats show when you don't have any other character selected (Which is indicated by your character's name appearing above the stats) and amongst those stats are your gems. It appears as a blank spot when another party member is selected to avoid accidentally implying that other party members have money you can access.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
Not sure why I didn't think to include a return to menu button. I'll try to work that in next update. The menu does include your money though. Your stats show when you don't have any other character selected (Which is indicated by your character's name appearing above the stats) and amongst those stats are your gems. It appears as a blank spot when another party member is selected to avoid accidentally implying that other party members have money you can access.

Ah, I didn't even realize that you could de-select characters to see your own character's stats.  I guess that isn't an obvious feature in the menu.  There does seem to be an odd bug in there; sometimes I can't change characters while outside the dungeon unless I first choose to return to the bedroom, even when already in the bedroom.

changer

Oct 28, 2015
The main character's stats should be visible first before clicking on anyone too. 

There is some code to prevent you from switching party members while inside the dungeon. Is there anything you notice similar in instances where the game thinks you are in the dungeon when you are not? It can be hard to narrow down what is causing the bug when it occurs randomly.

TheDarkMaster

Creator
Aug 28, 2015
I hadn't tested yet to repeat the bug, but it was fairly easy to do.  All you need to do is enter and then exit the dungeon without using the return to bedroom action.  The block that's put in place when you enter the dungeon isn't removed when you leave it through the first floor exit.

djunk101

Oct 6, 2015
Something weird happened when I tried to recruit both the berserker and Julia. I defeated the berserker with Julia once, then used Suppression on Julia in the following converstion, then fought the berserker again and used Suppression on her. Then I immediately went to the library to talk to Julia, but she didn't mention Ashley at all, so I went to the bedroom and we had the little discussion about not changing her mind and I went back to the Library and still nothing about Ashley. Also, when I would open the menu, the backround looked like the dungeon and when I closed it I was suddenly in the dungeon again if I wasn't already. I should mention this happened on the patreon release of .24, before the public one was released.

changer

Oct 28, 2015
Sorry about that. I must have accidentally messed up a number while making adjustments to the code to include the next set of scenes in that path. I think I have it fixed now, and will be uploading the fix in a few minutes. As for the dungeon problem, did you leave via the stairs? I was told about a bug related to that earlier today which prevented the game from realizing you left the dungeon. If that was the cause, it should be fixed now. 

changer

Oct 28, 2015
I forgot to mention the new updates from last month. >< I forgot my password then while waiting for my account to un-lock to try again I forgot to try again. I'm back now though and hopefully won't forget my password this time. 

Anyways, so, I finished 0.25 and here's what's new in that version:

- 1 new spell for Sarah
- 2 new spells for Dan/Rosa
- 3 new spells for Julia
- outcomes added for Flirt Spell in two of Val's scenes. 
- New scene added for Val if she has 50 affection towards you, and you flirted with her when she walks in one you in the library with Needy Sarah.
- Massive scene at the Lake involving Sarah added. 
- 4 scenes added for Sarah's alternate plot if you refuse to go with her in the previously mentioned scene. Last scene has 4 alternate endings.
- Updated avatars for Sarah, and a Ghost added
- Flirt Spell lesson added for Heroic route
- Added new scene for Jane.
- New artwork added for Ms. Rack's enslavement sequence.

and I have the next update finished and it will be out on the 20th. The updates that will be in that version are: 

-All avatars now scaled up in size.
-3 new scenes for Ms. Rack added. 
-Mass bimbofication ending added. (First non-failure ending)
-New image added to Ms. Rack's enslavement sequence for new graphics.
-New scene added to conclude Sarah's home plot.
-2 characters added, Erin and Eric and tutorial for the new Monster Tamer store added. 
-1 Monster hunting quest added.
-Magic Chakrams can be purchased in the item store after starting the first monster hunting quest.
-Magic Chakrams can be used to turn normal monsters into extra gems instead of EXP 
-When entering the dungeon, you can now start at any sigil up to the last one you have found.