Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Rags Player won't run
11-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Exclamation Rags Player won't run
No matter what I try, I cannot get this game to work. In fact, I cannot get -any- rags game to work, yet the designer appears to work just fine. Before I complain further, I have win7 (not 64 bit) and .NET 4.5 framework. At first I thought WMP 12 was the problem, since it came with win7 and what I could dig up about other people having problems with rags seemed to imply rags required WMP to run, just not version 12. So I went through the laborious process of downgrading to version 11, which was successful. Still, the rags player did not want to run. No error is provided either, viewing the application log in the event viewer turns up a strange looking error call too (scroll down).

Code:
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IntCreateWindowEx(Int32, System.String, System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateWindowEx(Int32, System.String, System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams​)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+MarshalingControl..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.get_MarshalingControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.InstallIfNeeded()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor(Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor()
   at Rags.frmMain..ctor()
   at Rags.frmMain.cadd579457037731765088f25c6b29b99()

Prior to downgrading WMP 12 to WMP 11, the event viewer specified that NTDLL.dll was causing a fault - which is part of the .NET core iirc. Now it just seems to DERP and implode onto itself.

At this point, I chucked logic out the window and decided to try to load the rags player into IlSpy and Reflector, only to find neither can correctly disassemble or crack open either assemblies. So now, I am at complete and utter loss as to what to do. No help can be found at rags' forum as the place is apparently a shit hole filled with spam advertisements... not to mention someone else had apparently an identical problem and the author of the damn application had no clue what was happening.

I've -wanted- to try cursed, I've read about it, and people have talked about it and praised it. Yet I can't seem to even touch the damned thing. I can't even open the rags file through the ragsdesigner app either, it asks for a password.

(seriously, why would anyone make an application with some cryptic dependency like windows media player in the first place?!)

Someone? Anyone? Help... please?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
RE: Rags Player won't run
(11-18-2012 06:57 PM)Dubby Wrote:  No matter what I try, I cannot get this game to work. In fact, I cannot get -any- rags game to work, yet the designer appears to work just fine. Before I complain further, I have win7 (not 64 bit) and .NET 4.5 framework. At first I thought WMP 12 was the problem, since it came with win7 and what I could dig up about other people having problems with rags seemed to imply rags required WMP to run, just not version 12. So I went through the laborious process of downgrading to version 11, which was successful. Still, the rags player did not want to run. No error is provided either, viewing the application log in the event viewer turns up a strange looking error call too (scroll down).

Code:
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException
Stack:
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IntCreateWindowEx(Int32, System.String, System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CreateWindowEx(Int32, System.String, System.String, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, Int32, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, System.Object)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.CreateHandle(System.Windows.Forms.CreateParams​)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateHandle()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+MarshalingControl..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application+ThreadContext.get_MarshalingControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext.InstallIfNeeded()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor(Boolean)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor()
   at Rags.frmMain..ctor()
   at Rags.frmMain.cadd579457037731765088f25c6b29b99()

Prior to downgrading WMP 12 to WMP 11, the event viewer specified that NTDLL.dll was causing a fault - which is part of the .NET core iirc. Now it just seems to DERP and implode onto itself.

At this point, I chucked logic out the window and decided to try to load the rags player into IlSpy and Reflector, only to find neither can correctly disassemble or crack open either assemblies. So now, I am at complete and utter loss as to what to do. No help can be found at rags' forum as the place is apparently a shit hole filled with spam advertisements... not to mention someone else had apparently an identical problem and the author of the damn application had no clue what was happening.

I've -wanted- to try cursed, I've read about it, and people have talked about it and praised it. Yet I can't seem to even touch the damned thing. I can't even open the rags file through the ragsdesigner app either, it asks for a password.

(seriously, why would anyone make an application with some cryptic dependency like windows media player in the first place?!)

Someone? Anyone? Help... please?

Hrm. Well, I don't make the RAGS suite, so I don't know, really. I have Win7 64, with NET framework 4.5, and it's working fine on my end. I don't think it has anything to do with WMP, though. Based on the error, it almost looks like the NET framework was somehow corrupted or installed incorrectly.

Try the following: Uninstall NET framework and RAGS suite. Upgrade WMP to whatever the most recent version is (I don't know, I never bother to do that). Then reinstall NET framework and, when that's done, RAGS suite. That /might/ fix the problem, but I can't guarantee anything.

Also, for the record, opening a .rags file by double-clicking on the file itself tries to open it in the designer(editor), which is why it asks for a password.
11-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Hrm. Well, downgrading WMP was such a pain I'll hold off on upgrading it again until after the .NET framework is reinstalled. What I don't understand is why RAGS suite isn't just built to use C#. But heck, I don't know, maybe he started writing it before C# was around. *shrug*
04-29-2013, 07:06 PM
The problem is that rags is 64 bit, and your computer is not.
05-01-2013, 05:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2013 05:57 AM by Morrows.)
Rags player won't run for me either, but it's not the same problem.

Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    CLR20r3
  Problem Signature 01:    rags.exe
  Problem Signature 02:    2.4.0.0
  Problem Signature 03:    5027301d
  Problem Signature 04:    System.Windows.Forms
  Problem Signature 05:    4.0.30319.17929
  Problem Signature 06:    4ffa5c0e
  Problem Signature 07:    c2b
  Problem Signature 08:    36
  Problem Signature 09:    PSZQOADHX1U5ZAHBHOHGHLDGIY4QIXHX
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    0a9e
  Additional Information 2:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:    0a9e
  Additional Information 4:    0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Anybody know what this is?

Maybe I should make a separate thread?

Some useful info:
Using windows 7 64-bit SP1

Running japanese locale on my computer.

Probably not relevant, but I have a bunch of RPG maker RTP's installed.

Reinstalled .net framework 4.5, and also reinstalled Rags.

Anything else I need to mention?
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
I had a problem with it a long time ago, and I remember reading up somewhere to check if you have the Microsoft SQL server, so install it, and then see if that works.
05-02-2013, 12:34 AM
(05-01-2013 06:22 PM)Unknown_Z1 Wrote:  I had a problem with it a long time ago, and I remember reading up somewhere to check if you have the Microsoft SQL server, so install it, and then see if that works.

Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Service Pack 2
Is the one that's supposed to be installed, which I've done multiple times, reinstalling it and rags.

Still doesn't work, same error.
05-01-2014, 07:02 AM
If anyone ever finds this again, saw on a different forum by accident that you have to have Windows Media Player to use RAGS. That was my problem :/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Rags player has stopped working? Please help xjarshx 1 347 09-29-2014 08:01 PM
Last Post: weareanonymous
  Getting RAGS to work hunt11 2 1,663 05-24-2014 05:12 PM
Last Post: arus2001

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)