Bess vs Gianna?

Yvenne

Oct 25, 2015
Gianna is described as a "G-class A.I., KihaCorp Class Six Companion Droid" and "previously owned by, Jace, a highly-ranked KihaCorp employee". Also, in PC's original introduction to her:

Gianna rolls her eyes, a surprisingly human motion. “I’m a companion droid, not some cheaply manufactured floozy with her entire budget between her legs! That means a G-class artificial intelligence and top-of-the-line mechanical components. I’m as capable of feeling and emotion as any organic with all the power of a supercomputer backing it up. Companions see to the complete wellness of their owners. Sometimes that may mean sex, but it also means a friend or just someone to talk to. Being seen in the presence of a companion droid is quite common for the elite of many planets.”

Well, that explains quite a bit. G-class intelligences are easily as expensive as a starship, if not more. 

Bess, on the other hand, is "a highly-modifiable, JoyCo-affiliated sex android". So, technically, Bess is inferior to Gianna? Bess is also sold at a value of 10k credits, so she's not all very expensive. I don't know. I still like Bess more, just for the sheer customizability. I wished she was a companion droid toooooooooooooooo. D': On one hand, I wish Gianna could become a follower/waifu, but then again her loyalties will always lie with Big T the way I see it. Not to mention it would be too much like replacing Bess since they're so similar, and that doesn't sit very well with me. Well, we don't know Bess' history. Maybe she's actually worth a lot more. Maybe she doesn't remember what she is? I mean, imagine how amazing a G-Class supercomputer follower would be. Maybe, maybe we could integrate Hand So's clearly superior cognitive functions with Bess? Essentially, I'd love if we'd have further options/upgrades for Bess. 

How bout you guys?

EDIT: When you talk to Gianna, she gives an estimated value of a G-Class android:

Gianna answers, “Somewhere around 100,000 credits, depending on dealer discounts, incentives, and bundles. That’s just for the A.I. mind you. This body would be 65,000 new.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
You get 10k credits for selling a used and more than probably stolen BESS-13 (with license numbers filed off) to a shady fence who's obviously undercutting you. That doesn't mean their purchase price is anywhere near that range.

"G-class" means the AI is grown from a brainscan of an infant of sentient species. It does not indicate any specific level of processing power.

Number13

Aug 26, 2015
I have to agree with Colenso. With Gianna, Bess/Ben and Hand-So, they're attempting to obtain world domination by making us forget of the other Waifu's/Husbando's and having us focus on them, forgetting the organics.

Yvenne

Oct 25, 2015
You get 10k credits for selling a used and more than probably stolen BESS-13 (with license numbers filed off) to a shady fence who's obviously undercutting you. That doesn't mean their purchase price is anywhere near that range.

"G-class" means the AI is grown from a brainscan of an infant of sentient species. It does not indicate any specific level of processing power.

The first part is true, and maybe she's worth significantly more than that. But even if it was 20% the worth of an actual mint condition BESS-13, I'm reasonably sure the price of a starship would be higher by magnitudes. Not to mention, Gianna doesn't seem to have a license number or a model name/number unlike BESS-13, which means she is more likely custom produced, and not from a mass production line.

And for the "G-Class" thing, source please? But yeah, while 'G-Class' may not indicate any level of processing power, Gianna does refer to herself as having "the power of a supercomputer". Which does, indicate a quite high level of processing power. Especially taking into fact that computers at that age and time would be so advanced it would blow our current supercomputers out of the water (anyone see those supercomputers in the 90s that we laugh at now). Bess does not seem capable of the emotional depth displayed by Gianna, or the level of processing power Gianna boasts (it clearly won't be in a mass produced sex droid. On the other hand, a 'companion' droid that is apparently owned by elites, Gianna in particular being owned by a high up employee in KihaCorp? I can believe that)

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it xD  It's when you ask Gianna about A.I. right?

“G-class refers to the method of our creation. Unlike virtual intelligences or programmed intelligences, we’re actually patterned after a simulated brainscan of a sapient creature.”

And a G-Class seems to be worth 165k creds, AI + Body, at least Gianna. Just found it. Has been added to title post. But yeah, Even if 10k creds had been 20% worth of BESS-13 (10/0.2 = 50k creds), it's still much, much lower.

I have to agree with Colenso. With Gianna, Bess/Ben and Hand-So, they're attempting to obtain world domination by making us forget of the other Waifu's/Husbando's and having us focus on them, forgetting the organics.

Ahahahaha xD

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
The first part is true, and maybe she's worth significantly more than that. But even if it was 20% the worth of an actual mint condition BESS-13, I'm reasonably sure the price of a starship would be higher by magnitudes. Not to mention, Gianna doesn't seem to have a license number or a model name/number unlike BESS-13, which means she is more likely custom produced, and not from a mass production line.

And for the "G-Class" thing, source please? But yeah, while 'G-Class' may not indicate any level of processing power, Gianna does refer to herself as having "the power of a supercomputer". Which does, indicate a quite high level of processing power. Especially taking into fact that computers at that age and time would be so advanced it would blow our current supercomputers out of the water (anyone see those supercomputers in the 90s that we laugh at now). Bess does not seem capable of the emotional depth displayed by Gianna, or the level of processing power Gianna boasts (it clearly won't be in a mass produced sex droid. On the other hand, a 'companion' droid that is apparently owned by elites, Gianna in particular being owned by a high up employee in KihaCorp? I can believe that)

We have no idea what the price range of starships looks like (so you're just talking out of your arse), and the fraction of price you cite likewise comes from thin air. The fact is that we don't know how much either of them would actually cost (and AI versions of BESS-13 aren't even manufactured or sold anymore). We do know Gianna isn't a custom model since a sexbot with the same chassis shows up in The Silence. Gianna's model number is Generation Six, and she almost certainly has a product number (since she costs more than a starship).

Gianna does refer to herself as a supercomputer, but whether that's just marketing spiel (and what a "supercomputer" even means, in the far future) we don't know. She does, however mention how her thought processes are "entirely unoptimized". As for Bess' computational power, again, we don't know, but there's no reason to assume it would be lower than Gianna's. For emotional registry, well, Gianna is a grown AI who's been active for a long time, and has been given space to express herself and treated as a person. Bess, when you get her, is just out of the factory, AI-wise (since she had been reset), and yet I'd argue she shows the wider spectrum of emotion, a testament to her coders (since she's not an organic AI, and all the emotions etc. have been created from a scratch).

The source for what G-class means is Gianna herself:

Quote said:
G-class refers to the method of our creation. Unlike virtual intelligences or programmed intelligences, we’re actually patterned after a simulated brainscan of a sapient creature.

Fisto

Aug 26, 2015

We have no idea what the price range of starships looks like (so you're just talking out of your arse)
Well considering people (Such as Kaede) are in debt over their ships and that I can easily get 10k by scrounging around on the frontier Yvenne's assumption is reasonable

Yvenne

Oct 25, 2015
We have no idea what the price range of starships looks like (so you're just talking out of your arse), and the fraction of price you cite likewise comes from thin air. The fact is that we don't know how much either of them would actually cost (and AI versions of BESS-13 aren't even manufactured or sold anymore). We do know Gianna isn't a custom model since a sexbot with the same chassis shows up in The Silence. Gianna's model number is Generation Six, and she almost certainly has a product number (since she costs more than a starship).

Gianna does refer to herself as a supercomputer, but whether that's just marketing spiel (and what a "supercomputer" even means, in the far future) we don't know. She does, however mention how her thought processes are "entirely unoptimized". As for Bess' computational power, again, we don't know, but there's no reason to assume it would be lower than Gianna's. For emotional registry, well, Gianna is a grown AI who's been active for a long time, and has been given space to express herself and treated as a person. Bess, when you get her, is just out of the factory, AI-wise (since she had been reset), and yet I'd argue she shows the wider spectrum of emotion, a testament to her coders (since she's not an organic AI, and all the emotions etc. have been created from a scratch).

The source for what G-class means is Gianna herself:
Uhm. What? Yeah, I already know the source for G-Class meaning. If you had actually bothered to see that I edited my post. Particularly the section, with edit, in bold. But I can just copy it down here for you. 

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it xD  It's when you ask Gianna about A.I. right?

“G-class refers to the method of our creation. Unlike virtual intelligences or programmed intelligences, we’re actually patterned after a simulated brainscan of a sapient creature.”

And I haven't played the Silence, so it's new to me that she's not a custom model. I just assumed that. Color me corrected on that particular point. And now, again, I must quote myself to refute your points.

I'm reasonably sure the price of a starship would be higher by magnitudes.

Yes. Reasonably sure, as in making a simple common sense deduction when dealing with a starship and a common android, is totally "talking out of my ass", right? Look, I don't want to be rude. In fact, I hate to be rude. But I'll respond with the same amount of respect you deliver me. So expect sarcasm, and dryness. 

Well considering people (Such as Kaede) are in debt over their ships and that I can easily get 10k by scrounging around on the frontier Yvenne's assumption is reasonable

So, by your logic, Fisto must also be "talking out of his ass" right? Because logical, reasonable conclusions are clearly something we cannot reach without direct hard facts saying it to the letter.

Oh, and look, I was right. I don't need to know the value of a starship, if Gianna tells me her value herself.

And a G-Class seems to be worth 165k creds, AI + Body, at least Gianna. Just found it. Has been added to title post. But yeah, Even if 10k creds had been 20% worth of BESS-13 (10/0.2 = 50k creds), it's still much, much lower.

Yes, if you properly read the same block of text that let you know of Gianna's G-class fancy definition, you'd also know her worth is 165k credits. And the fraction of the price I cite? Mathematics, unfortunately, apparently seems to be thin air. Yes, I said, EVEN IF, the 10k had been 20% of the original price of a BESS-13 (as you cited that that the model was sold for much lower than it's actually worth due to depreciation over time), it would still be lower. And here, is simple arithmetics. Something you may be unfamiliar with, but I can highlight the steps. Multiply the 10k value by estimated percentage (20%). Yes, this value could be wrong, but it would most likely be on the upward scale, so there is no reasonable point of objection. Unless you think 10k is even lower than 20% of the BESS-13's original price?

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
I like being able to customize and name Bess, but I have not done any of her romantic content, yet. In other hand, Gianna doesn't have much in the way of interaction besides a couple conversations and scenes on NT. I'd say Bess is the superior character in terms of content.

Yvenne

Oct 25, 2015

I like being able to customize and name Bess, but I have not done any of her romantic content, yet. In other hand, Gianna doesn't have much in the way of interaction besides a couple conversations and scenes on NT. I'd say Bess is the superior character in terms of content.

Yeah, her content is pretty good too, you should definitely check it out! :D  You can choose the position, titles you call each other inside as well as outside of sex, separately, the roles you both play (equals, Bess submissive or dominant), and even which orifice is penetrated in either way, giving or taking. Bess, in terms of customizability, beats Gianna by far. But by non-sexual technical specs, I assume Gianna to be the winner unless proven otherwise 

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
I can't see the edits to a post you make while I'm replying to it

, if you properly read the same block of text that let you know of Gianna's G-class fancy definition, you'd also know her worth is 165k credits. And the fraction of the price I cite? Mathematics, unfortunately, apparently seems to be thin air. Yes, I said, EVEN IF, the 10k had been 20% of the original price of a BESS-13 (as you cited that that the model was sold for much lower than it's actually worth due to depreciation over time), it would still be lower. And here, is simple arithmetics. Something you may be unfamiliar with, but I can highlight the steps. Multiply the 10k value by estimated percentage (20%). Yes, this value could be wrong, but it would most likely be on the upward scale, so there is no reasonable point of objection. Unless you think 10k is even lower than 20% of the BESS-13's original price?

Using a number that you pulled out of thin air to prove that you're not pulling stuff out of thin air isn't exactly convincing. To labour what should be obvious, I don't think the shady fence to whom you can sell Bess is giving you anywhere near 20% of her retail value, even if her model was still commercially available (which is isn't).

As for starship value, I maintain that we don't know. Kaede's debt means basically nothing, given the RPG-style pricing of in-game items (and the corresponding RPG-style wealth accumulation of the PC).

Yvenne

Oct 25, 2015
I can't see the edits to a post you make while I'm replying to it

Using a number that you pulled out of thin air to prove that you're not pulling stuff out of thin air isn't exactly convincing. To labour what should be obvious, I don't think the shady fence to whom you can sell Bess is giving you anywhere near 20% of her retail value, even if her model was still commercially available (which is isn't).

As for starship value, I maintain that we don't know. Kaede's debt means basically nothing, given the RPG-style pricing of in-game items (and the corresponding RPG-style wealth accumulation of the PC).

Again, the fact that BESS-13 is not commercially available should only increase her worth, because limited edition. Unless, production was halted as a new model was released. Gianna's model still seems to be commercially available, which, on one hand, demonstrates that there is a high price even with ample supply, and also that the product was a success. And I refuse to believe PC is such a dumb idiot that gets swindled and sells it at less than 20% of the retail price. Steele is the daughter of the head of a corporate conglomerate involved with similar technologies. She should be able to tell top quality goods when she sees em.

And I could also say, similarly, that the fact that you believe Bess was sold for less than >20% of the retail price is also an assumption you pulled out of thin air, without facts, and thus, isn't exactly convincing.

But yes, I did forget the fact that you could not have seen the edits made as you were replying, as you did not reload the page. My apologies for that. Still, it doesn't excuse having missed the fact Gianna was worth 165k. Again, as I maintain Bess's retail price could be no more than 50k credits, it is reasonable to assume Gianna would have a higher computational power.

Say, however, hypothetically, I did agree that Bess was worth equal if not more than Gianna in terms of value. Merely for a rough estimation, let us calculate how much in percentage the 10k BESS was sold for would be, if, Bess was equal in value to Gianna (again beyond that it would be upward, so no reason for objection). In other words, Bess being of a value >=165k credits.

So, 10/165 = x , right?

x =  0.06061 ---> *100 = 6.061%

Sooo, if you want to argue that BESS-13 had been sold for 6.061% or lower of its original value, feel free. Be my guest. I can't wait to see what you'll pull out of your ass to make that sound reasonable.

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
BESS-13 was withdrawn from the markets because they tended to go nuts. You can still get the same chassis, but the newer models have VI instead of real AI, at the tenth of the cost. The fence you're selling Bess is more likely to assume you have the actual production version, instead of the ol' recalled model.

And again, you're selling used and stolen property to a criminal fence. Now, I haven't much experience about fencing stolen sexbots in the spacefuture, but I reckon the markdowns are pretty steep.

Then there's the fact that the 10k credit reward was pretty much picked out of the hat, rather early in the development, and probably doesn't have any connection with anything. After all, Hand So is demonstrably capable of conquering the known universe, yet you only get 20k credits for selling her, not even enough for two fancy laser pistols.

JimThermic

Creator
Aug 26, 2015
Oh god no. Someone actually made this thread....

...Still, The lure to answer the cost question is too irresistible.

• That dude who bought it for 10k credits DID hideously undercut you. He definitely gave you less than 10%. More like 1%. It's stated in the codex that  Bess or Ben models are purchased primarily by hospitals and rich recreational users because no-one else can afford them. This is true of both the AI *and* the VI models, with VIs being significantly cheaper. The dude who undercuts you massively? He thinks it's one of the VIs. At 10k, a customizable bot like that is a total steal. It's sub-light robbery.
  • Bess was an attempt to create an AI that had both the perks of an AI-G like Gianna, and a coded AI like Hand So. They took a coded AI—which essentially is a sentient supercomputer, capable of self-coding when unrestrained—and included emotional modules and libraries. They then stuffed it in a highly customizable sex bot, which was a big ass mistake. They started going rogue, though only when mistreated. That's why they were recalled and even actively hunted down. So in terms of computational power, that's where she's at.
  • Bess is black market goods. Not only that, she's extremely rare black market goods. The number of Bess and Ben AI units left in the galaxy probably number in the double digits, if not the single. Take a hospital bought sex bot and slap that factor on the price tag.
Most of this stuff is explained by going down her romance path, though, and isn't really obvious when you first pick her up and play for a while.

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

GalCredits are about as valuable and economically stable as Zimbabwe Bucks. Their worth happens to be whatever the fuck one of us pulls out our ass at any given time.

Personally, I imagine a stock freighter+ sized starship as costing many hundreds of thousands of credits, but who even knows.

Reactions: Lone Wolf115

TheHappiestMerchantMan

Oct 5, 2015
GalCredits are about as valuable and economically stable as Zimbabwe Bucks. Their worth happens to be whatever the fuck one of us pulls out our ass at any given time.

Personally, I imagine a stock freighter+ sized starship as costing many hundreds of thousands of credits, but who even knows.

Savin what if i were to tell you I was the special kind of guy who finds sexual thrills in working out fictional rates of currencies and making a common link between tens if not hundreds of different documents in order to establish a unified value system.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Savin what if i were to tell you I was the special kind of guy who finds sexual thrills in working out fictional rates of currencies and making a common link between tens if not hundreds of different documents in order to establish a unified value system.

*rubs nipples* Keep talking dirty to us, salt-shaker.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015

Please do what floats your boat. Not having coherent fictional rates of currencies is like an itch I can't scratch.

On-topic : Bess is my favourite bot ! (Mostly because the romance content is to die for). That said, I can definitely see Bess and Gianna being originally in the same price range, with the Bess AI-model having become more expensive because of the recall. However, 165,000 credits for a starship... given that the pc can easily gather around 10k creds, either you're talking really tiny, cramped monospace starship, or people who go into debt to buy a starship are lazier than most PCs (or they're buying huge, top-of-the line deluxe starships).

Fully Automated

Oct 11, 2015
Adventuring is just way more profitable than honest work. Kaede isn't much of an action hero, though, especially if it doesn't involve flying a ship, and the sort of stuff that nets you credits fastest (outside a few quests) tends to involve a lot of fighting. Not to mention Kaede bought her ship before the planet rush, so her "get rich quick" opportunities were rather more limited.

TheHappiestMerchantMan

Oct 5, 2015
We should probably assume that the mechanical abilities of the player to gather money is kept separate from the background/codex/world building exchange rate I may or may not be feverishly working on soon. OR we could go with automated's reasoning, whereupon Steele, being an adventurous sort possessed of virve and vigor and virility, can easily acquire sums that the average person in the mildly-dystopian universe of TiTS would boggle at.

ShySquare

Sep 3, 2015
We should probably assume that the mechanical abilities of the player to gather money is kept separate from the background/codex/world building exchange rate I may or may not be feverishly working on soon.

That seems the best option, given that the pc did not have to actually buy his ship, never has to pay for actual food/water/living necessities, and lives in his ship (so no rent or taxes to pay). Or we can assume that all those are paid for by Steele Corp.

Nonesuch

Scientist
Creator
Aug 27, 2015
Shame they don't have to pay for that stuff. Seems like it would be an impetus to do things they might otherwise consider beneath them. Not that I recently finished a seamstress expansion or anything.

Ormael

Aug 27, 2015
Heh so long thread almost tl;dr (but I did and my head hurt now...so many sane words...so little insanity here, a wyld won't be happy about it in any way or shape or whatever)

So thread supposed be about which one droid/sexbot we likes more and...didn;t it ends up comparing they techincal specifications and prices in the end?

Well I like Bess and it more than few reasons for it (most that would probably Gianna author mad at me so can't actulay speak so freely about them :( ) Putting aside all customisation things Bess got now more stuff inside to make her way more complex and thus in most cases more liked by people than Gianna.

TheHappiestMerchantMan

Oct 5, 2015
Do you really expect this place to stay on topic? we've a bloody general thread about myrellion and the horrific war crimes (GAS THE GOLDS VENOM WAR NOW) and that STILL spills over.

Woider

Aug 26, 2015
Denmark
Do you really expect this place to stay on topic? we've a bloody general thread about myrellion and the horrific war crimes (GAS THE GOLDS VENOM WAR NOW) and that STILL spills over.

And the anti-derailing threads also gets derailed. *waves a flag with a synthetic cooch on it*

Savin

Master Analmander
Staff member
Aug 26, 2015

Oh, you dirty minx. I bet every page of your Spice & Wolf books is just covered in cum stains.

Adventuring is just way more profitable than honest work. Kaede isn't much of an action hero, though, especially if it doesn't involve flying a ship, and the sort of stuff that nets you credits fastest (outside a few quests) tends to involve a lot of fighting. Not to mention Kaede bought her ship before the planet rush, so her "get rich quick" opportunities were rather more limited.

This is true; Kaede is basically a space-truck driver working for interstellar peanuts. She just needs her Big Trouble in Little China moment.

TheHappiestMerchantMan

Oct 5, 2015
Oh, you dirty minx. I bet every page of your Spice & Wolf books is just covered in cum stains.

This is true; Kaede is basically a space-truck driver working for interstellar peanuts. She just needs her Big Trouble in Little China moment.

You fucking know it baby. Expect several posts about relative values and socioeconomic ravings tommorow.

Nik_van_Rijn

Sep 10, 2015
Moscow, RF
 On behalf of my namesake and all of the Solar Spice and Liquors Company, I approve of the direction of this thread's derailment . If such discussion would result it providing the players with more options to swindle the natives, cheat the Man and be a proper corporate magnificent bastard, I'd be very happy.

As for the main topic, I personally find the concepts of both characters equally appealing. Bess undoubtedly has more content right now, but her story is, and probably will keep going in a different direction. The only complaint I have is regarding Gianna: why the hell do some random schmuck's (Steele Jr's)  reactions and opinions have so much power over her? I know that the ease with which PC can undermine her confidence is a gameplay/fetish(?) related thing, but still, it doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway, I chose the middle option in the poll, and I'd like to ask OP to rephrase it or make an additional one. Right now it sounds like 'Whatever, I don't really care about those characters outside of banging them' and my opinion is more along the lines of 'I love both of those characters equally, they are quite different but equally awesome'.

Yvenne

Oct 25, 2015
 On behalf of my namesake and all of the Solar Spice and Liquors Company, I approve of the direction of this thread's derailment . If such discussion would result it providing the players with more options to swindle the natives, cheat the Man and be a proper corporate magnificent bastard, I'd be very happy.

As for the main topic, I personally find the concepts of both characters equally appealing. Bess undoubtedly has more content right now, but her story is, and probably will remain going in a different direction. The only complaint I have is regarding Gianna: why the hell do some random asshole's reactions and opinions have so much power over her? I know that the ease with which PC can undermine her confidence is a gameplay/fetish(?) related thing, but still, it doesn't sit well with me.

Anyway, I chose the middle option in the poll, and I'd like to ask OP to rephrase it or make an additional one. Right now it sounds like 'Whatever, I don't really care about those characters outside of banging them' and my opinion is more along the lines of 'I love both of those characters equally, they are quite different but equally awesome'.

Ah, sorry bout that xD  changed. Is the new wording okay? :p

You fucking know it baby. Expect several posts about relative values and socioeconomic ravings tommorow.

Lol ahahaha this thread derailed fast xD  But this is one derailment I can get behind. Yes, I would love it as well, if TiTS economy started making more sense.  :thumbsup:

Right now it's just :homebrew:

Ravelordnito

Sep 17, 2015
Lol ahahaha this thread derailed fast xD  But this is one derailment I can get behind. Yes, I would love it as well, if TiTS economy started making more sense.  :thumbsup:

Right now it's just :homebrew:

A good thread derail is a sign of a great forum. Reminds of of that time the bay12 forums had a thread about killing wagons evolved into the creation of a mod that allowed the ability to turn living things into wagons then got derailed again into a multi-page long argument on the etymology of the word "wagonmancer"  vs "wagonurgy".

I'm pretty sure everyone here gets their rocks off on that sweet, succulent taste of a balanced and logical economic system.

On-topic: I prefer bess because of customiation and because  of we get to be a central part of her character development compared to gianna were it feels like she is already a finished character and anything the pc can do is just bonus content.